Toast Ken Hinkley - AFL Life Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess this is what the mouse sneaking through the rattlesnake pit feels like.

Anyway here goes, congratulations to Ken Hinkley for achieving AFL life membership.

I know the temptation is great for some of you, but stick to the maxim, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing.

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...en-hinkley-as-he-achieves-afl-life-membership

The article includes recollections from from Malcolm Blight about Ken Hinkley.
Haha the club is a bit slow it seems. Page 1181 of AFL Record Season Guide 2020 book says Ken achieved life membership in 2019. Ken would have played and coached pre-season / night series games which are counted.

300 games includes - Individuals who have participated as a player, coach and/or umpire in 300 senior games in league-sanctioned games – including home-and-away, pre-season, state representative and international rules games – are awarded life membership of the AFL.

Congrats on the big 300 Kenny. About time to take up a career in firefighting I reckon.

Can't wait for him to become a 'sassy' media personality six months after that.

I’m surprised that Ken’s winning percentage is higher than Williams’ to date. I guess post-2007 hurt Mark’s stats but I thought his big numbers in the preceding years would’ve been enough to keep him ahead.
Choco had 5 years of winning 15+ games and 5 less than 10 in 2000,2006,2008,2009,2010 and 1999 and 2005 was barely 50% win seasons.

Ken has been between 10 and 14 every year with 2014, 14+2 finals wins.

Imagine if we didn't go with Primus in 2011 and he goes down in history as our most winning coach.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Choco had 5 years of winning 15+ games and 5 less than 10 in 2000,2006,2008,2009,2010 and 1999 and 2005 was barely 50% win seasons.

Ken has been between 10 and 14 every year with 2014, 14+2 finals wins.

Yeah I’m sure it’s right, I was just surprised. Nevertheless you’d take 5 years in the Top 4 over 10 years stuck in the middle every day of the week.

Numbers be funny.

Yeah I’m sure it’s right, I was just surprised. Nevertheless you’d take 5 years in the Top 4 over 10 years stuck in the middle every day of the week.

Numbers be funny.
There is only half a percent difference between the two so not that surprising.

I guess it's a case of Ken''s teams having yo-yo years up down within a year vs Choco''s yo-yo between seasons up one season down the next. Both have averaged out about the same over a decade or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...g/news-story/d4e547db416bfb17ff576b6bea83bafd

Port Adelaide vice captain Ollie Wines says his team loves coach Ken Hinkley like a teammate which was why he was thrust into the middle of the huddle for their team song on Sunday.
Hinkley received AFL life membership after 300 games as a player and now coach on the weekend, and celebrated in style with the Power’s 17-point win over GWS to maintain top spot on the ladder.

But in scenes rarely seen at AFL level, Hinkley was in the middle of the Power’s circle as they sang the song, and was pumping his arms and covered in water and sports drink as they toasted a successful day trip to the Gold Coast.

Such an achievement must be properly acknowledged. He has been a few seasons too many with us, it's true; but it is also true that, as our head coach, he played an important role in the process of lifting the club up again. This cannot be taken away from him.

So, congratulations to Hinkley!

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one ever gets AFL life membership by sheer fluke. I have been very critical of Ken particularly from 2015-2019, but I have to commend the way he has the team playing right now.

If we are going to blame Ken for everything over our poor last 5 year period, he should also receive praise for the positives. He has us playing a game style that is reminiscent of the way he took the game on in Geelong.

Glad that the team got the win on what was an important day yesterday.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but no one ever gets AFL life membership by sheer fluke. I have been very critical of Ken particularly from 2015-2019, but I have to commend the way he has the team playing right now.

If we are going to blame Ken for everything over our poor last 5 year period, he should also receive praise for the positives. He has us playing a game style that is reminiscent of the way he took the game on in Geelong.

Glad that the team got the win on what was an important day yesterday.

Yesterday was a good win, we almost certainly would’ve given up the ghost in previous years, but it’ll take a few more just like it before people’s confidence is restored. Remember this is Season 8 of Hinkley’s reign and he’s yet to secure a Top 4 finish heading into the finals. We’re beyond being satisfied with good wins here and there at this point. He needs to be able to consolidate and get us in a position to challenge and that means Top 4. History has proven it’s the only way (ignore 2016 we would never ever in a million lifetimes get a ride like that).

Hinkley is contracted for next year. If he makes the finals, he's coaching next year. What's to announce?

Hinkley now seems to be making the moves that most of the learned football people on this forum have been calling for years. Either he's smartened up or is listening to others.

He has been aided by some recent masterful recruiting.

If he stays this course we have a very good shot at finally reaching our potential. But given Hinkley's record, I don't hold my breath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back