Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
So busy they've closed the group and made it private. Seems the last episode swung a heap of people over, I wasn't seeing it so much until last night.

I’m in the group. Honestly, there’s not much there. It’s just a group of random people coming up with theories from normal to whacky. There’s no new info.

One theory I hadn’t really thought of was Keli “accidentally” killed Tegan. She was desperate to get to this wedding so she left Tegan somewhere - in a car, who knows where... and would deal with her afterwards, putting her up for adoption or whatever. She returned to find the baby had passed, panicked and disposed of the body.

Wow..

Just caught up with the most recent episode
What a schmozle of a trial... And the lack of vigorous defence.

The change in statement by the midwife on the time keli lane was released and the trip time to the wedding is a major issue for me..

Tedeschi doesn't present as honest

One thing on Facebook is there were multiple nurses in there that shot down the 14:00 discharge time. They said 14:00 would be the time the note was written, not the time of discharge. Plenty said it could easily have been hours before, they don’t stop and write notes every 5 minutes.

There was a statement from the mother in the bed next to her that she left around midday. That wasn’t referenced in the show. As with other things, it seems to smell a bit of bias.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
It's behind a paywall. Any chance of a summary?

CONVICTED child killer Keli Lane has been caught out on national television concocting a new version of her last moments with her baby in a program designed to test her guilt or innocence.

Lane, 43, told the ABC from jail where she is serving time for murdering her two-day-old daughter Tegan, that she had spent 15 minutes in a foyer at Sydney’s Auburn Hospital saying goodbye to her baby and handing her over to the man she claims was the biological father and his mother.

Sources close to what has become one of the country’s most notorious and saddest cases have revealed this is the first time she has ever made this “15 minute” claim.

The former water polo champion who hid her pregnancy with Tegan from everyone — apart from, on her account, the biological father — first told police she had left the hospital sometime between 11am and 12 noon on September 14, 1996.

There was evidence at her trial in 2010 that a mother in the next bed noticed she was missing by 12 noon but staff did not realise she had left with her baby until 2pm that day.

Lane was next seen at her parents’ home at Fairlight at 3pm that day — without baby Tegan — and went to a wedding with her then-boyfriend who was not the father of the baby.

When the Department of Community Services began looking into the case of the missing baby in 2000, Lane told a social worker that Tegan was with a family in Perth with whom she had not had contact for some time.

When homicide detectives began investigating, Lane told them that Tegan’s father “Andrew” — who she first gave two names for — had collected her from the hospital “dropped me home and then took Tegan with him into his care”

She said she had been dropped off at an address in Venus Street, Gladesville, where her boyfriend lived.

According to evidence given at her trial, in her next version, she told police that Tegan’s father had taken the baby at the hospital and she had caught a taxi to Venus Street by herself.

According to evidence at her trial, Lane also told different stories about the purported father’s partner, who she called Mel, and the father’s mother. She said variously that the three of them visited her twice at Auburn Hospital and that Andrew Morris/Norris and his mother had only been to the hospital once when she handed over baby Tegan.

There is no evidence baby Tegan is still alive and her body has never been found.

That Mr Morris told the ABC he was now not sure if the blonde woman he had sex with was Keli Lane.

Lane told the ABC that she was now not sure if Tegan’s father’s name was even Andrew Norris despite earlier telling police she had been to his Balmain unit several times and had even been among his friends at his 30th birthday.

“I don’t know 100 per cent if his name is Andrew because I don’t know at the time if what he was telling me was the truth or maybe I had made a mistake,” Lane said.

But she maintained his first name was Andrew because “he answered to that” name.

In 2013 Lane lost an appeal against her conviction for murdering Tegan and remains in jail serving at least 13 years five months.

I’m in the group. Honestly, there’s not much there. It’s just a group of random people coming up with theories from normal to whacky. There’s no new info.

I got in last night before they closed it as well, lot of repetetive theorising and asking the same questions over and over it became a bit tedious. Must be driving the moderators nuts, there's four of them. :laughing:

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I got in last night before they closed it as well, lot of repetetive theorising and asking the same questions over and over it became a bit tedious. Must be driving the moderators nuts, there's four of them. :laughing:

Yep. Honestly however, this is what they’ve asked for. The series was edited and presented in the same way of many of these types of things - light on conclusions, almost exclusively just throwing doubt on anything and everything (which really, isn’t that hard to do).

What they want is theories, and they’ve got them.

I can’t belive the amount of people in there saying what amazing journalism it is. It’s an entertainment series and is clearly not balanced, omitting mountains of facts. These people wouldnt know journalism if it hit them in the face.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Yep. Honestly however, this is what they’ve asked for. The series was edited and presented in the same way of many of these types of things - light on conclusions, almost exclusively just throwing doubt on anything and everything (which really, isn’t that hard to do).

What they want is theories, and they’ve got them.

I can’t belive the amount of people in there saying what amazing journalism it is. It’s an entertainment series and is clearly not balanced, omitting mountains of facts. These people wouldnt know journalism if it hit them in the face.

I'd want to know why the defence didn't ask a lot of these questions though...and zero witnesses called?

Shouldn't the defence have been throwing doubt on everything possible?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I'd want to know why the defence didn't ask a lot of these questions though...and zero witnesses called?

Shouldn't the defence have been throwing doubt on everything possible?

There really wasn’t any witnesses they could call. There was the one friend, the one whom Keli spoke to about “Andrew”. They agreed to pull her in exchange for the prosecution pulling Andrew Morris, who puts massive holes in Keli’s story.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
There really wasn’t any witnesses they could call. There was the one friend, the one whom Keli spoke to about “Andrew”. They agreed to pull her in exchange for the prosecution pulling Andrew Morris, who puts massive holes in Keli’s story.
But from what we have seen Andrew Morris would have put doubt in jurors heads... he couldn't even remember the sexual encounter and was lead there by police.
Defence could have called witnesses to go against any number of assertions put forward.

When u have the judge who presided coming out with doubts and the lead police investigator expressing doubts... it doeant give me confidence

But from what we have seen Andrew Morris would have put doubt in jurors heads... he couldn't even remember the sexual encounter and was lead there by police.
Defence could have called witnesses to go against any number of assertions put forward.

When u have the judge who presided coming out with doubts and the lead police investigator expressing doubts... it doeant give me confidence

He wouldn't have done well on the stand at all.

Personally, I think Keli Lane is as good as out of there.

She was convicted on her lifestyle and history of hidden pregnancies, things the jury shouldn't have even heard about. If she'd had a judge only trial she'd have walked. There's so many flaws in that trial it's hard to know where to start, she didn't get a fair one by any measure imo.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Midwives at the hospital. (time frame)
Her doctor
Taxi Driver
Friends

Just shed doubt. Thing is when there is a gap in knowledge people will make up any theories to fill the gaps. (like we do here). Defence attitude just seemed to be don't worry not proven. But that is not how people think. Come up with some doubt yourselves to muddy the waters.
He wouldn't have done well on the stand at all.

Personally, I think Keli Lane is as good as out of there.

How exactly? High Court appeal was knocked back. Needs a petition to re open based on compelling new evidence. Or the AG to intervene. Of which there isn't any new evidence and the AG won't get involved.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any option for JO trial?

If you apply and the other side doesn't object. No chance here. She has been tried and convicted and had all her appeals knocked back. Most in the Legal System seem keen to keep the status quo. Difficult. While transparency and community involvement and power is fundamental juries do get a high amount wrong.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Speaking of the midwife, all that's needed to register a baby and there's 60 days from birth to do it (may vary from state to state), is get a midwife to sign off on it. Pick a date but make it outside of the real birth date. She's become invisible as Tegan. That's just one way.

If a bloke shows up with a baby alone questions would be asked. If a woman/couple showed up and said look we delivered the little one on the freeway/at home etc we couldn't make it I can easily see that slipping past an overworked public hospital.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
If you apply and the other side doesn't object. No chance here. She has been tried and convicted and had all her appeals knocked back. Most in the Legal System seem keen to keep the status quo. Difficult. While transparency and community involvement and power is fundamental juries do get a high amount wrong.
Sorry I meant back at the original trial. was it an option then?

Also if the Judge himself thinks the jury stuffed up there are sentencing options to alleviate this . I know of one that a jury returned a guilty verdict that left a lot of people stunned , judge included after his directions, the judge accepted the verdict but gave a suspended sentence.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry I meant back at the original trial. was it an option then?

Also if the Judge himself thinks the jury stuffed up there are sentencing options to alleviate this . I know of one that a jury returned a guilty verdict that left a lot of people stunned , judge included after his directions, the judge accepted the verdict but gave a suspended sentence.

Don't know. But there was an option to have the trial aborted after day 2 when Teduschi ran with a theory that she dumped the body in Homebush (big No No) and Lane herself said no keep going. Not even the judge could pull that off here. Still 18 years and eligible for parole in 2023 (13 years) appears to be a very light sentence for murder so go figure.

Midwives at the hospital. (time frame)
Her doctor
Taxi Driver
Friends

Just shed doubt. Thing is when there is a gap in knowledge people will make up any theories to fill the gaps. (like we do here). Defence attitude just seemed to be don't worry not proven. But that is not how people think. Come up with some doubt yourselves to muddy the waters.

How exactly? High Court appeal was knocked back. Needs a petition to re open based on compelling new evidence. Or the AG to intervene. Of which there isn't any new evidence and the AG won't get involved.

There's the witness in New Zealand who saw her in the flats and people who lived in there that weren't contacted by the police. The lead detective who said the investigation wasn't completed. I assume that to mean they hadn't even moved any wider than checking for the name Tegan Lee Lane into possible fraudulent birth registrations and dodgy midwives. An incompetent defence team as last resort. Give me five I'll find some more.

Nicholas Cowdery should also probably explain to satisfaction why Lane's case was 'prioritised' above others and rushed to prosecution.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's the witness in New Zealand who saw her in the flats and people who lived in there that weren't contacted by the police. The lead detective who said the investigation wasn't completed. I assume that to mean they hadn't even moved any wider than checking for the name Tegan Lee Lane into possible fraudulent birth registrations and dodgy midwives. An incompetent defence team as last resort. Give me five I'll find some more.

Nicholas Cowdery should also probably explain why Lane's case was 'prioritised' above others and rushed to prosecution.

Maybe the witness (Long shot)
The judge knew the investigation wasn't completed and still the trial went ahead. That would've/should've been covered on appeal.
Tegan Lane. You would literally have to find her
Incompetent defence- Matter for appeal.

I agree the conviction is unsafe (too much doubt) but I can't see her getting out. Look at the Jason Roberts thing in Melbourne, they have a new witness prepared to alibi him and still they haven't touched it. Only way she gets exonerated is if they find Tegan/Andrew Norris etc

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Maybe the witness (Long shot)
The judge knew the investigation wasn't completed and still the trial went ahead. That would've/should've been covered on appeal.
Tegan Lane. You would literally have to find her
Incompetent defence- Matter for appeal.

I agree the conviction is unsafe (too much doubt) but I can't see her getting out. Look at the Jason Roberts thing in Melbourne, they have a new witness prepared to alibi him and still they haven't touched it. Only way she gets exonerated is if they find Tegan/Andrew Norris etc

Forget finding them - I think a single piece of hard evidence that Andrew ever existed would be a good start. There isn't any.

Somebody who knew him would've seen this show.

There are obvious flaws in the defence - no doubt - mostly technical things and points of law they didn't argue.

But I don't think it should be ignored that they did have a difficult task. Starting with one of the hardest things of all, a defendant who was a habitual, proven liar, who changed her story endless times, and who they wouldn't have felt was honest with them either.

An interesting comparison on sentencing.

Leanne Azzopardi Drowned five-week-old daughter Hayley in the bathtub in 2003. Spared jail by a Supreme Court judge and put on an 18-month community corrections order (CCO).

ZZMM (name suppressed) Smothered her newborn daughter in the moments after she gave birth alone at home in 2014, and left the baby's body under a tree. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

QPX (name suppressed) Inflicted numerous bone fractures on her twin daughters in 2012. One died at eight weeks and the other survived, but suffered serious injuries. Pleaded guilty to infanticide and recklessly causing serious injury. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

Akon Guode Drove her car into a lake in 2015. Four-year-old twins Hanger and Madit and Bol (16 months) drowned and an older sister survived. Pleaded guilty to two murder charges and single counts of infanticide and attempted murder. Jailed for 12 months on the infanticide charge, as part of an overall sentence of 26 years and six months.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
An interesting comparison on sentencing.

Leanne Azzopardi Drowned five-week-old daughter Hayley in the bathtub in 2003. Spared jail by a Supreme Court judge and put on an 18-month community corrections order (CCO).

ZZMM (name suppressed) Smothered her newborn daughter in the moments after she gave birth alone at home in 2014, and left the baby's body under a tree. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

QPX (name suppressed) Inflicted numerous bone fractures on her twin daughters in 2012. One died at eight weeks and the other survived, but suffered serious injuries. Pleaded guilty to infanticide and recklessly causing serious injury. Spared jail and put on a one-year CCO.

Akon Guode Drove her car into a lake in 2015. Four-year-old twins Hanger and Madit and Bol (16 months) drowned and an older sister survived. Pleaded guilty to two murder charges and single counts of infanticide and attempted murder. Jailed for 12 months on the infanticide charge, as part of an overall sentence of 26 years and six months.

Did any argue reduced culpability?

Back