Votes: 1 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry I meant back at the original trial. was it an option then?

Also if the Judge himself thinks the jury stuffed up there are sentencing options to alleviate this . I know of one that a jury returned a guilty verdict that left a lot of people stunned , judge included after his directions, the judge accepted the verdict but gave a suspended sentence.
Don't know. But there was an option to have the trial aborted after day 2 when Teduschi ran with a theory that she dumped the body in Homebush (big No No) and Lane herself said no keep going. Not even the judge could pull that off here. Still 18 years and eligible for parole in 2023 (13 years) appears to be a very light sentence for murder so go figure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #127
Midwives at the hospital. (time frame)
Her doctor
Taxi Driver
Friends

Just shed doubt. Thing is when there is a gap in knowledge people will make up any theories to fill the gaps. (like we do here). Defence attitude just seemed to be don't worry not proven. But that is not how people think. Come up with some doubt yourselves to muddy the waters.

How exactly? High Court appeal was knocked back. Needs a petition to re open based on compelling new evidence. Or the AG to intervene. Of which there isn't any new evidence and the AG won't get involved.
There's the witness in New Zealand who saw her in the flats and people who lived in there that weren't contacted by the police. The lead detective who said the investigation wasn't completed. I assume that to mean they hadn't even moved any wider than checking for the name Tegan Lee Lane into possible fraudulent birth registrations and dodgy midwives. An incompetent defence team as last resort. Give me five I'll find some more.

Nicholas Cowdery should also probably explain to satisfaction why Lane's case was 'prioritised' above others and rushed to prosecution.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's the witness in New Zealand who saw her in the flats and people who lived in there that weren't contacted by the police. The lead detective who said the investigation wasn't completed. I assume that to mean they hadn't even moved any wider than checking for the name Tegan Lee Lane into possible fraudulent birth registrations and dodgy midwives. An incompetent defence team as last resort. Give me five I'll find some more.

Nicholas Cowdery should also probably explain why Lane's case was 'prioritised' above others and rushed to prosecution.
Maybe the witness (Long shot)
The judge knew the investigation wasn't completed and still the trial went ahead. That would've/should've been covered on appeal.
Tegan Lane. You would literally have to find her
Incompetent defence- Matter for appeal.

I agree the conviction is unsafe (too much doubt) but I can't see her getting out. Look at the Jason Roberts thing in Melbourne, they have a new witness prepared to alibi him and still they haven't touched it. Only way she gets exonerated is if they find Tegan/Andrew Norris etc

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe the witness (Long shot)
The judge knew the investigation wasn't completed and still the trial went ahead. That would've/should've been covered on appeal.
Tegan Lane. You would literally have to find her
Incompetent defence- Matter for appeal.

I agree the conviction is unsafe (too much doubt) but I can't see her getting out. Look at the Jason Roberts thing in Melbourne, they have a new witness prepared to alibi him and still they haven't touched it. Only way she gets exonerated is if they find Tegan/Andrew Norris etc
Forget finding them - I think a single piece of hard evidence that Andrew ever existed would be a good start. There isn't any.

Somebody who knew him would've seen this show.

There are obvious flaws in the defence - no doubt - mostly technical things and points of law they didn't argue.

But I don't think it should be ignored that they did have a difficult task. Starting with one of the hardest things of all, a defendant who was a habitual, proven liar, who changed her story endless times, and who they wouldn't have felt was honest with them either.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #132
An interesting comparison on sentencing.

Leanne Azzopardi Drowned five-week-old daughter Hayley in the bathtub in 2003. Spared jail by a Supreme Court judge and put on an 18-month community corrections order (CCO).

ZZMM (name suppressed) Smothered her newborn daughter in the moments after she gave birth alone at home in 2014, and left the baby's body under a tree. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

QPX (name suppressed) Inflicted numerous bone fractures on her twin daughters in 2012. One died at eight weeks and the other survived, but suffered serious injuries. Pleaded guilty to infanticide and recklessly causing serious injury. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

Akon Guode Drove her car into a lake in 2015. Four-year-old twins Hanger and Madit and Bol (16 months) drowned and an older sister survived. Pleaded guilty to two murder charges and single counts of infanticide and attempted murder. Jailed for 12 months on the infanticide charge, as part of an overall sentence of 26 years and six months.

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
An interesting comparison on sentencing.

Leanne Azzopardi Drowned five-week-old daughter Hayley in the bathtub in 2003. Spared jail by a Supreme Court judge and put on an 18-month community corrections order (CCO).

ZZMM (name suppressed) Smothered her newborn daughter in the moments after she gave birth alone at home in 2014, and left the baby's body under a tree. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

QPX (name suppressed) Inflicted numerous bone fractures on her twin daughters in 2012. One died at eight weeks and the other survived, but suffered serious injuries. Pleaded guilty to infanticide and recklessly causing serious injury. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

Akon Guode Drove her car into a lake in 2015. Four-year-old twins Hanger and Madit and Bol (16 months) drowned and an older sister survived. Pleaded guilty to two murder charges and single counts of infanticide and attempted murder. Jailed for 12 months on the infanticide charge, as part of an overall sentence of 26 years and six months.
Did any argue reduced culpability?

Aussie_boy

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
This still makes no sense. So many possibilities. On one hand I don't think she would've done anything sinister to the baby but on the other hand surely she would confess to giving the baby away by other means.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Personally I think that she either got pregnant to someone high up or that the baby was given to a childless couple who have registered the baby in another name.
This still makes no sense. So many possibilities. On one hand I don't think she would've done anything sinister to the baby but on the other hand surely she would confess to giving the baby away by other means.
This is what I always come back to, and why I think she's guilty.

I can't think of plausible explanations where she'd sit in prison for 15 years to protect people for (relatively) minor crimes.

Add that to the enormous holes in her story and I always come back to the same conclusion: guilty.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #138
You would think she would but I'm not sure we can fairly judge her by an action we might take to avoid a long prison term without knowing what the real story is. I can think of a couple of reasons why someone might dig their heels in.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #140
This is what I always come back to, and why I think she's guilty.
Is that enough do you think though, for guilt beyond reasonable doubt?

Had she been convicted of illegal surrogacy/selling her baby to people whose identity she didnt even think to check or the arrangement was that she wasn't to know who they were, I'd be more comfortable with that. I think there's more evidence leaning towards that than murder with no body etc etc.

GreyCrow

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
You would think she would but I'm not sure we can fairly judge her by an action we might take to avoid a long prison term without knowing what the real story is. I can think of a couple of reasons why someone might dig their heels in.
I would take the rap for my children. Thats it

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #144
I would take the rap for my children. Thats it
Didnt think she'd be convicted, it's a year on already, she settles in to jail, probably had a really hard time of it but she's tough. She was playing water polo at eight months pregnant. (it's outrageous what a weirdo - Lindy Chamberlain was convicted for being weird) Wait for the appeal, another year or two down the track but confident she'll succeed. Fail. Her time has got easier to do and it's passing. Keeping herself busy looking for someone like CMH to take this on.

She has the same mindset and determination in prison that got her onto the womens polo team even lacking a lot of the talent the other girls had. So f*** you all. She knows she didn't do it and one day, her daughter is going to show up on a database somewhere. And when she does, Keli is going to get a big payout. Every extra year she spends in prison, the payout gets bigger. Verily f*** you all, especially you Nicholas Cowdery.

For example.

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #145
Repeated cases of disclosure failures (Australia)

In the Lane case, the apparent failure of police to disclose an estimated 2,000 potentially crucial recordings was only discovered following meticulous reviews of the case materials by our researchers.

Lane was convicted of the 1996 murder of her infant daughter, Tegan. The police had placed intercepts on her phone and a listening device in her house over several weeks in 2004 and 2008, but only a selection of those recordings was disclosed as part of the prosecution’s case.

We have made a freedom of information request to access to any undisclosed recordings and determine their exculpatory value. This application is currently under review by the Information and Privacy Commission NSW.

https://theconversation.com/why-pol...s-disclose-evidence-in-criminal-trials-104317

AFL Club
Essendon
The facebook group for this show is amazing. Here is just a few quotes/questions i found in 5 minutes.
- did they check the phone book for Andrew Norris?
- I've been googling for Andrew fiancee images, a couple of potential lookalikes there.
- I wonder if Andrew has not come forward as he is dead (posts image of death records of a random Andrew Morris)

Bunk Moreland

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
The facebook group for this show is amazing. Here is just a few quotes/questions i found in 5 minutes.
- did they check the phone book for Andrew Norris?
- I've been googling for Andrew fiancee images, a couple of potential lookalikes there.
- I wonder if Andrew has not come forward as he is dead (posts image of death records of a random Andrew Morris)
Yeah there’s interesting types in there.

One lady implored everybody to send pictures of the car model to everybody they knew to see if they knew of a car like this since 1996.

It’s a white Commodore.

Another theorised that “A. Morris” was a code. Morris Minor. “A. Minor”. She got pregnant to a minor and couldn’t come clean about it.

Yep.

AFL Club
Melbourne
Strange case and a pretty compelling documentary series to boot.

Ultimately, I think she did it. She comes across as dishonest and I have no doubt she would’ve had a lot of pressure on her in her personal life which lead her to commit an awful act at the time.

That said, the series has pointed out some pretty massive flaws in the prosecution’s case which I don’t believe to be narrative bias like for example Making A Murderer. It’s troubling that somebody could be convicted and sentenced for such a long time on the basis of pretty flimsy circumstantial evidence.

Makes it even more mind boggling when recidivist, violent creeps get slaps on the wrist with sentencing.

Last edited:

shellyg

Community Leader
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thread starter Moderator #150
Ultimately, I think she did it. She comes across as dishonest and I have no doubt she would’ve had a lot of pressure on her in her personal life which lead her to commit an awful act at the time.
Not sure here that she did it when she could have walked out and left the baby there. In the two days she had to tell staff she would put the baby up for adoption, the prosecution's case is she was plotting to kill Tegan. Plotting to kill the infant she cared for, gave a middle name and went out of her way to register with Medicare.

It might be more about whether she had a fair trial and imo she didn't and it's scary.

Top Bottom