Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadly Assassin

Senior List
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't understand why Ross Lyon is so highly rated by media pundits and AFL clubs alike.

I mean, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all approached Lyon these last couple of years, only for Lyon to decline their advances because he didn't want to go through a process.

Ross Lyon has clearly been head-hunted by St Kilda as they've decided to appoint him as coach rather quickly after sacking Brett Ratten, but what has Ross Lyon done to warrant being so highly regarded in the AFL industry than Ken Hinkley hasn't?
Why isn't Ken Hinkley's ability as a coach rated in the AFL industry, despite him having a superior winning percentage to Ross Lyon, yet his coaching seems to be highly rated internally at Port Adelaide and by Port supporters?

Why isn't Ken Hinkley's ability as a coach rated in the AFL industry, despite him having a superior winning percentage to Ross Lyon, yet his coaching seems to be highly rated internally at Port Adelaide and by Port supporters?

You haven’t been on the Port board much in the last few years have you?

"win percentage"? .... so what?

Great, that's awesome, you win a lot of minor-round games. But can you win finals? How does your team structure and gameplan stand up when the heat is REALLY on?

And in a prelim or GF, even moreso, how does your structure and gameplan stand up?

Port has had this pinned on the wall of its changerooms for decades "We exist to win premierships". Not "we exist to win minor-round games".

Ken Hinkley is bad at every aspect of coaching, except maybe relationship building. But all that's gotten us is a group of players for whom winning isn't a priority, they aren't mentally consistent, and several of them co-own greyhounds with Hinkley.

He sucks and we all hate him.

I don't understand why Ross Lyon is so highly rated by media pundits and AFL clubs alike.

I mean, Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon have all approached Lyon these last couple of years, only for Lyon to decline their advances because he didn't want to go through a process.

Ross Lyon has clearly been head-hunted by St Kilda as they've decided to appoint him as coach rather quickly after sacking Brett Ratten, but what has Ross Lyon done to warrant being so highly regarded in the AFL industry than Ken Hinkley hasn't?
He took 2 lowly teams, who struggled for success, to grand finals. And realistically, he's just bad bounces of the ball and bad kicking at goal away from being a multiple premiership coach. there's a lot more to it than just win ratio. seriously, someone like adam simpson goes down in history as a premiership coach which is fantastic, but if Dom Sheed misses that incredible kick, then he's just a "good coach". Lyon was so close, on 3 occassions and i would argue strongly just as good if not better, than Simpson, Worsfold and Roos but without the silver wear. sometimes things are pure luck, but for Lyon to take 2 basket cases to the top on multiple occasions says a lot. Hinkley, who i rate, is a great coach, but cant seem to extract the ruthlessness that is needed.

There are premiership coaches and the rest. Ken and Ross are both good and successful coaches amongst the best of the rest. Ross has made 3 Grand finals without taking the chocolates, Ken has taken his team to 2 home prelims and within a kick of a Grand final in one of them. Both made multiple final series.

Not sure how you compare them whilst they are still coaching ... and not sure why we are comparing them really ... they are not in direct competition with each other.

You're quite brilliant Shane.

There are premiership coaches and the rest. Ken and Ross are both good and successful coaches amongst the best of the rest. Ross has made 3 Grand finals without taking the chocolates, Ken has taken his team to 2 home prelims and within a kick of a Grand final in one of them. Both made multiple final series.

Not sure how you compare them whilst they are still coaching ... and not sure why we are comparing them really ... they are not in direct competition with each other.

I absolutely agree with your first sentence, but I think it's completely unfair to Lyon to lump him in with Hinkley. His record is several levels above Hinkley.

Hinkley is not a good and successful coach. He's bang average. He's never built teams that can consistently compete with the better teams in the league, even when we finished top.

Ross was one of the first to make coaching a faux intellectual exercise. Always sounded like he swallowed a management textbook. He’s engaging with the media and those chumps love that s**t.

Poort have had some absolutely elite assistants or have gone on to get the top job
Voss
Walsh
Richardson
Carr
Brett Montgomery

Over the last few years it's becoming clear that you need more then just a good head coach. You need very good assistants to get the best out of players and Port have definitely done this.

I don't know if Ross is up to the landscape clearly changed between him starting at freo and now

On paper his record speaks for itself but were talking over 10 years ago
bounce of a ball and he's a premiership coach
Port loses two Prelims by under a goal and Hinkley would be in the same category as Lyon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D05FE487-13B7-4FD5-8A12-A9249D0F679E.png
Might be some interesting reading for you this shows how good Ross actually was during his last stint here

A Lyon sounds more imposing than a Hinkley. But I don't get all the love for Lyon from many in the media either.

Last edited:
Who has the best personality should be the real question and I realise we are starting from a very low base.

Ross has made the gf 3 times. Makes him more successful than ken. (I don't understand the Lyon love fest either)

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
But none of his GF teams have kicked more than 10 goals. Is it any wonder they did not win?

It's 'cause he's a dweeb.

Unless you're a tech billionaire, the world just doesn't take dweebs seriously.

Grand Finals is the appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back