Strategy Keeping a Close Eye On: Chappy, Fagan, Roo, Reid, Shutts, Hass, Hart...

Who will leave the club first:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you're currently in the management/football department at the Crows, then you're probably elated with the situation given where the club was a month ago:
  • The only two casualties in the football department were two people so unpopular they couldn't possibly have stayed on in any circumstances.
  • Despite not having a coach until yesterday, so many players have been pushed out the door that the new coach is effectively railroaded into the sort of "Well, we can't really judge the results for 3 years or more" rebuild that buys them plenty of time.
  • A significant group of the critical fanbase has so completely bought into the idea that it's individual players fault, and not the clubs complete bungling of coaching and management, that they have cheered one of the club's most successful and popular forwards ever out the door.
Realistically, I can't see any of the current staff suffering consequences unless there is a fresh and new Camp-esque* controversy.

*Assuming there aren't new explicit accusations around this to come

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
Listening to the Cornes and Hayes show this morning, they mention that Burton does not understand why he was sacked after all his reviews claimed he was above average. His KPI were exceed expectation. Internal reviews BTW probably with Fagan. Fagan appears not to have had his finger on the pulse or did not do the legwork prior to these reviews to give a true outcome. Or have we been unkind to Birdman?

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Listening to the Cornes and Hayes show this morning, they mention that Burton does not understand why he was sacked after all his reviews claimed he was above average. His KPI were exceed expectation. Internal reviews BTW probably with Fagan. Fagan appears not to have had his finger on the pulse or did not do the legwork prior to these reviews to give a true outcome. Or have we been unkind to Birdman?
Internal KPIs can be skewed to help underperforming staff.

That said, it was Fagan who called for the review so he obviously felt something needed doing.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
If you're currently in the management/football department at the Crows, then you're probably elated with the situation given where the club was a month ago:
  • The only two casualties in the football department were two people so unpopular they couldn't possibly have stayed on in any circumstances.
  • Despite not having a coach until yesterday, so many players have been pushed out the door that the new coach is effectively railroaded into the sort of "Well, we can't really judge the results for 3 years or more" rebuild that buys them plenty of time.
  • A significant group of the critical fanbase has so completely bought into the idea that it's individual players fault, and not the clubs complete bungling of coaching and management, that they have cheered one of the club's most successful and popular forwards ever out the door.
Realistically, I can't see any of the current staff suffering consequences unless there is a fresh and new Camp-esque* controversy.

*Assuming there aren't new explicit accusations around this to come
Can't really argue with any of this except the part about Jenkins being popular. He always had a lot of detractors even when he was playing well. This is why he attained whipping boy status almost immediately when his form started to wane. The rumours of him leaking to the media were just the straw that broke the camels back.

If he was exceeding expectations, the KPIs were wrong

I expect our idiotic board set KPIs like "turn up to the office" and "respond to emails"

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I expect our idiotic board set KPIs like "turn up to the office" and "respond to emails"

It's quite obvious that things like make the 8 and attendance numbers would have been in his KPIs because that was the focus for us as a club on the field.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'd like to know who was reviewing Burton?

And given the unwavering defence of him from Fagan (see his emails/chats with Elite Crow) and Chapman (barely a month ago saying he was a superstar and developing into an 'elite' operator), it wouldn't surprise me if he thought he was doing a fantastic job.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He can't have "exceeded expectations" if make the 8 was a KPI because we didn't make the 8

Up until this year we had and I doubt they actually bothered with an internal review this year given the external one.

Aug 31, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Burtons’s arrogance would not allow him to see anything else

Never gets old.

(credit to dude316 - you magnificent bastard)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I'm a big advocate of Jenkins, but I'm not that delusional. That comment was about Betts.
Sorry. You said people were cheering for his exit so I assumed you were talking about Jenkins. Most people aren't cheering Eddie out the door. They just understand why the trade needed to be done.

How on earth could Burton have been meeting his KPI's? Are success on the footy field and a harmonious team environment not KPI's for a GM? What kind of ****ed up priorities does our club have?

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry. You said people were cheering for his exit so I assumed you were talking about Jenkins. Most people aren't cheering Eddie out the door. They just understand why the trade needed to be done.
There are numerous people that wanted Betts gone. And the population of those that do overlaps heavily with the "THIS CLUB IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE AND NEEDS TO BE REBUIL... oh they've sacked two people and made zero other changes? I'm completely satisfied!" club

Feb 4, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies - SNAFL
Getting rid of pyke, Campo and birdman was a good start, but chappy, roo, Fagan, Reid, Shutts & Hart are incredibly lucky to still be at the club.

View attachment 762883

Will be keeping a close eye on these guys, if they screw up again, they're out.

View attachment 762886
I am sorry. I tried to resist, I truly did. It does sound like you want us to keep our eyes shutts. I think we are already doing that!!

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
There are numerous people that wanted Betts gone. And the population of those that do overlaps heavily with the "THIS CLUB IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE AND NEEDS TO BE REBUIL... oh they've sacked two people and made zero other changes? I'm completely satisfied!" club
You're preaching to the choir. We still need changes at board level. I would see anybody actively involved in hiring Burton sacked immediately. I'm going to be pissed if Ben Hart is still forwards coach too. If they retain Hart, at least send him to the SANFL and get him to coach defenders.

We aren't going to get the changes at board level that I wanted but there is still some water to go under the bridge. We still have the wait for the footy dept. head to be announced and we don't actually know what our coaching line-up will look like next year. We know Mattner, Godden and Hart have been retained but that doesn't mean they will be in exactly the same roles. Hopefully they shuffle things around and bring in at least one new assistant.

Apparently the ability to communicate & make good decisions were not part of the KPI's... or the interview process for that matter.

You're preaching to the choir. We still need changes at board level. I would see anybody actively involved in hiring Burton sacked immediately. I'm going to be pissed if Ben Hart is still forwards coach too. If they retain Hart, at least send him to the SANFL and get him to coach defenders.

We aren't going to get the changes at board level that I wanted but there is still some water to go under the bridge. We still have the wait for the footy dept. head to be announced and we don't actually know what our coaching line-up will look like next year. We know Mattner, Godden and Hart have been retained but that doesn't mean they will be in exactly the same roles. Hopefully they shuffle things around and bring in at least one new assistant.
Has Hart been retained?

Was out of contract, so surely he doesn't get a new deal. Surely.

Back