Official Club Stuff Ken Hinkley - 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be worse. It could be 4 years. If we do not at least make a Grand Final in the next 3 years Hinkley will be the most unsuccessful Coach in the Club's 150 year history. I cannot think of a Coach who has has us for 11 years without at least a Grand Final appearance.

Once again we have jumped the gun and reappointed Hinkley before we really had to. The thing that is really annoying is that it should not surprise any of us.

If Hinkley does not get us to a Grand Final in the next three years he must go and Koch must follow him.

What's the actual pass mark here?

Where do we need to finish in 2021 for the extension to not go down as premature? Top 4? A prelim final?

What's the minimum acceptable return over the next three years? One GF appearance?
The pass mark for 2021 is a PF and by 2023 is a flag.

My fear is we make a PF in 2021, finish 5th to 8th in 2022, doesn't get sacked the pressure is on in 2023, we make a GF and lose and the board has effectively no choice but to give him 2 or 3 more years

If Hinkley does not get us to a Grand Final in the next three years he must go and Koch must follow him.
At least a GF appearance in the next three years?? that's a mighty low bar rap I thought you'd go harder.

Premiership this year or sack the campaigner & pay the 6 months.. 9 seasons enough is enough

What's the actual pass mark here?

Where do we need to finish in 2021 for the extension to not go down as premature? Top 4? A prelim final?

What's the minimum acceptable return over the next three years? One GF appearance?
It can't go down as not premature after the fact.

Right now it's premature, and a poor business decision. Sometimes you can get lucky and things work out and Hinkley takes us to top 4 again and we all look back on that 2 year extension as having worked out well, but it still remains a premature initial extension.

As long as we made finals this year Hinkley should've earnt an extension, top 4 and he'd be well and truly worthy of 2 years, but we've made that call very early, ignoring years of trends and results that clearly show we just shouldve held fire before going all in again.

Why? we just butchered a prelim how can it be a pass mark in 2021?
a pass is a pass, not a high distinction. making a PF is a minimum expectation.

At least a GF appearance in the next three years?? that's a mighty low bar rap I thought you'd go harder.

Premiership this year or sack the campaigner & pay the 6 months.. 9 seasons enough is enough

Yes, I could have set the bar higher and probably should have. If it were up to me I would have let Ken's contract ride for this year and gone with the Grand Final this year or goodbye Ken option but our Board were never going to do that.

All this shows is what a hollow vessel David Koch is. He purports to know what makes Port tick and mouths off about high expectations yet he keeps rewarding results that are below average for our Club. I lost faith in this Club when Koch and his Board allowed the Co Captaincy fiasco and my faith has not been restored with what I see as a repeat of a past mistake. I agree with those who are suggesting that Koch has misread the feeling of a fair percentage of supporters.

It could be worse. It could be 4 years. If we do not at least make a Grand Final in the next 3 years Hinkley will be the most unsuccessful Coach in the Club's 150 year history. I cannot think of a Coach who has has us for 11 years without at least a Grand Final appearance.

Once again we have jumped the gun and reappointed Hinkley before we really had to. The thing that is really annoying is that it should not surprise any of us.

This expectation has been re-set each time he's gotten an extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, the club believe Hinkley can win us a flag.

Not even the point. This isn't about how good Hinkley is or isn't as a coach. This is about why the * do you re-sign your unproven coach in January?

There was absolutely no reason for the urgency. Even in the absolute best case scenario where Ken coaches us to a flag this year, we don't lose anything by signing him up in May or June once the season has developed a bit rather than doing it in January. But in the scenario where we struggle this year, signing him up in January becomes an awful decision.

It's a high risk, low reward move. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

My understanding is that the club (or at least an element) wanted to offer him a 1 year extension, but felt their hands were tied due to the size of his 2021 contract. Sounds like there was at least some financial driver for the club and Ken capitalised to get greater security. This would explain the timing...

It makes his last contract an even more scandalous failure. Piss weak.

Not even the point. This isn't about how good Hinkley is or isn't as a coach. This is about why the fu** do you re-sign your unproven coach in January?

There was absolutely no reason for the urgency. Even in the absolute best case scenario where Ken coaches us to a flag this year, we don't lose anything by signing him up in May or June once the season has developed a bit rather than doing it in January. But in the scenario where we struggle this year, signing him up in January becomes an awful decision.

It's a high risk, low reward move. Nothing to gain, everything to lose.

I agree. I'm just saying that the club believe in him rather than it being a case of Ken swindling another extension.

you would hope the last year is an option depending on performing in the first 2 years...we should have a automatic firing option if he under performs in all hinkley contracts....its not like he has other options.

Pass is a GF minimum in 2021, and a definite flag by the end of 2022. No if's, but's or maybe's.

Anything less and the bar has been set too low.

Look, after last year, I have no issue with an extension for the guy, but the 2023 season has to predicated on a level of genuine success leading up to that point. Just squeezing into finals isn't good enough. Our expectations have to be greater than that.

My understanding is that the club (or at least an element) wanted to offer him a 1 year extension, but felt their hands were tied due to the size of his 2021 contract. Sounds like there was at least some financial driver for the club and Ken capitalised to get greater security. This would explain the timing...

It makes his last contract an even more scandalous failure. Piss weak.
Maybe the club renegotiated his contract to trade 2021 $$ for a 2 year extension with the secret plan to sack him mid year if things aren't going well and only pay the 6 months at the lesser rate

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back