Official Club Stuff Ken Hinkley - 2 year contract extension

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an idea ... Why dont we start a FIFTH Ken Hinkley thread, where all the pathetic Hinkley bashers can then gravitate to, and continue their incessant hate-filled diatribe?

You can never get enough of it really.

Disclaimer: I will be as happy as the next person when Hinkley moves, or is moved, on, and Jarred Schofield becomes the next coach of Port Adelaide. He is not ready yet, so I am happy for Hinley to keep his seat warm for the next few years. Oh, and I have so many better & more positive things to do with my time than than sit at a PC/device & write up hundreds of posts that pretty much repeat the same hate-filled argument that some of these clowns submit, over, and over again.

OK, come at me you clowns!

I have an idea ... Why dont we start a FIFTH Ken Hinkley thread, where all the pathetic Hinkley bashers can then gravitate to, and continue their incessant hate-filled diatribe?

You can never get enough of it really.

Disclaimer: I will be as happy as the next person when Hinkley moves, or is moved, on, and Jarred Schofield becomes the next coach of Port Adelaide. He is not ready yet, so I am happy for Hinley to keep his seat warm for the next few years. Oh, and I have so many better & more positive things to do with my time than than sit at a PC/device & write up hundreds of posts that pretty much repeat the same hate-filled argument that some of these clowns submit, over, and over again.

OK, come at me you clowns!

I'm happy to swap my Ken Hinkley for your Todd Marshall in the buddy thing.

Agree with Eskimo here.
Gray wasn't that great last year. This will be his last year. Hopefully a great swan song in 21.
Rockliff and Motlop are depth now and not best 22.
Bartlett has always been an "almost" player who is very replaceable.
Boak still has 3 years left in him. Jonas and Dixon, barring hard core injuries also have 2 - 3 years.

Anything less than s flag this year and 3 more over the decade is a complete failure.

Agree with everything you said except for Boak. As good as he's been, I think that his age means he's a year by year proposition. Desire might also get the best of him.

Agree with everything you said except for Boak. As good as he's been, I think that his age means he's a year by year proposition. Desire might also get the best of him.

Whilst I agree with your logic, there are few players who take care of their bodies as well as he does. And given that we are going to see guys like Butters and Rozee spend more time in the guts over the coming years, i dont think we will see a huge drop off in Boaks output.over the next 2 years.

I think it is pertinent to remember he had arguably his best ever season last year in spite of his age. Even if he doesn't replicate that, he's still going to give us a very good year imo.

Hinkley doesn't have a bad record. It is simply not good.

He seems to live out of his first two seasons. And, even considering those years, this season looks like a fluke.

1. 7th, SF
5th, PF
9th
4. 10th
5. 5th, EF
10th
7. 10th
8. 1st, PF

Minor Premierships:
1 (12.5%)
Top-4 finishes: 1 (12.5%)
Finals: 4 (50%)
Premierships: 0 (0%)
GF: 0 (0%)
PF: 2 (25%)
SF: 1 (12.5%)
EF: 1 (12.5%)

Last edited:
Agree with Eskimo here.
Gray wasn't that great last year. This will be his last year. Hopefully a great swan song in 21.
Rockliff and Motlop are depth now and not best 22.
Bartlett has always been an "almost" player who is very replaceable.
Boak still has 3 years left in him. Jonas and Dixon, barring hard core injuries also have 2 - 3 years.

Anything less than s flag this year and 3 more over the decade is a complete failure.

Gray was training and playing with a broken toe for the first several rounds last year. Towards the end of the season he was valuable. His possessions were up and his score involvements were elite even if his goal tally was down. He is no longer prime Gray and maybe 21 is his last year but your assessment of his performance is harsh given his circumstances.

I hope you are right about Boak, I really do. And Jonas, and Dixon. But the end can come quickly for mature age players, particularly with injuries. Wanganeen was Brownlow runner-up in 2003 and hardly played a game in 2005 before retiring as just one example.

Gray was training and playing with a broken toe for the first several rounds last year. Towards the end of the season he was valuable. His possessions were up and his score involvements were elite even if his goal tally was down. He is no longer prime Gray and maybe 21 is his last year but your assessment of his performance is harsh given his circumstances.

I hope you are right about Boak, I really do. And Jonas, and Dixon. But the end can come quickly for mature age players, particularly with injuries. Wanganeen was Brownlow runner-up in 2003 and hardly played a game in 2005 before retiring as just one example.
That was 2006 with Wanganeen but it's a fair point & not just injury, form can slump quick & permanently with over 30's.

*I think we can challenge but there's not the right mix for a dynasty imo factoring in old mate in the box as well.

That was 2006 with Wanganeen but it's a fair point & not just injury, form can slump quick & permanently with over 30's.

*I think we can challenge but there's not the right mix for a dynasty imo factoring in old mate in the box as well.
Crap one of the few posts I don't fact check because I was so sure it was 2005. Anyway happy to be corrected.

You are right mature age players can either get an injury, run of injuries, or seemingly overnight lose whatever they have that makes them an AFL grade player. Some keep on keeping on for a decent period of time like SBurgoyne, Dustin Fletcher etc. We haven't had a lot of those players for the Power and it would be great to have a couple of those. The law of averages says though that we are going to have some big holes to fill in the next couple of years and some real concerns about who is going to fill them.

Due to the age spread of our list it is unlikely there is going to be a nice, gradual passing of torches from a retiring player to a player ready to take up the mantle. Over 200 games of experience is going to go and we are going to be asking young, under experienced players to step up and fill them. We might be lucky and jag a few free agents and the like to get a more even spread of age and experience.

Hinkley doesn't have a bad record. It is simply not good.

He seems to live out of his first two seasons. And, even considering those years, this season looks like a fluke.

1. 7th, SF Richardson
5th, PF Walsh
9th
4. 10th
5. 5th, EF ?
10th
7. 10th
8. 1st, PF Schofield, Montgomery?

Minor Premierships:
1 (12.5%)
Top-4 finishes: 1 (12.5%)
Finals: 4 (50%)
Premierships: 0 (0%)
GF: 0 (0%)
PF: 2 (25%)
SF: 1 (12.5%)
EF: 1 (12.5%)

One theory I have as to why he has done well in those seasons is that he had highly respected and credentialed assistants to whistle in his ear and balance out his coaching shortcomings. WTF happened in 2017 I don't know because I don't rate Voss given the lack of success we have had in other seasons.

Granted assistants aren't the end all and be all, but they can make a hell of a difference especially if you are a head coach with specific deficiencies. Anyway it is just a theory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One theory I have as to why he has done well in those seasons is that he had highly respected and credentialed assistants to whistle in his ear and balance out his coaching shortcomings. WTF happened in 2017 I don't know because I don't rate Voss given the lack of success we have had in other seasons.

Granted assistants aren't the end all and be all, but they can make a hell of a difference especially if you are a head coach with specific deficiencies. Anyway it is just a theory.

Nothing really happened in 2017 we just had a batshit easy schedule and beat up on all the bottom sides. As you see in similar situations around various sporting codes, this gave us confidence when playing the big boys of the comp and we were close in plenty of those games, but couldn't win them. Up until this year that had been a systemic problem under Hinkley and I was very impressed they improved in that aspect this year.

Horribly disappointed with how premature the decision is after the number of times we've gambled before the money under our current board. I am fully supportive of Ken Hinkley and this current playing list so my expectations for 2021 remain unchanged, but giving us the probability for a heavier fall like this is a vision I dread living (Or re-living) I'm just tired of waiting for the next premiership to finally put an end to this stupid negativity, but it's going to keep coming if the board continues to jump the gun so needlessly.

I'm holding the best hopes for 2021, my support will be with the club as always, praying that this time there won't be any regrets.

Horribly disappointed with how premature the decision is after the number of times we've gambled before the money under our current board. I am fully supportive of Ken Hinkley and this current playing list so my expectations for 2021 remain unchanged, but giving us the probability for a heavier fall like this is a vision I dread living (Or re-living) I'm just tired of waiting for the next premiership to finally put an end to this stupid negativity, but it's going to keep coming if the board continues to jump the gun so needlessly.

I'm holding the best hopes for 2021, my support will be with the club as always, praying that this time there won't be any regrets.
I'm not worried about the contract length. If he gets sacked, we only pay him out for 6 months. It's the same scenario if he got sacked mid year on a 1 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back