Official Club Stuff Ken Hinkley - 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were told to get over it and move on in 2017 as well when the club made exactly the same mistake.

A ruthless club would have sacked him in 2017. Here we are, flagless and he's just been extended until the 2024 preseason.
You do realise there's another thread for all you Hinkley-hating, teeth-gnashers? How about taking the negativity there and stop polluting this one!

You do realise there's another thread for all you Hinkley-hating, teeth-gnashers? How about taking the negativity there and stop polluting this one!

This is a thread specifically about the contract extension. My post is specifically about the contract extension. If you want to hear about the contract extension without any discussion about it, may I suggest www.portadelaidefc.com.au

Compared to what we’d be paying if we start 7-2 it won’t be overs.

Personally I’d rather not be paying him at all but I doubt he’s in the top 6 of highest paid coaches. Clarko, Simpson, Scott, Hardwick, Bevridge, Longmire, Buckley would all be on more.
How so? He will be one of the top paid coaches.
He is at his max now after last year, only if someone tried to poach him (lol) could he possibly command more.
Do you think that would really happen mid season next year? That someone would poach him to make him probably the 3rd highest paid coach in the league?
Is that more likely than us making up the numbers again next year?

That someone would poach him to make him probably the 3rd highest paid coach in the league?
Is that more likely than us making up the numbers again next year?

No way should he be 3rd highest paid. If he is by us or someone who wants to poach him, then something is wrong. This is what the pre Covid cuts tiers would have looked like.

Tier 1 $800k+ - $1.2mil
Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick, Simpson, Longmire, Buckley, Beveridge

Tier 2 $600k-$800k
Hinkley, Cameron, Goodwin, Fagan, Rutten

Tier 3 <$600k
Nicks, Noble, Dew, Rutten, Teague, Longmuir

No way should he be 3rd highest paid. If he is by us or someone who wants to poach him, then something is wrong. This is what the pre Covid cuts tiers would have looked like.

Tier 1 $800k+ - $1.2mil
Clarkson, Scott, Hardwick, Simpson, Longmire, Buckley, Beveridge

Tier 2 $600k-$800k
Hinkley, Cameron, Goodwin, Fagan, Rutten

Tier 3 <$600k
Nicks, Noble, Dew, Rutten, Teague, Longmuir
To poach him he would be.

To poach him he would be.
But if he has an average or poor series no one is going to do that. Reckon it would only happen if he wins a flag.

But if he has an average or poor series no one is going to do that. Reckon it would only happen if he wins a flag.

Exactly the point I was making, I was responding to someone who said he’d be more expensive if we were 7-2 next season.

We see him as mediocre but believe it or not there would be a lot of clubs who would kill for the results we've achieved under Hinkley. Never lower than 10th, finals 50% of the time. Clubs like Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda, Fremantle and the Gold Coast SUNS would love that sort of coach.

We see him as mediocre but believe it or not there would be a lot of clubs who would kill for the results we've achieved under Hinkley. Never lower than 10th, finals 50% of the time. Clubs like Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda, Fremantle and the Gold Coast SUNS would love that sort of coach.
Cool so the AFL equivalents of South Adelaide would kill for Kenny.. I'm pumped

😂😂😂😂
If he’s as underpaid as some of his biggest fans suggest, they’d have snatched him by now.
I wonder how many coaching changes all those clubs have had in the years he’s been at Port.
To clarify, I believe He totally deserves next year, just don’t need to extend him yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine if this is the start of a dynasty. That would be funny/cool.
It would be amazing!
Please make it so football gods!
Give all us doubters a black eye!

With our Dad's Army contingent it's more likely 1 then a drop off and reload.. I'd take it though.

Meh our age breakdown is as good as any club. The only one hard to replace is Boak, and while we don't have anybody at his level, we certainly have plenty of options of guys that could be.

These are our guys 29 or older last year:
Justin Westhoff - Gone
Robbie Gray - Still a game winner but plenty waiting in the wings. Fantasia and Williams haven't played a game yet for Port and will fight for that spot with others.
Travis Boak - The A grade midfielder that will be toughest to replace.
Tom Rockliff - I rate him higher than most on here but even I know that we can already go ok without him - won't be an immediate pick next year you would think.
Brad Ebert - Gone
Hamish Hartlett - Has found great form of late but plenty waiting in the wings. DBJ probably the closest match and was AA last year. Aliir, Clurey, McKenzie and Burton already fighting for spots.
Charlie Dixon - 29 and given his height and size will quite probably be able to play another 3-4 years at least. Doesn't rely on a burst of pace.
Tom Jonas - Similar to Charlie, KPPs, especially those sturdy like TJ can last a while.
Steven Motlop - Game winner at his best but similar to Rocky won't be an immediate selection.
Jack Watts - Gone.

Meh our age breakdown is as good as any club. The only one hard to replace is Boak, and while we don't have anybody at his level, we certainly have plenty of options of guys that could be.

These are our guys 29 or older last year:
Justin Westhoff - Gone
Robbie Gray - Still a game winner but plenty waiting in the wings. Fantasia and Williams haven't played a game yet for Port and will fight for that spot with others.
Travis Boak - The A grade midfielder that will be toughest to replace.
Tom Rockliff - I rate him higher than most on here but even I know that we can already go ok without him - won't be an immediate pick next year you would think.
Brad Ebert - Gone
Hamish Hartlett - Has found great form of late but plenty waiting in the wings. DBJ probably the closest match and was AA last year. Aliir, Clurey, McKenzie and Burton already fighting for spots.
Charlie Dixon - 29 and given his height and size will quite probably be able to play another 3-4 years at least. Doesn't rely on a burst of pace.
Tom Jonas - Similar to Charlie, KPPs, especially those sturdy like TJ can last a while.
Steven Motlop - Game winner at his best but similar to Rocky won't be an immediate selection.
Jack Watts - Gone.
You reckon Richmond's dynasty happens if Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt are Boak, Gray & Dixon's age back in 2017? I'm all for you being positive the stars are not aligned for it however it's hit this year or watch retirements flow as the next lot gain enough experience.

Agree with Eskimo here.
Gray wasn't that great last year. This will be his last year. Hopefully a great swan song in 21.
Rockliff and Motlop are depth now and not best 22.
Bartlett has always been an "almost" player who is very replaceable.
Boak still has 3 years left in him. Jonas and Dixon, barring hard core injuries also have 2 - 3 years.

Anything less than s flag this year and 3 more over the decade is a complete failure.

we exist to be relevant with other clubs and make feel good achievements that make us feel proud to be that relevant club, aka The Crows, with whom we compete tirelessly for that niche in the market. This is what Vanilla looks like and to live in denial of being Vanilla.

Top of the ladder all year and one kick away from a grand final. A harmonious club who keeps its talent. A motivated coaching team with at least two future head coaches waiting in the wings. You’re a knucklehead if you don’t feel that deserves a 2 year extension.
or you could say we lost 2 Premierships because of Ken which is closer to the pin

Top of the ladder all year and one kick away from a grand final. A harmonious club who keeps its talent. A motivated coaching team with at least two future head coaches waiting in the wings. You’re a knucklehead if you don’t feel that deserves a 2 year extension.
All year would include finals right?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So genuine question here to just follow this logic through, if we fail to make finals the next two years, but then in 2023 we get to be top of the ladder for a while and fail in finals again, would he get another extension?

At what point would you not be a knucklehead to question things, after 15 years without making a grand final? 20?

Top of the ladder is irrelevant for our club when giving extensions because they've given them when we've been nowhere near the ladder.
Yep, we do keep the bulk of our players, but you'd have to be a knucklehead to think that it all comes down to one person only. It is the entire club that has nurtured that environment which keeps players satisfied but Hinkley is reported to be "liked", but usually that tune changes on any coach when they get terminated.
A motivated coaching team? Aren't they all? Each of our own coaching teams that have circled Hinkley over the years I'm sure have been motivated.
Having umpteen future head coaches waiting in the wings is irrelevant to keeping the head coach. Odd statement that one. If anything, if they're showing signs of being a coach that will get a flag then it makes more sense to promote them asap.

Can any of the supporters that side with this extension provide better facts? They make themselves sound like if Hinkley was making finals in his 20th season as coach, coming off mediocre seasons in the pervious two years, but still without a flag or GF appearance, they'd be ok with another extension.

The game is not about falling in love with the coach just because he is coach of PAFC. It is about results, it is either premiership or at some point their position is terminated. Many argue that we've passed that point where our coach should have been terminated from his position. We really are at the point where he must deliver a flag in '21, being his 9th year as coach, and several players entering 30yo or older.

It surprises me that Port Adelaide will not compare itself to its own success. All the conformists belt out that "this isn't the sanfl anymore" but we don't even compare with Choco in post-SANFL. Choco won a flag in his 6th year as coach and should've won it earlier too, but no, let's compare to Hardwick's 8th year or Buckley's 7th year to make a GF or Thompson's 8th year ... or B Scott's 10th year anyone (?) ... oh no, we ignore that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back