Remove this Banner Ad

Qwerty71

Senior List
Nov 30, 2012
OS
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi all,

has anyone got a good training drill or suggestion on how to teach kids to “keep eyes on ball” in contested ball situations? My son(u12) has a good kick, and good mark but almost always lifts his eyes toward the player coming at him in a contested ground ball situation. This means that he fumbles the contested ground ball a lot and finds it hard to pick the ball up cleanly due to him taking his eyes off the ball and looking at the man.

Hi all,

has anyone got a good training drill or suggestion on how to teach kids to “keep eyes on ball” in contested ball situations? My son(u12) has a good kick, and good mark but almost always lifts his eyes toward the player coming at him in a contested ground ball situation. This means that he fumbles the contested ground ball a lot and finds it hard to pick the ball up cleanly due to him taking his eyes off the ball and looking at the man.

I'd simply practise rolling the ball to him off the ground. Do a combination of rolls, volleys and hard volleys to strengthen his fingers and get him to handball it back to you. Make sure he positions himself behind the ball.

Then stand next to him and roll the ball out in front of him to run onto it. 58% percent of possesions are collected from balls rolling in front.

Also, if you have someone else to help you. Get them to use a tackle shield to bump your son before and after he collects the ball to help him focus on the ball more. Repetition is key.

Also, if you have someone else to help you. Get them to use a tackle shield to bump your son before and after he collects the ball to help him focus on the ball more. Repetition is key.

Thanks Zurgblade, what you are saying is pretty much what I've been doing with him most nights for about 10 minutes. Good Idea about the tackle shield I hadn't thought about that idea....cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back