Ken Hinkley has a better win percentage than Ross Lyon

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well actually David Koch is the President of the Port Adelaide Football Club…… an absolute godsend for Port.….. He has overseen Port Adelaide (along with long time CEO Keith Thomas) to rise from a position of absolute destitution to being a healthy competitive National Sporting Club. As for your derogatory rhetoric……. real Port Adelaide Supporters don’t give a 💩.
You guys are about 4 stations behind us on the Eddie express

Bennie the Nurse

Senior List
Dec 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good points.

Well apart from the fact that KT isn't CEO any more (he was replaced by the home brand version), Port is in more debt than ever and you wouldn't know a 'REAL' Port supporter if they kicked you up the arse.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I’m well aware that KT is no longer the CEO , I was referring to the effort by those to turn the Club around from the brink of oblivion …. as for being a “Real” supporter……. Well I’ve been a member and supporter since probably before you were born……… my Grandfather was a member and supporter so far back ….. he even remembered before the Club wore black and white(1902) ….. I have dipped into my own pocket for what’d be tens of thousands of dollars for the Club, travelled all over Australia and overseas to support the Club…… I don’t know why I bother even replying to “keyboard warriors who declare themselves true supporters” perhaps they may one day see the light 💡 ….. instead of their destructive hate filled diatribe.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
He took 2 lowly teams, who struggled for success, to grand finals. And realistically, he's just bad bounces of the ball and bad kicking at goal away from being a multiple premiership coach. there's a lot more to it than just win ratio. seriously, someone like adam simpson goes down in history as a premiership coach which is fantastic, but if Dom Sheed misses that incredible kick, then he's just a "good coach". Lyon was so close, on 3 occassions and i would argue strongly just as good if not better, than Simpson, Worsfold and Roos but without the silver wear. sometimes things are pure luck, but for Lyon to take 2 basket cases to the top on multiple occasions says a lot. Hinkley, who i rate, is a great coach, but cant seem to extract the ruthlessness that is needed.
That St Kilda side was ridiculously talented and should’ve won a premiership. Grant Thomas got them to a prelim and (almost GF)… calling them a basketcase when he took over is a comically inaccurate take.

freo1

Club Legend
Jul 19, 2006
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
That St Kilda side was ridiculously talented and should’ve won a premiership. Grant Thomas got them to a prelim and (almost GF)… calling them a basketcase when he took over is a comically inaccurate take.
Grant Thomas underachieved massively with what he had. Even friends of Grant know him as not the brightest bloke around and were stunned when he got the job. Grand finals are bloody tough to win. He was a few things out of his control away from being a multiple premiership coach.

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Grant Thomas underachieved massively with what he had. Even friends of Grant know him as not the brightest bloke around and were stunned when he got the job. Grand finals are bloody tough to win. He was a few things out of his control away from being a multiple premiership coach.
If theres extra time in 2010 Saints win. All the momentum. And if they picked the splinters out of the Sherrin after Hawks goal in 2009 who knows what would of happened.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Either that or it shows how much RTB cactus the list.

Mate if he had won those grand finals which he was a couple of bad bounces of the ball away from doing no one would be complaining or saying a word about how he left the list. Look at Brisbane and hawthorn after there flag tilts no one cares because they won though

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mate if he had won those grand finals which he was a couple of bad bounces of the ball away from doing no one would be complaining or saying a word about how he left the list. Look at Brisbane and hawthorn after there flag tilts no one cares because they won though
Blight won 2 flags with the Crows and left 12 months later when they missed the 8. Hes still treated like a God in Adelaide. Flags heal any wounds

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
You haven’t been on the Port board much in the last few years have you?

Ross has made the gf 3 times. Makes him more successful than ken. (I don't understand the Lyon love fest either)

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Ken Hinkley is bad at every aspect of coaching, except maybe relationship building. But all that's gotten us is a group of players for whom winning isn't a priority, they aren't mentally consistent, and several of them co-own greyhounds with Hinkley.

He sucks and we all hate him.

I absolutely agree with your first sentence, but I think it's completely unfair to Lyon to lump him in with Hinkley. His record is several levels above Hinkley.

Hinkley is not a good and successful coach. He's bang average. He's never built teams that can consistently compete with the better teams in the league, even when we finished top.

Poort have had some absolutely elite assistants or have gone on to get the top job
Voss
Walsh
Richardson
Carr
Brett Montgomery

Over the last few years it's becoming clear that you need more then just a good head coach. You need very good assistants to get the best out of players and Port have definitely done this.

I don't know if Ross is up to the landscape clearly changed between him starting at freo and now

On paper his record speaks for itself but were talking over 10 years ago
bounce of a ball and he's a premiership coach
Port loses two Prelims by under a goal and Hinkley would be in the same category as Lyon

A Lyon sounds more imposing than a Hinkley. But I don't get all the love for Lyon from many in the media either.

Ken Hinkley should coach St Kilda.
Bwahaha you lot in South Australia have taken your success for granted... Only in the last 15 or so years you complain about non Victorian clubs getting belted by Victorian clubs in the grand final.

Again... You south Aussies are spoilt and here's why.

Look at the 1995-2010 time period. When it was 16 sides and 8 finals spots.

Crows, Brisbane, Sydney and west coast.... All of them made finals at least 8 times in that 1995-2010 period. Made at least 2 grand finals and got at least one flag.

Port a similar thing. But it was finals 7 times out of 14 and 1 flag in 2004 from 2 grand finals .

Try being a Freo supporter from 1995-2010. Elim final loss at home to Essendon In 2003, prelim final in 2006 ànd semi final loss in 2010. 3 times out of 16 years of finals for only 2 finals wins

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not really

06-07 had some big injuries with Hayes, Goddard and Kosi missing huge chunks. And it was a period where gun veterans like Hamill, Gehrig were finishing.

Lyon took over at the perfect time when the 99-03 drafts were ready to peak and they were ready to take over the leadership of the club from your Harvey, Hamill, Hudgton etc.

Lyon left the Saints list in a mess, and did the same at Freo too.

Bit misleading to use a crap win rate post his departure when his coaching preference and team selection before he left was a key factor, as he barely developed any good kids from 08-12.
Ah this old chest nut.

This is coming from my view as a Freo supporter.

Yeah not a lot Of youth was played in freos finals period of 2012-5.

But you need to see freos 1st round picks from 2007-13.

2007: Rhys Palmer. Average

2008: Stephen Hill. Talented but injury prone. Made it to 200 games.

2009: Anthony Morabito. Awesome debut season then played no AFL for 3 years due to 3 knee re constructions in a row.

2010: Jayden Pitt retired after 3 years and 20 games due to a hear condition. Gutted as we could of and should of chosen jack Darling.

2011: Hayden Crozier. Average

2012: Josh Simpson. Had talent but bad attitude was his downfall.

2013: Michael Apeness. KPF ruck that had knee issues.

So yeah a rotten period of 1st round picks.

Ross Lyon was sacked at the end of 2019 to make way for Justin Longmuir.

By the time Ross Lyon was sacked, I say 75-80 % of the rebuild was done. Good drafting in that 2016-19 drafts got Freo a bunch of good kids for Justin Longmuir to work with.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Ah this old chest nut.

This is coming from my view as a Freo supporter.

Yeah not a lot Of youth was played in freos finals period of 2012-5.

But you need to see freos 1st round picks from 2007-13.

2007: Rhys Palmer. Average

2008: talented but injury prone. Made it to 200 games.

2009: Anthony Morabito. Awesome debut season then played no AFL for 3 years due to 3 knee re constructions in a row.

2010: Jayden Pitt retired after 3 years and 20 games due to a hear condition. Gutted as we could of and should of chosen jack Darling.

2011: Hayden Crozier. Average

2012: Josh Simpson. Had talent but bad attitude was his downfall.

2013: Michael Apeness. KPF ruck that had knee issues.

So yeah a rotten period of 1st round picks.

Ross Lyon was sacked at the end of 2019 to make way for Justin Longmuir.

By the time Ross Lyon was sacked, I say 75-80 % of the rebuild was done. Good drafting in that 2016-19 drafts got Freo a bunch of good kids for Justin Longmuir to work with.

Agree that Lyon left Freo in a very good position for Longmuir to come in. Given that, the allegation that he doesn't develop players is wrong IMO.

The allegation that his teams are horrible to watch and that he is the Great Enemy of Football is valid though.

jabba5114

Premiership Player
Jan 23, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bwahaha you lot in South Australia have taken your success for granted... Only in the last 15 or so years you complain about non Victorian clubs getting belted by Victorian clubs in the grand final.

Crows, Brisbane, Sydney and west coast.... All of them made finals at least 8 times in that 1995-2010 period. Made at least 2 grand finals and got at least one flag.

Port a similar thing. But it was finals 7 times out of 14 and 1 flag in 2004 from 2 grand finals .

Try being a Freo supporter from 1995-2010. Elim final loss at home to Essendon In 2003, prelim final in 2006 ànd semi final loss in 2010. 3 times out of 16 years of finals for only 2 finals wins
Was my post wrong though? 3gf is more than 0gf =better coach.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Agree that Lyon left Freo in a very good position for Longmuir to come in. Given that, the allegation that he doesn't develop players is wrong IMO.

The allegation that his teams are horrible to watch and that he is the Great Enemy of Football is valid though.
Agreed👍

I agreed on both of your paragraphs. I think he left at the right time in 2019.

I won't deny he played dour footy but that's partially because what hand he was dealt with at Freo.

A forward line of an ageing Pavlich, a 187 tall Chris Mayne at CHF and 2 decent smalls in Walters and Ballantyne from 2012-15. I wasn't surprised we didn't kick 100 points each week

If theres extra time in 2010 Saints win. All the momentum. And if they picked the splinters out of the Sherrin after Hawks goal in 2009 who knows what would of happened.
Strange how Collingwood supporters never mention the Wellingham "goal" from the 2011 GF that happened later in a close GF to that time when discussing what ifs.
Why is that?

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Strange how Collingwood supporters never mention the Wellingham "goal" from the 2011 GF that happened later in a close GF to that time when discussing what ifs.
Why is that?
Because we’re taking about St Kilda here pencil dick. Cats won that game anyway so result wasn’t affected. What if? Cats still win. Thats why no campaigner cares.

Because we’re taking about St Kilda here pencil dick. Cats won that game anyway so result wasn’t affected. What if? Cats still win. Thats why no campaigner cares.
And Geelong beat St Kilda by 12 points so the Hawkins goal also doesn’t mean s**t now does it, so why bring it up?

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
But none of his GF teams have kicked more than 10 goals. Is it any wonder they did not win?

Saints choked hard in '09, they should have had that game put away by half time.

2013, Freo choked hard in first half and cost themselves the game.

He's not on the ground kicking it for them, in both instances that's on the players.

Viewing merely making finals as a 'success' is for loser clubs like Fremantle.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not my fault that Freo was poorly run for most of its existence, especially from 1995-2009.

Still..... Your biggest fear should be sacking Hinkley for someone worse than him as your next coach
Not really.

Genuinely bottoming out and rebuilding is better than perpetual mediocrity for our flag chances.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Is Ken Hinkley a bad coach or has port not really had a good list during his tenure? Maybe some port supporters can provide inside cause I haven’t really paid attention to them pre 2020. I know Robbie gray and Boak were apparently good it their prime but who else?

Whereas Lyon had NR, Milne, G-Train, Hayes and Goddard. Maybe it’s a bit unfair.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Not really.

Genuinely bottoming out and rebuilding is better than perpetual mediocrity for our flag chances.

depends....

Lack of Premierships and Grand final aside.....

Under Ken Hinkley, Port has won 5 finals from 2013-2021. so thats 5 finals wins in 9 years. Not bad when you look at It.

I think the main reason Port fans are Bashing Hinkley is 2 reasons.

1. The lack of Premierships and Grand finals. Had Port won a flag or at least made a grand final in either 2014 or 2020, ports fans opinions would be different.

2. Despite winning 5 finals in a 9 year period between 2013-21, the main issue was 2015-19. Port only made finals once between 2015-19, that was that controversial 2017 elim final loss to west coast.

I understand this. Many dockers fans are still frustrated by the Chris Connolly era of 2003-07. only made finals in 2003 and 2006. Freo should of made finals each year from 2003-6.

Saying that, you really want Hinkley sacked and spend the next 3-4 years in the bottom 6?

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
Who will coach Port next season given the AFL has parted was with Coca-Cola. An addict such as Kenny you just can't stop that stuff cold turkey.

Back