Current Keli Lane

Did Keli Lane get a fair trial?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
I just went to watch the fourth episode and realised there isn't one. That means I'm up to date and can start watching weekly episodes as they air on ABC.

From watching the first three episodes and listening to those who know the case like the back of their hand, I am stunned that 11/12 jury members found the prosecution's evidence to be beyond reasonable doubt.

I wasn't familiar with this case at all and I thank the OP from bringing this to our attention.

I will now spend the next half an hour or so reading through the eight and a bit pages of posts (I didn't want any spoilers so I refrained from reading them until I had caught up).

If Tegan is still alive, who is she? What is her name? Where does she live?

I don't think a reasonable person can honestly believe so many people close to Keli could not have possibly known she was pregnant. Something very sus going on there.

Her one minute pause in the police interview. WTF?

Teammates all choosing not to discuss anything to do with the matter. Sus.

Her defence team not choosing to discuss anything. This may mean they realise they didn't do a great job.

She's now saying it's possible "Andrew" gave her a false name, or she made a mistake with his surname. Please.

Even if "Andrew" gave her a fake name, or he's dead, or he handed Tegan over to a crime gang, what about his mother, or Mel? Surely they would come forward if Keli's story is true.

The nurse's notes saying 1400 hours. It's quite possible she wrote those notes at 1400 hours, a couple of hours after Keli left the hospital with Tegan.

The Coroner offering her immunity and Keli continuing to stick to her story - she is clearly hiding something, so why not speak up?

I agree with the Forensic Medical Officer's assessment that pyschologically Keli was a lot more stable during her sixth pregnancy than she was in the previous five pregnancies. The Paediatrician appeared to make a similar assessment. It's not unreasonable to form the view that she wasn't cut out to be a mother until she was in her late 80s.

Police should really look more in to Keli's call recordings in January/February 1997. Investigate each and every person she made contact with. If Keli is telling the truth, it's likely she was in contact with someone at around that time who knows more about Tegan. It would be a long and time consuming avenue of enquiry, but this must be done in a murder investigation. Get IPND records for each person who was in contact with Keli in those two months, and investigate each and every single contact.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I just went to watch the fourth episode and realised there isn't one. That means I'm up to date and can start watching weekly episodes as they air on ABC.

From watching the first three episodes and listening to those who know the case like the back of their hand, I am stunned that 11/12 jury members found the prosecution's evidence to be beyond reasonable doubt.

I wasn't familiar with this case at all and I thank the OP from bringing this to our attention.

I will now spend the next half an hour or so reading through the eight and a bit pages of posts (I didn't want any spoilers so I refrained from reading them until I had caught up).

No weekly episodes - it was a three part series.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11...ZoWTtv3aSX-HQ9PAuh6LMI2_XOr2AGkaE8OaEN6eojAJM

More than 150 children were not accounted for in the nationwide search for Tegan Lane, the daughter of convicted baby murderer Keli Lane, more than halfway through the murder trial.

According to documents recently obtained by the ABC's investigative series Exposed, the NSW Office of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) could not account for approximately 163 children and could not rule out the possibility Tegan could be alive.

The ABC can also reveal around 8,000 births were going unregistered every year in the mid-1990s in NSW alone.

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
WOT

'.. the NSW Office of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) could not account for approximately 163 children and could not rule out the possibility Tegan could be alive.'

and Former Policewoman Avery said 'She found that around 8,000 births were going unregistered every year in the mid-1990s in NSW.'

There are some holes appearing in the prosecution case

Apr 26, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Case is at the same place it’s been at for years, nowhere to go. It was such a s**t show from the very beginning that it’s a wonder she was ever convicted, regardless of whether she did it or not, but now that she has been, it’s going to be near impossible to get it overturned. There’s hardly any evidence at all to even try and disprove.

The only chance that the ABC show provides is to try and use the weight of public interest to force a new trial, where I’m sure a competent defence team could poke more than enough holes to ensure reasonable doubt.

Case is at the same place it’s been at for years, nowhere to go. It was such a s**t show from the very beginning that it’s a wonder she was ever convicted, regardless of whether she did it or not, but now that she has been, it’s going to be near impossible to get it overturned. There’s hardly any evidence at all to even try and disprove.

The only chance that the ABC show provides is to try and use the weight of public interest to force a new trial, where I’m sure a competent defence team could poke more than enough holes to ensure reasonable doubt.

So which one is it?

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Define a 'fair' trial???
There were lots of things her defence counsel could have done to ensure a better outcome or presentation of the facts. That might be unfair on the accused, but it is what it is.
Come to think of it, there are a lot of things the accused could have done and said to ensure fairer trial for herself, but she didn't.
I find it hard to feel sorry for her when her version of events and, at times, her silence cruelled her own chances of getting off.
Her far-fetched story and with it the inconsistencies, holes and contradictions suggest to me she is most likely guilty.

sushshaf

Draftee
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
If Tegan is still alive, who is she? What is her name? Where does she live?

I don't think a reasonable person can honestly believe so many people close to Keli could not have possibly known she was pregnant. Something very sus going on there.

Her one minute pause in the police interview. WTF?

Teammates all choosing not to discuss anything to do with the matter. Sus.

Her defence team not choosing to discuss anything. This may mean they realise they didn't do a great job.

She's now saying it's possible "Andrew" gave her a false name, or she made a mistake with his surname. Please.

Even if "Andrew" gave her a fake name, or he's dead, or he handed Tegan over to a crime gang, what about his mother, or Mel? Surely they would come forward if Keli's story is true.

The nurse's notes saying 1400 hours. It's quite possible she wrote those notes at 1400 hours, a couple of hours after Keli left the hospital with Tegan.

The Coroner offering her immunity and Keli continuing to stick to her story - she is clearly hiding something, so why not speak up?

I agree with the Forensic Medical Officer's assessment that pyschologically Keli was a lot more stable during her sixth pregnancy than she was in the previous five pregnancies. The Paediatrician appeared to make a similar assessment. It's not unreasonable to form the view that she wasn't cut out to be a mother until she was in her late 80s.

Police should really look more in to Keli's call recordings in January/February 1997. Investigate each and every person she made contact with. If Keli is telling the truth, it's likely she was in contact with someone at around that time who knows more about Tegan. It would be a long and time consuming avenue of enquiry, but this must be done in a murder investigation. Get IPND records for each person who was in contact with Keli in those two months, and investigate each and every single contact.

sushshaf

Draftee
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Yeah that mother was exceptionally weird, defensive and vague.
Something has to be going on there.
Utter ******** she didnt know Keli was pregnant whilst being the team manager of her water polo team... three times! She is flat out lying there.
and the police actually captured a conversation between Keli and her mother Sandy. Sandy said something along the lines, well it is pretty unusual a young fella taking responsibility for a baby like that. I guess if that is what you told them, well then you did. Keli replied yeah I did.

sushshaf

Draftee
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Exactly. Not sure what they could've done, if she denies.........

BUT society seems intent on keeping up with these social myth morals and fairytales and when the **** hits the fan people can't face reality and still cling. Part of why she got convicted. Well a mother doesn't act like that so Guilty. And yet no one knows what's happened.
I am so sick of the **** shaming that has gone on in this case.

Back