Senior Keidean Coleman (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Season Review: J. Berry & K. Coleman

2021 was a tough slog for Jarrod Berry as he battled with niggling injuries, while Keidean Coleman solidified his spot in Chris Fagan’s Best 22 across half-back.

Meanwhile, Keidean Coleman’s transition from goal sneak to half-back was one that impressed a lot of Lions fans.

After playing in the opening two rounds of the season, the 21-year-old returned to the VFL where he was trialled as a defender.

Coleman returned to Chris Fagan’s side in Round 8, where he stayed for the remainder of the season, utilising his silky left foot and impressive aerial skills to rebound off the back flank.

He was also one of the Lions best contributors through the Finals series where he showcased composure beyond his years as well as his exciting tackling pressure.

For his impressive season, Coleman was also awarded the 2021 Rookie of the Year award.

Coleman Lifts in the Heat of the Finals

In a coming-of-age performance, Coleman was dynamic in Brisbane’s heartbreaking one-point semi-final loss to the Western Bulldogs.

Winning 15 disposals while playing a defensive role on the dangerous Dogs small forwards, Coleman won Lions fans over with his aggression in the contest.

The most impressive moment came in the middle of the ground, when ‘Kiddy’ took on Doggies big man, Tim English in a ferocious encounter.

Season Averages

Disposals – 9

Kicks – 4.9

Handballs – 4.1

Marks – 2.4

Tackles – 1.8

Keidean Coleman has celebrated his breakthrough season by signing a two-year contract extension that ties him to the Lions until the end of 2024.

Coleman played 18 games in his second year and finished the season strongly as one of the Lions’ best in their two finals appearances.

He began the season in the forward line but showed his versatility by switching to defence for the run to the finals where his ability to read the play and excellent decision making and ball use was a highlight.

Keidean had a good year this season and played some very good games in the backline in the finals. Could this be a new role in 2022?
The 21-year-old is a product of the Lions Academy and said the Club felt like such a home to him it was a simple decision to recommit for a further two years.

“For me it was the club in general and the culture they have created that made it such a simple decision,’’ he said.

“There’s no egos, you quickly learn that everyone in the footy department has an important role to play and everybody in there is valued.

“Everyone helps each other out, the way people stop and help the property guys load things or the way the players clean up the sheds, that is the kind of environment I want to be in.

“In terms of coaches, as a young guy coming in it can be daunting being drafted into the AFL system but our coaches, and that’s everyone from the academy coaches, VFL coaches and Fages and his coaches, they not only help out with your footy but also your life off the field.

“The investment of time into people is tremendous.

“For me it was a no brainer to re-sign.’’

Coleman Sidelined For Extended Stint

The pre-season hype around Keidean Coleman has been put on ice with the dashing defender ruled out for two months with a hamstring injury.

After a standout finals series following a late season switch to half back, the anticipation among Lions fans across the summer has been on the impact Coleman could have to Brisbane’s defence with a permanent move there in 2022.

He was a shining light in the intra-club matches and started the AAMI Series win over the Bulldogs in blistering fashion before injuring his hamstring in the second quarter.

Lions high performance manager Damien Austin said scans on Sunday afternoon revealed some tough news for the 21-year-old.

“It showed a relatively substantial hamstring strain so we will take our time with that, so it will probably be eight to ten weeks,’’ he said.

Where does Kiddy fit? Skipper's shift creates selection headache

KEIDEAN Coleman's return from injury is about to give Brisbane coach Chris Fagan his first genuine selection dilemma of 2022.

Coleman injured his hamstring in the AAMI Community Series against the Western Bulldogs in March, missing the past six weeks, and has now been cleared for a return.

The creative half-back had a breakout 2021 – among the Lions' best three players during their finals campaign – and would justify an immediate recall for Sunday's QClash against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

However, it's not that simple to slot back into the 4-1 Lions.

The main roadblock for Coleman is the success of Dayne Zorko's move into defence.

Brisbane's captain, who battled some scar tissue from a pre-season ankle procedure during the early rounds, has been explosive in his new role, taking the game on with his quick decision-making and aggressive kicking.

Zorko ranks second among his team for metres gained and score involvements.

To accommodate Coleman, Fagan could move his skipper back into the midfield/half-forward rotation, a role he won a fifth best and fairest in just half a dozen games ago.

That would likely result in Kai Lohmann, the exciting half-forward debutant against Collingwood last Thursday night, being put back to the VFL.

But if the coach wants Zorko to team with Coleman and Daniel Rich in the backline alongside Brisbane's three tall defenders and lockdown stopper Brandon Starcevich, he has to look elsewhere.

Perhaps Noah Answerth could make way? One defender in, one defender out. But Fagan said all pre-season the feisty Answerth was a best 22 player after missing all of last year with groin problems, and his first five rounds have justified that faith.

Answerth has spent time on a wing, which he could do again, putting into question the places of reliable veteran Mitch Robinson and bang-in-form Mr Fix-It, Cal Ah Chee.

Answerth, Robinson and Ah Chee all play with a physical edge the coach likes.

Fagan could, of course, let Coleman return through the VFL, but he's been running strongly for weeks and would appear ready to go at the top level.

So, whether it's Lohmann, who would be terribly unlucky after just one outing, or one of Answerth, Robinson or Ah Chee, there's no easy answer for Fagan.

Roaring again: Lions storm home as Dogs' finals hopes take a hit

Coleman's star rockets skyward

With Daniel Rich sidelined before half-time, Keidean Coleman assumed the mantle as Brisbane's back-half architect. He was magnificent. Coleman sliced the Bulldogs apart with his precise left-foot kicking, finishing with 24 disposals and a team-high 552m gained at 83 per cent efficiency. He took difficult kicks and made them, springing Brisbane into attack time after time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nine things we learned: Ryder's 2022 vintage is as good as any

6. Brisbane has a new backline architect

Keidean Coleman put himself on the radar of opposition fans in last year's finals series, and the 22-year-old Lion has now announced himself as a bona fide star of the future. Coleman played arguably the best of his 32 games for the Lions against the Western Bulldogs on Thursday night, stepping up in the absence of backline general Daniel Rich after he left early with a hamstring strain. 'Kiddy' finished with a polished 24 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency, gaining 551m and driving Brisbane's attack from its defensive 50 time after time.

Two Lions Nominated in 22under22 Squad

Kiddy_.png

Impressive performances throughout the 2022 season from exciting Brisbane Lions duo Cam Rayner and Keidean Coleman, has seen them named in the AFL Player Associations’ 22Under22 squad.

The pair’s selection into the 40-man squad puts them among the best young talent in the competition, with the criteria of needing to have played a minimum of 11 games.

Coleman has experienced a breakout season for the Lions with the defender’s run off the half back line, as well as his precision kicking making him a weapon for Brisbane.

Coming through Hyundai Help for Kids Lions Academy, Coleman’s journey has been inspiring from the start and his continued rise in the AFL sees his story continue to evolve.

Coleman and Rayner have been chosen in the squad by Chair of Selectors, Michael Barlow, and an internal selection panel at the AFL Players’ Association, with support from Champion Data.

The fate of the 40-player list is then in the hands of fans to vote for who they want in the final 22.

There’s extra incentive for fans to vote, as the fan whose team is the best matched to the final team wins a framed 22Under22 jumper signed by the Captain and Vice-Captain and their choice of either Apple AirPods Pro or Samsung Galaxy Buds Pro, thanks to Snaffle.

The final team will be announced on August 23 via the AFL Players’ Association’s social media channels.

Voting is open until August 18, so if you want to see Kiddy and Cam in the final team then follow the link and vote for them now.

Coleman Rewarded for Breakout Season

220350_AFL_22under22_Kiddy_Winner_Article_Header_V3.jpg

Keidean Coleman’s breakout AFL season in 2022 has been further acknowledged with selection in the AFL Players Association’s 22Under22 team.

The talented defender was named on the interchange in the star-studded side made up of the competition’s emerging players.

Brisbane Lions General Manager Football, Danny Daly, said Coleman deserved his place in the team.

“Kiddy has worked really hard on his game, and it has come on in leaps and bounds this season,” he said.

“It is an absolute pleasure to watch him run off the half-back line and he is such a beautiful kick.

“He has been a real key player for us this season and he is only 22, so it is very exciting to see how good he can become.”

Coleman averaged 18.5 disposals with a season-high of 30 against Richmond on the MCG, as well as averaging 6.1 marks this year.

Though it was his impressive average of 356.9 metres gained per game that highlighted his ability to run and carry as well as his precision kicking.

Coleman and teammate Cam Rayner were both chosen in the original 40-man squad which was chosen by Chair of Selectors, Michael Barlow, and an internal selection panel at the AFL Players’ Association, with support from Champion Data.

From there fans voted for who they believed were the best 22.

The painful defeat that spurred the Lions to end their MCG curse

But defender Keidean Coleman said the Lions actually took genuine belief out of that performance.

And it showed in Friday night's clash with Melbourne, as the Lions pulled off a stunning 13-point upset win to progress through to a preliminary final - back at the MCG - against Geelong.

"We hadn't won here (at the MCG) in a while but we felt like the Richmond game put us in good stead and we were confident coming here," Coleman told AAP.

"We played pretty good in that first-half (against Richmond) and coming in (against Melbourne) we were pretty confident.

"The game before (at the MCG) we lost to Melbourne (in round 15) by a lot, so as long as we were keeping the field tight, we were pretty confident.

"(Friday was) my first win at the MCG, as it is for a lot of our guys, so it's an unreal feeling and a feeling I've never had before."

The courageous Coleman exemplifies the rejuvenated Lions' spirit in this year's finals series.

The classy left-footer crashed into a pack late in the third quarter, before being assisted from the field by trainers.

Coleman immediately looked to be in trouble, but he was back on the ground to take his place at half-back for the start of the final term.

"I just got a knock to the lip," he said. "It was bleeding and just had to go off real quick and that was about it.

"Us defenders just rely on the midfielders, and the midfielders rely on the forwards. As long as we’re all smooth during the game, we were pretty confident in our defence."

Coleman finished the famous semi-final win with strapping on his left leg, but the 22-year-old said he will be fine to take on the Cats.

No Kiddy-ing Around for Coleman

Keidean Coleman is one player Brisbane Lions fans are excited about heading into 2023, and rightly so.

The attacking defender produced the best season of his 41-match career this year, seeing him become one of the AFL’s most exciting young talents.

This was officially recognized with his selection in the AFL Players Association’s 22Under22 team.

Coleman, a 22-year-old product of the Brisbane Lions Academy, has the composure of a seasoned veteran, tackles ferociously and glides across the field so smoothly.

Though his biggest asset is his damaging left foot, which can hit teammates with pin-point accuracy, clear the Lions defensive 50 or kick goals from long range.

The Western Australian born defender showed these star qualities in varies matches throughout 2022, though there it was his Round 20 match against Richmond where he really stood out.

Coleman received one Brownlow vote after he was in record-breaking territory which a staggering 742 metres gained and a season-high 30 disposals at 70 per cent efficiency.

Add to those nine intercepts, seven score involvements, six inside 50s and five marks – all from a match in which the Lions didn’t even win.

The half-back also dominated in front of a home crowd against the Western Bulldogs in Round 16, registering 24 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency and again driving the Lions forward with 551 metres gained.

Highlighting his value in attack, Coleman also had nine score involvements and five inside 50s.

At the time it was statistically his best game of the year, though that only lasted until his next outing against GWS where Coleman again gave Lions fans plenty to cheer about.

Coleman made his first match on Canberra’s Manuka Oval one to remember after racking up 25 disposals, seven marks and booting a goal to top off a brilliant individual performance.

The challenge now for the talented defender is to continue to develop and take his game to a new level in 2023 as the Brisbane Lions themselves look to go deep into September.

Coleman to Notch Half Century

230173_AFL_Milestone_Graphics_Article_header_Keidean-Coleman2.jpg

Classy half-back and proud Dalabon man hailing from Barunga, Keidean Coleman will celebrate his 50th appearance in the Maroon, Blue and Gold on Saturday against the Gold Coast SUNS.

Coleman has been a mainstay in Chris Fagan’s side after a positional switch to the backline in 2021 took his career to new heights.

“It’s a good achievement and I’m proud of myself but also for my family who have been there to support me on this journey,” Coleman said.

“I’m really happy for them as much as it means to me as well.”

Debuting in the Covid-19 affected 2020 season, Coleman was used in the forward line for the Round 15 match-up against the Collingwood Magpies.

“My debut against Collingwood was pretty funny because I used to be a mad Collingwood supporter,” he said.

“I remember running out and I was looking around, you know The Gabba compared to the MCG is a bit smaller but I remember looking up at stands and it was crazy.

“I saw my family and they had big smiles on their face which was really touching.”

Known for his tackling ability and forward pressure, Coleman booted his first goal in his third game, a Round 17 clash with the Sydney Swans.

That night he had nine disposals and seven tackles as the Lions claimed a 32-point win over the Swans.

“First goal up in Cairns, very tropical weather, a bit slippery and rainy,” Coleman recalled.

“I remember the ball got kicked over my head, I thought it was going out, but it bounced up.

“I got the handball ran towards goal, saw the Swans player coming over and thought he’s going to smother it so I sold a bit of candy and kicked it.

“All the boys got around me and it’s a moment I’ll cherish for ever.”

Coleman’s positional switch came against Fremantle in Round 8, 2021 and he fitted into his new role like a glove.

“My first two years I was learning my forward craft but we were over in Perth and the defence coach at the time Murray Davis and Fages (Chris Fagan) told me they were going to try me down back.”

He became a weapon that Fagan would call upon when composed ball-use and silky skills were required as the Lions transitioned out of defence.

A defender in his Brisbane Lions Academy days, Coleman’s path to the AFL was not a straight-forward one.

Overlooked in the 2018 AFL Draft, Coleman thought about giving up the game before a return home to Katherine saw his passion reignite.

The trip home and a chat with his mum reminded Coleman of the belief that people close to him had, that one day he would be a star.

And after 50 games he has delivered in spades.

Playing his milestone game as part of Sir Doug Nicholls Round, Coleman is excited and honoured to share his special day.

“I’m very honoured, it is a very special round Sir Doug Nicholls Round for indigenous people around Australia,” Coleman said.

“It is a great round to celebrate the culture and Sir Doug Nicholls and what he brought to the game but I’m very excited.

“It hasn’t really hit me yet, but I’ve got a lot of family who are very excited.”

A superb 2019 season for the Lions NEAFL side culminating in a premiership, rose Coleman’s stock amongst the AFL talent scouts.

In 2019 AFL Draft, Coleman was selected at Pick 37 by the Lions matching a bid from Essendon to secure the classy left-footer’s services.

A Lions Academy product and member of the 2018 Allies side, which took part in the Under 18 AFL National Championship, Coleman has been around the club since he was 16 years old.

Four years on and Coleman is considered one of the rising young talents with his ability to dissect opposition defences and hit targets with pin-point accuracy.

A key player in the Lions line-up and has used his skills in big moments in both the home and away season and across the finals series.

Coleman has played in six of the Lions finals but he believes that the 2022 finals wins were some of his most memorable games.

“The game that really stands out to me is that Richmond final and the Melbourne finals from last year.

Mainly because we were coming in as underdogs even though we were playing at the Gabba for the Richmond game.

“Everyone was ecstatic from the players, the coaching staff and all the other club stuff but when the siren went it was crazy and hopefully there’s more to come.”

Barunga is in the Nyirranggulung Ward and is located 80 kilometres south-east of Katherine on the Central Arnhem Road.

Qscan Injury Update: Payne Ruled Out

Fellow defender Keidean Coleman will be a test for the Round 11 encounter after coming away from the weekend’s match with glute soreness.

Coleman came from the field in the final minutes of the win and will be assessed after training on Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back