Remove this Banner Ad

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
What an original thread.

Men bashing female commentator pioneering a "mens domain."

This is an incredibly narrow minded view.

I'm another who thinks Underwood is terrible, she does not have the voice for it.

I also think Isa Gua is one of the best cricket commentators.

Hopefully those two contrasting views don't make your biased little brain explode.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I like Kelli in general as a sports commentator and think she has gotten better since her first stint as a play by play footy commentator, but unfortunately for her, she doesn't have the best voice. It's like me, if I'd grown 6 inches taller I would have been a gun VFL / AFL footballer, but I didn't, you do the best with the hand that's dealt to you. She's having a crack.

Last edited:

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
I like Kelli in general as a sports commentator and think she has gotten better since her first stint as a play by play footy commentator, but unfortunately for her, she doesn't have the best voice. It's like me, if I'd grown 6 inches taller I would have been a gun VFL / AFL footballer, but I didn't, you do the best with the hand that's dealt to you. She's having crack.
Correct, I wish I was a rock star but can't sing for s**t and have next to not musical ability. I haven't been given jobs to ruin concerts because of my gender unfortunately

Like many have posted in here, there are many great female commentators, Isa, Doris Burke etc. Kelli isn't one of them and has the job for tokenism

Let's not pretend the men commentators are blowing her away though. Dermie, BT, Derwayne, Hamish etc. The bar isn't high for AFL evidently

Correct, I wish I was a rock star but can't sing for sh*t and have next to not musical ability. I haven't been given jobs to ruin concerts because of my gender unfortunately

Like many have posted in here, there are many great female commentators, Isa, Doris Burke etc. Kelli isn't one of them and has the job for tokenism

Let's not pretend the men commentators are blowing her away though. Dermie, BT, Derwayne, Hamish etc. The bar isn't high for AFL evidently

spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
She was insufferable calling the swans game today, BT level. Really disappointed as she's been poor this year compared to previous years. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm. She kept implying the swans will be distracted by buddy being in the 990s goals kicked and whether he's focusing on getting to 1000 goals, Gerard and Nick rightly disputed her immediately by saying the swans and buddy are focusing on winning the premiership. She also kept on saying nervous 90s etc which was annoying af, something i'd expect from BT.

yamborghinidream

Metal Gear Solid
Apr 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
WAFL
She kept implying the swans will be distracted by buddy being in the 990s goals kicked and whether he's focusing on getting to 1000 goals
Dude this was driving me up the wall too, who does she think he/they are? I would be genuinely surprised if the players have mentioned it even once, MAYBE it will be a thing if he was on 998...

She just says the dumbest s**t without even thinking, a team will go from being in the contest to out of it on one score, a player will have one good moment and suddenly be a star... just so easy to see through the rubbish.

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
This is an incredibly narrow minded view.

I'm another who thinks Underwood is terrible, she does not have the voice for it.

I also think Isa Gua is one of the best cricket commentators.

Hopefully those two contrasting views don't make your biased little brain explode.
Isa Gua is pure class, Kellie Underwood as you say is terrible, absolute.

qman

All Australian
Jun 7, 2011
Swan Hill
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Traditional vic teams
Would rather listen to someone scratch a blackboard for 2 hours.
This, my wife hates listening to her more than me. The missus isn't into the footy but if I'm watching and she walks in and she hears Underwoods voice, she'll mimick that irritating voice straight away, it's quite amusing.

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
She was insufferable calling the swans game today, BT level. Really disappointed as she's been poor this year compared to previous years. Hopefully this doesn't become the norm. She kept implying the swans will be distracted by buddy being in the 990s goals kicked and whether he's focusing on getting to 1000 goals, Gerard and Nick rightly disputed her immediately by saying the swans and buddy are focusing on winning the premiership. She also kept on saying nervous 90s etc which was annoying af, something i'd expect from BT.
Really hate this sort of lazy and cliched commentary. Insulting to the viewers and also the players in this situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back