Senior Keidean Coleman (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

lionshine

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This guy is seriously talented. Needs to remain in the senior side as his composure and skill set adds a point of difference. I also love how effective his tackling technique is for a smaller player. He buries the opposition when they take him on. You can just tell he has "it". Going to be a terrific long term player for us. So exciting to add another young gun to our plethora of talented young guns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

Kiddy kicks his first
The biggest celebration in Brisbane's win undoubtedly came early in the fourth quarter when Keidean 'Kiddy' Coleman kicked the first goal of his career. After missing the chance to do so against Gold Coast on Wednesday night when he unselfishly handballed to an unsuspecting Dan McStay, Coleman made no such mistake against the Swans. Receiving the ball deep in the left forward pocket, the Lions Academy product spied an opening and darted towards goal, took a bounce, stepped Luke Parker and converted from close range. His teammates flocked for everyone to congratulate him.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
UNSUNG HEROES - ROUND 17
Brisbane: Keidean Coleman

Playing just his third game, the Brisbane Lions Academy product gave the fans the biggest celebration of the night. After missing the chance to kick a goal in his first game last week, Coleman wasn’t going to miss the opportunity again. From the left forward pocket Coleman moved towards the open goal, sidestepping Swans co-captain Luke Parker and slotted the major at close range. It gave the Lions a healthy 14-point buffer with nine minutes remaining in the final term, as they secured a top-two finish.

irel

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2003
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Coleman played as a junior in Vic and was in the open draft he had to go top 10, top 20 at least.
Not really. Effectively he was in the open draft and not rated even in the top 100. All clubs had the opportunity to draft Kiddy and ultimately passed on him. This idea that if he was this or that or if he was playing there instead of here suits the narrative but the reality is he needed an extra year development to get himself ready to be drafted, no mater where in the country he played.

dlanod

Sep 14, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS; CCMariners; NQCowboys; Ravens
Not really. Effectively he was in the open draft and not rated even in the top 100. All clubs had the opportunity to draft Kiddy and ultimately passed on him. This idea that if he was this or that or if he was playing there instead of here suits the narrative but the reality is he needed an extra year development to get himself ready to be drafted, no mater where in the country he played.
I agree with him needing the extra year, but I suspect if he'd played in the Victorian TAC Cup as an overager for that extra year instead of our reserves there's a fair chance he would've gone top 20 but had less impact when he made his debut because a) easier to observe, b) not attached to a club as that does depreciate a player, and c) the Victorian U18 comps are a lot more conducive to showcasing individual efforts instead of teaching players a role. So he would've been seen more and had more chance to show off his talent, but I doubt he would have been as AFL ready.

irel

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2003
WA
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I agree with him needing the extra year, but I suspect if he'd played in the Victorian TAC Cup as an overager for that extra year instead of our reserves there's a fair chance he would've gone top 20 but had less impact when he made his debut because a) easier to observe, b) not attached to a club as that does depreciate a player, and c) the Victorian U18 comps are a lot more conducive to showcasing individual efforts instead of teaching players a role. So he would've been seen more and had more chance to show off his talent, but I doubt he would have been as AFL ready.
Yeah, ifs and buts. Who is to say that playing TAC his deficiencies would have been more pronounced and visible, as you say he would not have been AFL ready thus not even drafted, even at 19 years of age. What is certain is at 18 he was not ready to be drafted because all clubs assessed him as not ready. Another year in the system developed him to be drafted. Another year on an AFL list got him ready to be AFL standard when his opportunity presented. The other narratives are just fluff and Ifs and buts. Lets be happy he ended up on our list.

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Coleman looked fantastic up forward early last year. The Lions then decided to move him down back to get some "experience". The lower profile probably resulted in him slipping down the draft list. If he had being playing TAC I think that would not have happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quigley

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2006
Bangalla
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was solid but nothing spectacular. Seemed to be learning the position as he went along. He did not seem to have as much of a feel for the position as he does up forward. He did not get as many disposals as I would have liked him to have gotten.

Tom14

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I remember thinking watching the neafl after our loss to Collingwood that Kiddy would have played seniors if he was on the list. He was clearly among the best 2-3 on ground that day.

jjami15

Premiership Player
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was solid but nothing spectacular. Seemed to be learning the position as he went along. He did not seem to have as much of a feel for the position as he does up forward. He did not get as many disposals as I would have liked him to have gotten.
Didn’t he play as HBF in the under 18 Nationals?

Top Bottom