Keep punching!

Remove this Banner Ad

RIP.

Scotty a reminder there used to be proper footy journos that broke stories and reported stuff properly.

Like a news journo but covering footy.

There's many many more people in the footy "media" now, but very few if any are actually journos in the way Scotty was.

Read he'd had health issues for some time, so was surprised that his Twitter account was so active till the end, including on the Djokovic saga.

Watching hus old Palmer's Punchlines segments, was impressive hiw he managed to convey all the coaches reactions and key injuries in just a couple of minutes.

RIP

RIP.

Scotty a reminder there used to be proper footy journos that broke stories and reported stuff properly.

Like a news journo but covering footy.

There's many many more people in the footy "media" now, but very few if any are actually journos in the way Scotty was.

Palmer had many great attributes:
  • Was self-made, and worked his way up through his chosen profession from humble beginnings
  • Rose to the levels he did due to talent and commitment
  • Did not achieve the status he did as a result of nepotism or patronage
  • Was a genuine personality, who was genuinely worth watching/reading

Unlike some modern equivalents in the football media industry...

hamish-mclachlan-628.jpg

• Was self-made, and worked his way up through his chosen profession from humble beginnings

View attachment 1313372
Yeah Scotty Palmer was great and entertaining and relatable

Now you get smug, arrogant, self entitled w***ers like La Ham, Tom 'my daddy is rich' Browne & Seb 'you know my dad yeah?' Costello

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Yeah Scotty Palmer was great and entertaining and relatable

Now you get smug, arrogant, self entitled w***ers like La Ham, Tom 'my daddy is rich' Browne & Seb 'you know my dad yeah?' Costello

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
you mean Seb,the guy whos uncle allegedly ran an illegal underage boys brothel in the cross during the 70' & 80's ?

View attachment 1313372

Exactly. Great post.

And he had the respect of his peers outside footy too.

Like I said, he's an example of the dying breed of footy media who were serious journalists.

The back of the book sold more papers than the front, and had to be of equal quality.

RIP Scotty Palmer

Thanks for all the Saturday night updates as a kid! Pre internet, a totally different world.
He really was a trail blazer with his headline stories and rumours. In the modern era a Scotty Palmer would not have got a gig on TV, but for me he was something I always looked forward to. I don't ever remember him getting a story wrong. And, I always preferred the Sunday Press over the Sunday Observer

Who's still left from the pre-internet era?

He really was a trail blazer with his headline stories and rumours. In the modern era a Scotty Palmer would not have got a gig on TV, but for me he was something I always looked forward to. I don't ever remember him getting a story wrong. And, I always preferred the Sunday Press over the Sunday Observer

Who's still left from the pre-internet era?

I was a Sunday Press kid back in the late 70's and early 80's especially when the Cats won of course. RIP Scotty, he was huge in that era and his segment in any footy show/game (He'd have a short segment on Saturday night replays, and often during the night series games too).

As for who may be left from the pre-internet era....Ken Piesse? He's now 66 y/o, and probably not too many older and still active, Mike Sheahan probably made most of his name from the 90's onwards, and the net pretty much was in from the late 90's for most (even if it was dial-up).

Another sign though that when footy memories now are 40+ years old, this soon to be 54 y/o is getting on in years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back