Universal Love Keith Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

As I already said, I am still holding judgment until the AO deal is resolved. That is the thing that matters, not revenue that ignores costs, or the early loadblowing of fanboys.

How about feeling proud of Port Adelaide again? How does that not matter? The man has lead the transformation from an utter basket case to an elite club in 2 years. Don't be a hardass for nothing. You realise the magnitude of the situation re: AFL stadium deal in SA yes? Did you expect KT to completely change that in those 2 years too? s**t, if that happened even I would've probably found the fanboyism overwhelming - but it would be completely justified, as it is so far!! Lighten up !!

This stinks to high heaven. I for one welcome our casual overlord with open arms.

successful organisations need strong, decisive, intelligent leadership and KT brings that in spades.

Stadium deal will be the test of course but I have confidence in our team.

Out of curiosity Portia, do you feel that we shouldn't judge Travis Boak as a success until we win a premiership? And if not, what's the difference?

Whenever we feel feel compelled to complain about the two men leading our club, just take a look at those smiles ... And everything will feel just peachy again!

648473-90e4342c-858c-11e4-b6d1-a55c994c6803.jpg

Why is Walsh sitting next to a poorly-made waxwork model of Andrew Fagan?

Out of curiosity Portia, do you feel that we shouldn't judge Travis Boak as a success until we win a premiership? And if not, what's the difference?
You're not a great Port Adelaide captain if you don't have a premiership. We have high standards.

How about feeling proud of Port Adelaide again?
Pride doesn't pay the bills.

The CEO is not employed to be a Gandhi-esque figurehead, he's employed to make sure the PAFC is sustainable. Losing sight of that is the trademark of s**t clubs.

So Ford, you're basically giving him full credit for everything good and no responsibility for anything bad?

Sweet gig.

He did all these good things by himself, but other people are the ones responsible for where we're not performing - thats a Crowsian level rewrite there.

Not at all. I chose my words carefully in stating he oversaw those achievements as a good manager would. Please do not misrepresent what I said. I thought you were better than that.

I simply stated some of the good work KT has been part of since arriving. These are achievements he has a much more singular level of control over. You can judge him how you like, I never suggested otherwise.

Although I would say the Sistine Chapel analogy would be closer to the truth if it included the Vatican appointing the Petrilli brothers to help Mikey because they're good roof painters and wouldn't it be more interesting if we hired some local urchins to throw rocks at you while you paint.

After that there's this statue we want done. We know this stonecutter who can help ...

I think it's pretty clear that KT (and Kochie and the board) are not going to fold on the Adelaide Oval deal. He's not one for hyperbole - this press conference will be fascinating. We can only imagine how difficult and infuriating it has been dealing with the SANFL - and let's remember, that organisation came very close to kicking the Magpies out of the SANFL last year. Insane.

We have come from a long way back Portia and Keith has had to deal with the pungent stench world of SA football politics in his tenure, we have also had to spend to improve.
Hopefully the stadium deal is heading in a more positive direction just don't lose the faith we fight barriers not many clubs have to face... no quick fixes the next 24 months are vital though

Not at all. I chose my words carefully in stating he oversaw those achievements as a good manager would. Please do not misrepresent what I said. I thought you were better than that.
You gave him credit for everything good (and didn't name other parties), and no responsibility for any obstacles. How did I misrepresent what you said again?

Although I would say the Sistine Chapel analogy would be closer to the truth if it included the Vatican appointing the Petrilli brothers to help Mikey because they're good roof painters and wouldn't it be more interesting if we hired some local urchins to throw rocks at you while you paint.
Yeah if you think Michelangelo didn't have any obstacles in getting the Sistine Chapel done, you don't know your Sistine Chapel. He overcame them. You think being an artist working with the Catholic Church at the height of their power would've been less difficult than the SANFL?

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very casual boy. :D

You couldn't crucify KT, he'd have to be tied to a hammock instead.

The afl gave the sanfl the monopoly power and the government locked it in at AO. They are the ones who will take it away not KT.

So far he has tried to play the bargaining game behind the scene and try and negotiate his way to a better deal. To use a Keatingism, someone has to take the sword out and use it. I have my doubt that Gill, Jay or KT have the desire to want to use it and end up with blood on their hands. I have noidea if Fagan has the desire or ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People would get sick of me saying `I'm waiting for the outcome of the AO deal' every day for the past couple of years.

See how considerate I am?

And any issue I have is with KT's most irrational fanboys rather than KT; as you said, he's not the one pretending he is more than he is.
Portia, you are welcome to your opinion, I just don't have to agree with you! IF KT had of caved in to the SANFL 5 months ago, I would be sitting with you on your wagon. The mere fact we are still here indicates clearly to be he, and our club, are holding strong for a fair deal. They are doing everything they can, and frankly, that is all we can ask! If at the end we are all screwed by the SANFL, and legally impelled to accept what we might feel is a lesser than optimum deal, would you blame KT and call for his head? Because effectively, that is what your current stance is dictating. The forces at play here are huge, and involve powerful organizations well versed in bullying stand-over tactics. KT and the club have continued to hold out against them ... They have my unequivocal vote of confidence so far.

As for this being a "cult of KT" or some sort of messiah issue. Nonsense, I am just happy to give credit where credit is due. Others before KT have also loved this club, and have done fine work, but he sits there now. He makes the hard calls. And by by reckoning has done a great job. I am with you though, that we want to see it completed with a positive AO review. I am confident he will get the best he can.

Time will be the judge. . Give the man another year or two before we can truly see what the overall management team have done. My past experience shows that it takes at least 24 to 36 months to turn around a company that was heading towards the shitter.

From what I have seen things have changed a great deal, on and off the field. Keith has a momentous task to full fill. Considering the bargaining power we have, that would certainly have made it a much harder job to do faster. Very hard to change a ships direction when we have only had half control of the rudder.

I'm sick of Portia saying "I'm waiting for the outcome of the AO deal' every day.

I'm wearing orange robes, I've shaved my head and I've purchased the kool aid.

The Cult of KT is alive.

Bootsinks and fellatio can both wait though, right?

As I already said, I am still holding judgment until the AO deal is resolved. That is the thing that matters, not revenue that ignores costs, or the early loadblowing of fanboys.

On the one hand we occasionally need the type of supporter that reminds us to not remain in idleness, and that there are always bigger achievements to be achieved by our club, however the AO deal looks to be a challenge that can only be turned around in our favour by a combination of KT plus a few football and government heavies supporting him. If it is left up to KT alone, representing our board, then I'm not confident that a completely satisfying deal can be achieved this time around but I wouldn't be heaping all of this responsibility upon this one man's shoulders.

I'm sure I remember that you said some time ago that you were holding your judgement on KT's performance as a CEO based upon the number of bums on seats he generates. I guess you are entitled to increase the height of the hurdle. If by some way we do achieve a very favourable AO deal this time around then I wonder what the height of the next 'judgement hurdle' you will expect KT to leap over.

On the one hand we occasionally need the type of supporter that reminds us to not remain in idleness, and that there are always bigger achievements to be achieved by our club, however the AO deal looks to be a challenge that can only be turned around in our favour by a combination of KT plus a few football and government heavies supporting him. If it is left up to KT alone, representing our board, then I'm not confident that a completely satisfying deal can be achieved this time around but I wouldn't be heaping all of this responsibility upon this one man's shoulders.

I'm sure I remember that you said some time ago that you were holding your judgement on KT's performance as a CEO based upon the number of bums on seats he generates. I guess you are entitled to increase the height of the hurdle. If by some way we do achieve a very favourable AO deal this time around then I wonder what the height of the next 'judgement hurdle' you will expect KT to leap over.

Portia is a very important reason why the PAFC is the sort of place it is. We will always need her and fans like her to keep us on the straight and narrow. When she is making a point its not to big note herself its because it's a point that needs to be made. I don't always agree with her but I always listen to her. If she wants KT to jump over another 'judgement hurdle' later, there'll be a damn good reason for it.

I must say though that of course I agree with her on this one. As Yoda said once "Stopped, they must be. On this, all depends." If we don't get a deal that allows us sustainability, then we might enjoy a modicum of success thanks to Ken Hinkley's coaching skill and our talented list. But it will fade, and we will fade, as our beloved club is drained by our enemies, and we won't have the cash to regenerate ourselves.

You have to think ahead, where are we going to be in 2040, 2050, 2070? And how are we going to get there? This is why this deal matters so much.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back