Ken Hinkley has a better win % than Damien Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Rohan has a better win % than Dustin Martin

Ken was such a dynamic and clever player. Obviously post playing career, he had a labotomy and remains functional but lacks imagination and the ability to use headphones.

Win/loss percentage can be a misleading measure of success. Chris Scott / Alan Joyce / Buckley take over superstar lists and successful teams …. Hardwick, Clarkson take over basket cases.

So it would be interesting to look at overall win/loss from a coach’s 3rd year and beyond in each of their coaching stints. So their win/loss isn’t impacted positively or negatively from a team’s ability they were not responsible for - good or bad.

I haven’t done the numbers but it would provide a better reflection of win/loss %.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think Hinkley and Buckley are similar.They took over a good list, then continually underperformed for about 5 seasons ( port 2015 to 2019) and Collingwood 2013 to 2017. As a result, they got good enough picks to eventually be a good team ( or in collingwoods case get good enough picks to trade in some good players from GWS).

I think Hinkley and Buckley are similar.They took over a good list, then continually underperformed for about 5 seasons ( port 2015 to 2019) and Collingwood 2013 to 2017. As a result, they got good enough picks to eventually be a good team ( or in collingwoods case get good enough picks to trade in some good players from GWS).
Hinkley took over what people were calling the worst side of all time?

Also Port never bottomed out to get good picks they got Wines at 7 in Hinkleys first pre-season and have had no other top 10 picks until Rozee who they did some fantastic trading to get. Durssma, Butters, Bergman, and Georgiades were all from fantastic trading into the late first round, none of those picks were from underperforming. If anything they have been disadvantaged from constantly finishing 10-6...

I feel like Hinkley is a fantastic people person and he has done wonders but I think he needs to be assisted by a more strategy-based coach. I wish we could have seen a few more years of the Hinkley/Richardson combo.

People forget that the Power were a rabble when Ken took over.
He's done a great job when you consider this along with the fact he's never coached fewer than 10 wins in a season.

Hinkley came into coach a team that lost to both Gold Coast and GWS in their respective first seasons. They were terrible. He got them to finals in 2013 and within a kick of a grand final in 2014.
That’s a fine coaching achievement.
Since then he’s been meh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too much emphasis is put on premierships. But for a stray bounce and an arsey kick (after a bullshit non-free), Lyon and Bucks would be premiership coaches. Port lost to Richmond last year in a prelim by a fingernail. Every chance they would have won the flag.

Hinkley has done a pretty good job. Even this year, their list doesn’t scream top 2 to me. I don’t think they’re underachieving particularly.

Ken has a better win percentage than both Hardwick and Clarkson.
Not in finals!

It's like Power are the anti-Port magpies who grew another leg in finals.

Not in finals!

It's like Power are the anti-Port magpies who grew another leg in finals.

We've made seven preliminary finals in the past 20 seasons yet only have one flag to show for it.

It's hard to argue we haven't underachieved over that time given how talented a lot of our sides have been.

Stupid sexy Hardwick and Clarkson with their 7 premiership cups between them. Wish they had a better home and away record like Kerny…….

Clarko - 4 Premierships (including 3 in a row)
Hardwick - 3 flags (including 3 in 4 years)

Hinkley - 3 prelim losses, a horrific winning % against top 4 sides, only coach to ever take a side from 11-4 to miss Finals and fast closing in on the record of most games ever coached without a GF appearance.

Stupid sexy Hardwick and Clarkson with their 7 premiership cups between them. Wish they had a better home and away record like Kerny…….
Lol, I'm sure they would swap their flags for Kenny's better winning record.

Clarko - 4 Premierships (including 3 in a row)
Hardwick - 3 flags (including 3 in 4 years)

Hinkley - 3 prelim losses, a horrific winning % against top 4 sides, only coach to ever take a side from 11-4 to miss Finals and fast closing in on the record of most games ever coached without a GF appearance.

Essendon 2012 missed finals from 11-4.

Account created today to bump this thread - why would you bother?

Had to laugh at Dwayno on SEN yesterday - he reckons the pass mark for Port this year is no less than top two - ie, must make the Grand Final. Except he doesn't think Hinkley should be sacked if he fails to achieve that pass mark (again) - there may be "reasons" :rolleyes:

Account created today to bump this thread - why would you bother?

Had to laugh at Dwayno on SEN yesterday - he reckons the pass mark for Port this year is no less than top two - ie, must make the Grand Final. Except he doesn't think Hinkley should be sacked if he fails to achieve that pass mark (again) - there may be "reasons" :rolleyes:

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of PhatBoy regarding Ken, given he's a known Chris Scott supporter and Chris Scott is a coach who's currently in a similar predicament to Ken.

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of PhatBoy regarding Ken, given he's a known Chris Scott supporter and Chris Scott is a coach who's currently in a similar predicament to Ken.

Hinkley took over a club that had done very little since the 07 grand final and he’s turned them into a consistent side who has been around the top four for a while and just made a preliminary final. If he does it again good luck to him, I’d say it adds more weight to the idea that he’s a good coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back