KELLY TRADE

Remove this Banner Ad

chaddy22

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2012
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm a little fed up with people always blaming [PLAYERCARDTtim Kelly[/PLAYERCARD] for the position we find us in.We are in this position due to Rohan O'brien.Remember we could have got Oscar Allen the Larke medalist with our first pick but instead we got Brander.We didn't need two tall forwards and he overestimated Branders ability and underated Allen's ability.Had we drafted Allen with our first pick and Kelly with our second pick we would have a better list because we wouldn't have given away good picks to get Kelly back..I can't wait for O'brien to move on.

I'm a little fed up with people always blaming [PLAYERCARDTtim Kelly for the position we find us in.We are in this position due to Rohan O'brien.Remember we could have got Oscar Allen the Larke medalist with our first pick but instead we got Brander.We didn't need two tall forwards and he overestimated Branders ability and underated Allen's ability.Had we drafted Allen with our first pick and Kelly with our second pick we would have a better list because we wouldn't have given away good picks to get Kelly back..I can't wait for O'brien to move on.
It's not only that draft. Kelly and Ryan could have been had for virtually nothing the year before.

OP is spot on, we all know it.

Re: the Mid season draft, can somebody educate me on how it works? any idea if we get pick 1 if we are bottom?

Also, do we have a list space to pick up a Kelly or Marlion Pickett type in the mid season draft - ie do we have to put somebody else on the Inactive list?

Is everybody available for the MSD or only players that nominate?

It wasn't a great trade, but to blame our current situation on that one trade is so delusional it's laughable.

There's far more wrong with this club at the moment than one trade 3 years ago

We are devoid of young superstar mids, that is true.

We were never getting them (as obvious picks) with the picks we gave up for Kelly given our finishing positions (and penchant for HBF's).

In summary
  • Did we play overs? Probably.
  • Is it Kelly's fault? Hell no.
  • Did it kill the club? Yeah, nah.

We won a flag and identified the area of the ground we needed to strengthen to help us win another one. So we traded in Kelly who was a star mid at the time. As if we would have done a rebuild only a year out from winning a premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty obvious that it hasn't been worth it to this point and, given what our next few years look like currently, won't end up being worth it either. That said, not sure what more value there is in this topic. We took a gamble and it didn't pay off. They don't all end up paying off. Kelly himself hasn't done anything wrong.

We need to spend our efforts thinking how and where we're going to get our next crop than crying over spilt milk.

Important thing is that we try not to repeat the mistakes of the past, or we should at least make sure that the player that we're trading a high number of picks for is a safer bet.
TK was a barely established 2nd year player who was the 4th or 5th best(?) mid at Geelong and whose value was inflated by an AA spot and a top 5 Brownlow finish.

Important thing is that we try not to repeat the mistakes of the past, or we should at least make sure that the player that we're trading a high number of picks for is a safer bet.
TK was a barely established 2nd year player who was the 4th or 5th best(?) mid at Geelong and whose value was inflated by an AA spot and a top 5 Brownlow finish.
The fact he got an AA spot and was 5th in the Brownlow is probably a clue he wasn't their 4th or 5th best mid.

You could almost say ‘Des Hedland’
I came on to say this.

He is clearly a better player in a good midfield not good enough to be "the man"

Not his fault just hasnt got it.

I think if we can get 5 or so more years of decent games we'll end up being half happy.

If he ends his career with us in a finals/flag side we'll look more favourably at the trade (particularly if the picks recieved for him are a flop)

The fact he got an AA spot and was 5th in the Brownlow is probably a clue he wasn't their 4th or 5th best mid.
So he was their 2nd best after Paddy then?

take notes GIF

Kelly like almost the whole squad has gone backwards. Maybe it’s us.

imagine if we didn’t go for the trade, and he was still playing well at Geelong, we stuffed up with our drafts picks.

it’d be ‘the flags that got away’

Kelly like almost the whole squad has gone backwards. Maybe it’s us.

imagine if we didn’t go for the trade, and he was still playing well at Geelong, we stuffed up with our drafts picks.

it’d be ‘the flags that got away’
1000000% this.

We would all be going mental if we didnt get Kelly and he was a Geelong Premiership player (who knows if he couldve been the difference in 2020 for them v Rich @ Gabba?)

The whole things a lottery. Its hard to win div 1 but we need to be happy with making small profits every now n then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back