Keith Thomas to finish as PAFC CEO in 2020

His latest email is tldr "We ****ed ourselves signing a 15 year agreement with the SANFL just like we signed Ken because we are poor administrators so suck it up"

Sorry, I disagree.
You throw someone in the deep end and watch them swim.

Keith who has been in the deep end for too many years and can’t swim shouldn’t be left to drown longer at the expense of someone who may be a strong swimmer and has a chance of getting out of the deep end.

Ian Torp for CEO ✌
It sounds like you have worked in some capacity at the club.

Apr 5, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It sounds like you have worked in some capacity at the club.

I have been in there and met some great people and many a days at Alberton. Also have been lucky to meet many of our past champions and people. I maybe am a bit over the top but years of mediocrity an

I Have been livid since that Richmond game in 2017 at AO that broke our season, Ken, should have been sacked that night.

It is common that Keith hasn’t existed since 2015 and looks like he has been on a continuing 15 day bender since.

Kock has no idea about football and is only in it for himself.

It can be easy to forgive and reset but until we get rid of the deadwood we will continue this journey for the next ten years. It was only two games ago we wanted them all gone.

raglan road

Senior List
Apr 2, 2012
Exeter
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We're in uncertain times so we need stability doesn't wash. Keith, I'm sure is a great person but what we need is change and renewal; new ideas, new leadership, a new direction not a continuation of the status quo.

This is actually the perfect time to renew not a time to retreat back in fear of what the future might hold. We've got a chance to be bold and confident again not scared and reactionary. And if nothing more supporters need to see change in leadership not just in players and underlings.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have been in there and met some great people and many a days at Alberton. Also have been lucky to meet many of our past champions and people. I maybe am a bit over the top but years of mediocrity an

I Have been livid since that Richmond game in 2017 at AO that broke our season, Ken, should have been sacked that night.

It is common that Keith hasn’t existed since 2015 and looks like he has been on a continuing 15 day bender since.

It can be easy to forgive and reset but until we get rid of the deadwood we will continue this journey for the next ten years. It was only two games ago we wanted them all gone.
I've wanted them gone since the Freo loss in 2015.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Agreed that all 3 K's need to be gone, but in my opinion Koch was the first of them to be exposed as a fraud!
After the honeymoon period of 2013-14 his lack of genuine football knowledge became glaringly evident virtually every time he opened his mouth, and I doubt we will ever be any more than `a little old blue collar club from Alberton ' while he is involved.

Regardless of any other hierarchal or coaching changes we need to give him the rissole asap!

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Next season will be a do what your told and try to maintain what you have type of season. Competitive advantage will be difficult to find. I've been anti Thomas for quite some time but I'm not sure a new CEO walking into the cluster * that will be next year is the smartest thing either. I'd be more inclined to let Thomas go on into the off season and start looking for a new CEO when we have a more firm idea of what the AFL is going to look like in 2021 and beyond.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I think Darren Cahill's brief journey on the board speaks volumes. I know for a fact that a departing staff member laid it all bare for Darren on his arrival, and didn't hold back. I was excited at the change he may bring. Guess not :(

Next season will be a do what your told and try to maintain what you have type of season. Competitive advantage will be difficult to find. I've been anti Thomas for quite some time but I'm not sure a new CEO walking into the cluster fu** that will be next year is the smartest thing either. I'd be more inclined to let Thomas go on into the off season and start looking for a new CEO when we have a more firm idea of what the AFL is going to look like in 2021 and beyond.

Also makes it easier to find a ceo as the cost of sacking Ken will be zero after 2021 so no financial penalty.

"In 2010 we were finally successful in securing SANFL approval (after two attempts!) in pulling the Club back together under the One Club model."

What were the other 2 years? I'm assuming one was the original fight in the mid 90s?

"No other AFL Club had a ‘zone’ so the AFL stipulated at the time that we had a choice, be an AFL Club and in doing so relinquish the zones, or go back to being an SANFL Club.

For us to have an SANFL zone, would mean that we would have to separate every element of the SANFL program from the AFL program.

Port Adelaide is totally committed to continuing its incredible legacy in the SANFL from 2021 onwards. We are unequivocal about this and unwavering in our desire to return. We look forward to pulling on that famous Prison Bar guernsey in 2021, making Alberton Oval a fortress
and ensuring Port Adelaide thrives in both the SANFL and the AFL."

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. We can't wait to play sanfl so that we can wear the PB? Very weak.

2. Thomas stood up on a Monday night to sell to the faithful a big promise of greatness with our zones stripped from us but he said that the sanfl told him "you either want to be an afl club or an sanfl club" .... he never said the AFL said it. So which said it ... sanfl or afl ... or both?

1. We can't wait to play sanfl so that we can wear the PB? Very weak.

2. Thomas stood up on a Monday night to sell to the faithful a big promise of greatness with our zones stripped from us but he said that the sanfl told him "you either want to be an afl club or an sanfl club" .... he never said the AFL said it. So which said it ... sanfl or afl ... or both?
I don't understand how the AFL would be against us having a zone, as long as we don't get a draft advantage, the role these kids would play would be SANFL topup players, and then developed to enter the AFL draft if they are good enough.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't understand how the AFL would be against us having a zone, as long as we don't get a draft advantage, the role these kids would play would be SANFL topup players, and then developed to enter the AFL draft if they are good enough.

Yeah, thus when we lost the zones Thomas said the sanfl commission gave us that ultimatum but now he says the AFL said it. Exact wording as well.

I agree with you. It would be like Freo and WC who previously were sending their reserves to the one wafl club respectively that had the full compliment of juniors and zones. I can't see how the afl gave this ultimatum.

I think Darren Cahill's brief journey on the board speaks volumes. I know for a fact that a departing staff member laid it all bare for Darren on his arrival, and didn't hold back. I was excited at the change he may bring. Guess not :(
What in particular did he lay bare? finances? thinking about KT's ability? the club? footy department? All encompasses quite a bit.

Yeah, thus when we lost the zones Thomas said the sanfl commission gave us that ultimatum but now he says the AFL said it. Exact wording as well.

I agree with you. It would be like Freo and WC who previously were sending their reserves to the one wafl club respectively that had the full compliment of juniors and zones. I can't see how the afl gave this ultimatum.
It was all tied up with getting the licence back. Negotiation with the SANFL was in August and September 2013, 1st of November 2013 new Constitution starts with the AFL becoming our controllers rather than the SANFL.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
What in particular did he lay bare? finances? thinking about KT's ability? the club? footy department? All encompasses quite a bit.
Wasn't only about KT. My contact just gave Darren a really well-informed climate check from a staff perspective. From my experience working with this person, the summary would've been articulate, accurate and without emotion. Let's just say Darren would've gone into his role with his eyes wide open as to the politics on the ground...

Just some of the comments on this forum over the past few months have me confused. Is he still involved? Wasn't there talks it was only going to be a 12mth stint when he was first elected?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Have you seen any announcement that says he has resigned from the board? Board members - outside the chair - don't normally have a public profile. He has. Just because you haven't heard from him in a while doesn't mean he has resigned as a board member. There's been a little lock down issue lately.

Back