Strategy Keeping a Close Eye On: Chappy, Fagan, Roo, Reid, Shutts, Hass, Hart...

Who will leave the club first:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Has Hart been retained?

Was out of contract, so surely he doesn't get a new deal. Surely.
Tbh not sure. I just remember Nicks saying he would get together with Godden, Mattner and Hart and start planning for 2020. This doesn't necessarily mean that Hart has been retained.

Does anybody know the date for announcing the coaching line up for 2020?

Listening to the Cornes and Hayes show this morning, they mention that Burton does not understand why he was sacked after all his reviews claimed he was above average. His KPI were exceed expectation. Internal reviews BTW probably with Fagan. Fagan appears not to have had his finger on the pulse or did not do the legwork prior to these reviews to give a true outcome. Or have we been unkind to Birdman?

I wouldn't be surprised if Burton is shocked about what happened.

I reckon the review recommended that Burton needed to be removed due to 2018 and the ensuing fall out and the breach of trust with the players.

The problem is that the club should have already done this 12 months ago.

The club stupidly backed him in and went out of their way to cover up 2018 and pretend that it was a non issue. So now we're twelve months on, Saunders has solved Burton's injury mess in 2018 and Creative Minds is now a thing of the past. In Burton's mind he most probably thought he'd dodged the bullet for 2018.

It seems pretty obvious that the decision to sack him was solely motivated by the review and if the review didn't happen that the club would have continued to back in Burton.

In his mind the club went from "don't worry about the injuries and the criticism of the camp, we'll back you in and make it go away" then 12 months later, "hey remember all the injuries and the mess with the camp? Sorry, but you're fired". It's most probably a valid question for Burton to ask why the club has back flipped and sacked him over 2018 when they spent 2018 and 2019 defending him to the hilt and pretending that it was a non issue.

Last edited:

I reckon the review recommended that Burton needed to be removed due to 2018 and the ensuing fall out and the breach of trust with the players.

The club stupidly backed him in and went out of their way to cover up 2018 and pretend that it was a non issue. So now we're twelve months on, Saunders has solved Burton's injury mess in 2018 and Creative Minds is now a thing of the past. In Burton's mind he most probably thought he'd dodged the bullet for 2018.

It seems pretty obvious that the decision to sack him was solely motivated by the review and if the review didn't happen that the club would have continued to back in Burton.

In his mind the club went from "don't worry about the injuries and the criticism of the camp, we'll back you in and make it go away" then 12 months later, "hey remember all the injuries and the mess with the camp? Sorry, but you're fired". It's most probably a valid question for Burton to ask why the club has back flipped and sacked him over 2018 when they spent 2018 and 2019 defending him to the hilt and pretending that it was a non issue.

Two words: Player Interviews

Three words;

Chapman is s**t.

Have you ever seen a bloke with poorer judgement?

He publicly backed Burton to be an “elite” football manager five minutes before an independent review identified him as a major problem.

This ******* is supposed to be the chairman of a football club board, and yet I wouldn’t trust him to tell me tomorrow’s weather.

He publicly backed Burton to be an “elite” football manager five minutes before an independent review identified him as a major problem.

This ******* is supposed to be the chairman of a football club board, and yet I wouldn’t trust him to tell me tomorrow’s weather.

I agree

It's almost comical how bad things have been under his watch and yet here he is still leading the football club.

It's a prime example of the toxic boy's club mentality of the club, it's the same mentality that protected Burton and was continuing to protect him until their hand was forced.

That was just bizarre.

I sent him a ripper email after that. I don’t think he likes me.

The thing is there was absolutely no need for that interview.

I wish people in the footy media in SA would grow enough balls to remind everybody this is the second massive cluster* we've seen at Adelaide during Chapman's reign. Do the people protecting him have gold fish memory and not remember the Tippett scandal? We really need to get some actual journalists with spines in the media, not this group of soft ball throwing sycophants.

I wish people in the footy media in SA would grow enough balls to remind everybody this is the second massive clusterfu** we've seen at Adelaide during Chapman's reign. Do the people protecting him have gold fish memory and not remember the Tippett scandal? We really need to get some actual journalists with spines in the media, not this group of soft ball throwing sycophants.
Most of the club ambassadors have been established to protect those running the club, rather than to protect the best interests of the club.

We need more people involved who genuinely have the club's best interests at heart, which includes being transparent when things go wrong, as more likely the club fix problems, rather than deflect & hope the problem fixes itself by magic...

I strikes me as strange that whilst all the events , strained relationships etc that were discovered by Jason Dunstall and his review that Fagan who was on hand and lived through it did nothing .

Imagine how bad the review must've been on Burton and Campo, given the club had no desire to sack them.
I definitely think there is a bigger story going on in the background.

I had heard that there was a distinct split in the club with Chapman and Fagan being on opposite sides (despite Fagan talking up Chapman in public regularly).
There is no doubt in my mind that Chapman had no intention of conducting a review. He was fully behind Burton and was very willing to keep backing him in. As far as Chapman was concerned they should have just kept on doing what they were doing. In fact right up to the review, I think Chapman was trying to manipulate the narrative in favour of keeping Burton.

Basically I think Fagan got his way with the review and the results of the review itself was so clear that the club HAD to act. This would have been a bitter pill for Chapman to swallow. I'm confident that his desire to stay on and see through the changes is motivated by him wanting to 'win' the overall war (Fagan won the battle but....)

Chapman has also started to realise that he is a bit on the nose with supporters and is trying to shift some of the mud that has been slung his way over to Fagan - hence the comments he made about Fagan's 'appointments'.

Fagan certainly does deserve some of the criticism about how the club managed to get in such a poor state. Our leaders were asleep at the wheel throughout 2018 and it shows.

Fagan certainly does deserve some of the criticism about how the club managed to get in such a poor state. Our leaders were asleep at the wheel throughout 2018 and it shows.
Saying they were asleep at the wheel implies ignorance on their part. I don't really believe that at all. They were making calculated decisions to protect the boys club and themselves. These people might care about the club but they care about keeping their own positions even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had heard that there was a distinct split in the club with Chapman and Fagan being on opposite sides (despite Fagan talking up Chapman in public regularly).
There is no doubt in my mind that Chapman had no intention of conducting a review. He was fully behind Burton and was very willing to keep backing him in. As far as Chapman was concerned they should have just kept on doing what they were doing. In fact right up to the review, I think Chapman was trying to manipulate the narrative in favour of keeping Burton.

Basically I think Fagan got his way with the review and the results of the review itself was so clear that the club HAD to act. This would have been a bitter pill for Chapman to swallow. I'm confident that his desire to stay on and see through the changes is motivated by him wanting to 'win' the overall war (Fagan won the battle but....)

Chapman has also started to realise that he is a bit on the nose with supporters and is trying to shift some of the mud that has been slung his way over to Fagan - hence the comments he made about Fagan's 'appointments'.

Definitely something stinky with Rob.
He's actually a good guy, but I think the Walsh thing has affected him.

Fagan is the CEO, Nuff said, he is the man in charge

you talk about Our Leaders you are talking about THE MAN FAGAN

Roo opening his gob was the best thing he has done for 2 years

You only have to listen to the interview he gave at before the Review started to know this is fact.

And then the dickhead has the sheer arrogance to state that nothing in the review surprised him.

You only have to listen to the interview he gave at before the Review started to know this is fact.

And then the dickhead has the sheer arrogance to state that nothing in the review surprised him.
It's worse because Chapman said the review's findings matched up with their own internal review. So they knew about everything and would have protected the boys club anyway.

Ricciuto did us a massive solid by blundering in the media with his Trigg impersonation. I'm 99% sure if that didn't happen, there would have been no review.

It's worse because Chapman said the review's findings matched up with their own internal review. So they knew about everything and would have protected the boys club anyway.

Ricciuto did us a massive solid by blundering in the media with his Trigg impersonation. I'm 99% sure if that didn't happen, there would have been no review.

Exactly this! And I'm disappointed no media have really gone hard for him.

Either he had no idea what was happening within the club and was blindly backing people in for no reason (which means he is an idiot as everyone in the country could see there were issues for at least 18 months), OR

He knew what was happening and decided to back in his pals regardless.

What is worse? Gross incompetence or wilful negligence?

That was another beauty.

Birdman had the quickest transition from elite to sacked in the history of the Australian workforce.

Fagan is the CEO, Nuff said, he is the man in charge

you talk about Our Leaders you are talking about THE MAN FAGAN

I seem to remember Caro saying something along the lines of the review suggesting that Fagan has little to do with the football side of things.

From what I recall she said that Burton was in charge of the football side of things and would report directly to Roo.

If this is true then Fagan can't be scapegoated for things out of his control.

Back