Universal Love Keith Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that KT has intended to deflect the heat on Ken because he and the board still want Ken but I think KT has not intended to be the board's fall guy. He may get an unpleasant surprise depending on how weak the board are if KT doesn't plan to pull the pin on himself. However I would not be surpised that they will all back each other and some poor player or development coach will be the sacrificial lamb instead.

The "stay tuned" bit better just not be the launching of the 150th celebrations and a revisit of the captaincy to win back some favour.

I think that KT has intended to deflect the heat on Ken because he and the board still want Ken but I think KT has not intended to be the board's fall guy. He may get an unpleasant surprise depending on how weak the board are if KT doesn't plan to pull the pin on himself. However I would not be surpised that they will all back each other and some poor player or development coach will be the sacrificial lamb instead.

The "stay tuned" bit better just not be the launching of the 150th celebrations and a revisit of the captaincy to win back some favour.
Of course that's what 'stay tuned' is!

I just found it a very strange email, completely inconsistent with all others that he has sent. What good came of it? Other than showing the world that KT is on his last legs?

Yea that’s fair, although I would say it attempted to address the disconnect that has developed with the fans, which I think goes beyond Hinkley and losing.

I just found it a very strange email, completely inconsistent with all others that he has sent. What good came of it? Other than showing the world that KT is on his last legs?
What it's trying to show.
1. KT is a regular guy, doing a hard job. Sometimes mistakes happen.
2. Ken's great. Blame me for everything wrong.
3. We know all you really want is Ken gone, but see 1 and 2 above, so 'Look over there! A blue car!'.

+1 with t-cloud

Rename BigFooty "Coward's Castle."
Also, the Port forum "The Alberton Grandstand Crowd."

Get on it, Chief...

Last edited:
Port is a lot harder to run than a commercially stable club like Adelaide or Geelong. That's why 7 or 8 years from a CEO is about as much as we can hope for, unlike Brian Cook who had 10 years at WCE and now nearly 20 years at Geelong. A flop like Trigg was able to last 11 years at Adelaide because they are financially more stable as well as all the other benefits they have in SA re media and other stuff. KT would be CEO of Adelaide for 20 years if he got their CEO job back in 2008, when we got Haysman around when the GFC hit.

I am a fan of KT, I have had a personal relationship with him going back to when I was with Eddie Dingle at AO for the Melbourne game back in August 2011 and we met him in the Mclachlan room and ED put KT in a headlock. :)

But backing Hinkley to the hilt will cost him and yes he has taken on too much, especially in relation to China and the the ACE especially trying to find the $12m-$15m needed to build it. He has looked tired for a couple of years now. Losing the way we have hasn't helped. I had a chat to him at the GFG announcement in February and I said to him you look a lot better than when I saw you 4 or 5 months earlier. He laughed, but said getting GFC had made things easier and we talked about its long term potential for the club.

The lost 2nd sponsor, not making more commercial gain out of China and doubling down on Ken will be his black marks, but he has had so many other successes.

I hope I'm wrong and he sticks around for more than a few months, but Hinkley staying or going ie the payout, will see KT pay a very heavy price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caro saying she was totally shocked by KT’s letter and also that they weren’t aware in Melbourne of issues at Port with Ken or supporters wanting Ken gone. Sounded surprised. She is not in the microcosm of BF I guess.

Of course they weren't, they're only vaguely aware that Port actually play in the AFL and if they did ever find out they'd probably be impressed that we've managed to get ourselves to 10th on the ladder.

Caro saying she was totally shocked by KT’s letter and also that they weren’t aware in Melbourne of issues at Port with Ken or supporters wanting Ken gone. Sounded surprised. She is not in the microcosm of BF I guess.
Port is low priority for the Melbourne media unless there is a crisis.

Ken is a good country Vic bloke who plays the Melbourne media nicely, with strong talking footy cliches, so when the Melbourne media do analysis of Port, that has about as much depth as a flea's footprint, then no wonder they are shocked.

They just don't understand us. The rot has been setting in for years.

For me it started with not planning for the worst case scenario re CAS ruling on Ryder and Monfries. Forcing Jacko to cover for their stupid move and then forcing Jacko out of the club, losing the 2017 EF and on it goes for specific things like co-saptaincy with the overarching problems of our game style, delivery inside 50, not playing a proper structured forward line, losing all the close games the same way especially at AO and killing the atmosphere there etc etc.

Thomas taking the big hit for the club diffuses absolutely nothing. .All he is saying is that this club is not going any where If you read between the lines he is acknowledging that we have problems but obviously cant call hinkley out. hinkley has not got the balls to acknowledge his coaching is below par, despite being sent pre season for some forced schooling. Koch has buried himself in a pile of ill conceived statements and decisions. The three stooges are dragging this club into oblivion.
All i can say is i hope Essendon have a field day at our expense, the sooner hinkley and co have gone the better.

Port is a lot harder to run than a commercially stable club like Adelaide or Geelong. That's why 7 or 8 years from a CEO is about as much as we can hope for, unlike Brian Cook who had 10 years at WCE and now nearly 20 years at Geelong. A flop like Trigg was able to last 11 years at Adelaide because they are financially more stable as well as all the other benefits they have in SA re media and other stuff. KT would be CEO of Adelaide for 20 years if he got their CEO job back in 2008, when we got Haysman around when the GFC hit.

I am a fan of KT, I have had a personal relationship with him going back to when I was with Eddie Dingle at AO for the Melbourne game back in August 2011 and we met him in the Mclachlan room and ED put KT in a headlock. :)

But backing Hinkley to the hilt will cost him and yes he has taken on too much, especially in relation to China and the the ACE especially trying to find the $12m-$15m needed to build it. He has looked tired for a couple of years now. Losing the way we have hasn't helped. I had a chat to him at the GFG announcement in February and I said to him you look a lot better than when I saw you 4 or 5 months earlier. He laughed, but said getting GFC had made things easier and we talked about its long term potential for the club.

The lost 2nd sponsor, not making more commercial gain out of China and doubling down on Ken will be his black marks, but he has had so many other successes.

I hope I'm wrong and he sticks around for more than a few months, but Hinkley staying or going ie the payout, will see KT pay a very heavy price.
Of the three Ks, KT is the last one who should be shown the door. It would be a shame.

But that letter was bizarre.
Bizarre that it was sent and bizarre that noone in the club stopped it going.

Of the three Ks, KT is the last one who should be shown the door. It would be a shame.

But that letter was bizarre.
Bizarre that it was sent and bizarre that noone in the club stopped it going.

It will be a shame if he goes … and he should be the last one to leave

but Blighty on 5aa mentioned that a CEO gets worn out a bit after about 7 years . Also someone rang up and mentioned maybe he is about to hand over to Darren Cahill :think:

Good post REH
Think about a football club. 4 revenue streams and 90% have no assets outside of land/property.
1 Membership/Season tickets- if you are late to market or don’t know what you are doing (eg if you lose key staff) you will run out of cash very quickly and then wonder what do we do before the TV rights distribution comes in
2 Sponsorship- not a strength of KT but tough to get in a small market like Adelaide
3 Stadium- we all know that SANFL drained us negotiating a sweet deal on entry and the SMA thing is marginally better. Have a middle group like SMA with conflicted interests is disaster in any business model. We lose, as its our product
4 TV rights distribution- 1/18th. Annuity

There are no secrets, just work around the clock like Big Bob, particularly if the stadium deal is locked in long term deal

Need KT or the CEO to be elite in 2 of the top 3 areas.

I'm also an unashamed KT fan, he always came across as sincere, pragmatic and instilled trust in me that PAFC was in the right hands.

If he goes I will be disappointed (particularly if he's made out to be a scapegoat for Ken's failings), but he's been around for 7 years now and perhaps the right appointment will bring in a new sense of excitement and ideas which will rejuvenate our off-field. 7 years is a long time in any role, and if this were the corporate world I would be questioning the value to both he and the organisation of staying longer.

The guys a fake.

Thankyou for everything that was done during our move to Adelaide oval but in terms of the football program it's been a disaster considering the resources.
You could be correct. We are not in great shape leadership or culture wise. He is the top guy and he needs to get outside of his office and build a winning culture

not gonna lie, bringing back the sole captaincy to win back some favour will probably work on me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back