Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

And you know what the funny thing is.... I look at what Ken Hinkley has achieved at Port from 2013-21, Its actually not bad. Yeah I have always talked about Ross Lyons stint at Freo. I will always say I will savour every dockers final under Ross Lyon from 2012-15.

Port fans got early success from 2001-7. They were spoilt rotten and I do think sometimes they dont appreciate what they achieved in that period.

Sure the Power didnt make a final under Hinkley from 2013-21. But 5 finals wins in 9 years is very good.

I would love Justin Longmuir to Win 4 or 5 finals over a 10-12 year period to be fair. You would savour those finals wins now with 18, then soon possibly to be 19 or 20 sides in.
People get much angrier about contending and missing out with some close calls to great sides, than being irrelevant and going through rebuilding phases. The only final that was a disgrace was the blunder against the Bulldogs in '21. Geelong had one like that the same year. They were the closest team to taking that Richmond side down during their flag-winning years. Likewise for the Hawthorn dynasty side in 2014. Accounted for good albeit not outstanding Geelong teams a couple of times. Have deserved at least a GF appearance in that time but it doesn't always pan out that way. You look at the list that has been completely rebuilt since he started and it looks good to me.

Port fans hatred of Hinkley is totally bizarre. I think some of it (and I have read the Port board to try and understand) has to do with some fans expecting Port to replicate SANFL flags in the AFL, and by that measure Ken is a failure, which is beyond stupid. They were by far the biggest club in the SANFL competition which had no salary cap and far less teams to compete against.

Like the VFL being the AFL now, and 18 sides compared to 12 sides and a salary cap, be like me expecting Carlton to win a flag every every few years because we won 8 between 1967 and 1995.

As a blues supporter.... I assume you dislike essendon.

Random stat to say this.

Freos 1st ever final was a home elim final loss to essendon in 2003. Essendon won one more final after that: an elim final in 2004 vs demons.

ever since 2005, now dockers are not the beacon of consistent success, But 4 different dockers coaches have had at least 1 finals win since essendons last finals win in 2004.

And you know what the funny thing is.... I look at what Ken Hinkley has achieved at Port from 2013-21, Its actually not bad. Yeah I have always talked about Ross Lyons stint at Freo. I will always say I will savour every dockers final under Ross Lyon from 2012-15.

Port fans got early success from 2001-7. They were spoilt rotten and I do think sometimes they dont appreciate what they achieved in that period.

Sure the Power didnt make a final under Hinkley from 2013-21. But 5 finals wins in 9 years is very good.

I would love Justin Longmuir to Win 4 or 5 finals over a 10-12 year period to be fair. You would savour those finals wins now with 18, then soon possibly to be 19 or 20 sides in.

Completely agree. It's funny that this is the time that fans want Hinkley gone yet since 2020 he's had them finishing consistently better and contending except for last season. And they're currently playing really well and looking great.

People get much angrier about contending and missing out with some close calls to great sides, than being irrelevant and going through rebuilding phases. The only final that was a disgrace was the blunder against the Bulldogs in '21. Geelong had one like that the same year. They were the closest team to taking that Richmond side down during their flag-winning years. Likewise for the Hawthorn dynasty side in 2014. Accounted for good albeit not outstanding Geelong teams a couple of times. Have deserved at least a GF appearance in that time but it doesn't always pan out that way. You look at the list that has been completely rebuilt since he started and it looks good to me.
I would much rather Port's last decade than ours.

The extent of the vitriol directed at Hinkley by some supporters is over the top. I would certainly never barrack for the team to lose. And the turnaround in tactics, form and resilience since Tredrea applied the blowtorch after the Showdown loss has been pretty remarkable.

However, a balanced assessment across his 11 seasons suggests that he has a major conversion problem. We have played finals five times, made three preliminary finals but never a grand final.

Missing finals two years in a row after almost knocking Hawthorn off in 2014 was appalling given the quality of that list and largely attributable to a poor and badly executed game plan.

2020 and 2021 were surprisingly good but losing by 12 goals in a home prelim to the Bulldogs was unacceptable and suggestive of a team not in the right head space.

Different people will have different benchmarks for success. But you don’t have to believe that Port should be replicating it’s success in the SANFL to think that a coach that has failed to make a grand final after coaching the team to the third best winning percentage during his tenure, should be moved on.

Indeed, I’m not sure I can think of a single coach in the top echelon of a major sporting code here or overseas that has held his job for so long without achieving the ultimate j success.

Perhaps this year will be different and I will be barracking loudly for that to happen. But having been let down so many times before, you can forgive us for some pessimism.

The extent of the vitriol directed at Hinkley by some supporters is over the top. I would certainly never barrack for the team to lose. And the turnaround in tactics, form and resilience since Tredrea applied the blowtorch after the Showdown loss has been pretty remarkable.

However, a balanced assessment across his 11 seasons suggests that he has a major conversion problem. We have played finals five times, made three preliminary finals but never a grand final.

Missing finals two years in a row after almost knocking Hawthorn off in 2014 was appalling given the quality of that list and largely attributable to a poor and badly executed game plan.

2020 and 2021 were surprisingly good but losing by 12 goals in a home prelim to the Bulldogs was unacceptable and suggestive of a team not in the right head space.

Different people will have different benchmarks for success. But you don’t have to believe that Port should be replicating it’s success in the SANFL to think that a coach that has failed to make a grand final after coaching the team to the third best winning percentage during his tenure, should be moved on.

Indeed, I’m not sure I can think of a single coach in the top echelon of a major sporting code here or overseas that has held his job for so long without achieving the ultimate j success.

Perhaps this year will be different and I will be barracking loudly for that to happen. But having been let down so many times before, you can forgive us for some pessimism.

As a Cats fan I have seen us lose a lot of preliminary finals. The question is whether in those years finishing third or fourth was reflective of their performance - sometimes you can get lucky in a prelim and everything goes your way and you get past a team that should have been in the GF (for example Pies in 2018 over Tigers). But I look at the Port team - defence in particular - and I find it hard to see how you could argue they were premiership quality.

Ken Hinkley as coach is to AFL coaches what John Howard as PM was to Australian PMs.

He's getting there but I don't think Hinkley is the GOAT yet.

Certainly he is one of the top 3 coaches of the last decade.

Every team Port played in finals, including Fremantle has made a Grand Final appearance during Hinkley's coaching tenure except Port. That is quite bad from a club whose identity is "premierships", and Port were mostly flat track bullies, and didn't win a finals match in 6 seasons, appearing in only 1 final in 5 seasons.

This year, is probably the first time in almost a decade they've been able to beat a number of contenders, a slight change of pace, but it's not even close to finals.

Carlton were in a similar position to Port, this time last year, and missed finals, altogether.

Hinkley has probably been the best coach to have never got his side to a Grand Final.
We probably stopped their best chance in 2020 no wonder Kane Cornes hates us lmao
I think Fagan more so, because he's consistently made finals for 4 seasons in a row, 2 prelims. Hinkley has never made finals for more than 2 seasons in a row, which takes you out of contention. The contenders usually consistently make finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick. Where is the thread for that? This one isn't really noteworthy because Ross Lyon has won as many premierships as Ken Hinkley.

Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick. Where is the thread for that? This one isn't really noteworthy because Ross Lyon has won as many premierships as Ken Hinkley.
There is a Hardwick one. Ross is still actively coaching, I guess.

I don't understand why Ross Lyon is so highly rated by media pundits and AFL clubs alike.

I mean, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all approached Lyon these last couple of years, only for Lyon to decline their advances because he didn't want to go through a process.

Ross Lyon has clearly been head-hunted by St Kilda as they've decided to appoint him as coach rather quickly after sacking Brett Ratten, but what has Ross Lyon done to warrant being so highly regarded in the AFL industry than Ken Hinkley hasn't?
Why isn't Ken Hinkley's ability as a coach rated in the AFL industry, despite him having a superior winning percentage to Ross Lyon, yet his coaching seems to be highly rated internally at Port Adelaide and by Port supporters?
Ross Lyon = 4 Grand Finals
Ken Hinkley = 0 Grand Finals.

no more needs to be said.

There is a Hardwick one. Ross is still actively coaching, I guess.
Ken Hinkley having a better win percentage than Mark Williams is interesting too. Port were very dominant under Williams while under Hinkley they've mostly been middle of the road.

Ken Hinkley having a better win percentage than Mark Williams is interesting too. Port were very dominant under Williams while under Hinkley they've mostly been middle of the road.
Williams also had to deal with a dynasty side, he got there on the 4th bite of the cherry as far as being genuine contenders.

Hinkley had to deal with two such sides, got within a goal of both in a prelim but then round 3 was the baffling mess up Vs Dogs.

Round 4 is this year...take down Collingwood and Hinkley better be wearing his best tie.

Williams also had to deal with a dynasty side, he got there on the 4th bite of the cherry as far as being genuine contenders.

Hinkley had to deal with two such sides, got within a goal of both in a prelim but then round 3 was the baffling mess up Vs Dogs.

Round 4 is this year...take down Collingwood and Hinkley better be wearing his best tie.
I haven't seen Hinkley wearing a suit since that time I saw him at the Brownlow with Koch a few years back.

To be honest I miss the days where coaches wore suits on game day. I haven't seen a premiership coach wearing a suit since Choco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back