• After the bye

Votes: 59 21.3%
  • End of the season

Votes: 68 24.5%
  • Never - coach for life

Votes: 88 31.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

They were 11-4 in 2018 and finished 12-10. In 2017 they came home with a wet sail and finished 14-8 then lost to us after we only made it because Melbourne choked in Rd 23. Last year they were all over the shop. 8 wins over 20 points, 8 losses over 20 points. Go to Melbourne and flog Essendon (finalist) then lose to North who have nothing to play for two weeks later by 86 points when finals are still on the line.

I don't know who steers the ship at Port. List management has been poor but I don't know how much of a say the head coach has in that. I'm more interested in the consistency of the team and any players going backwards. Would have been laughed off BigFooty if you suggested trading Chad Wingard for pick 15 and Ryan Burton a few years ago, but by the end of 2018 he was playing as a 70-80% version of himself. Still put up standout games (and has since he left) but no consistency. Travis Boak was a star 2013-15 then for 3 years was good but not great. All of a sudden in 2019 he was back to winning the B&F and being in AA consideration. Broadbent is only 29 and is delisted. Went from important half back to SANFL player. Ollie Wines has stalled and seems more interested in wakeboarding and seeking trades. Etc.
In the early years they had a distinct game plan - run you in to the ground and play expansive attacking footy. They were super fit and stuck to that plan.

Then like so many other coaches who don't win it all they start doubting the plan and trying to add in more defensive tactics. Port had the year where they had a really strong backline (2018 I think) because they always had everyone behind the ball chipping it safely and slowly! So of course they couldn't score. Last year they seemed to lurch between attacking, defensive, possession based etc almost weekly.

I think the up and down list management partly follows the fact that the coaching and game plan haven't been set. Instead of trusting the system it's desperately looking for players to plug in.

I think they also wisely pivoted to youth when they realised it was all going nowhere and they better bring in some good draft picks before they are left with a poor list. In general they draft and develop well so a tyre fire list was unlikely but things were trending poorly. So in some ways the decisions to change plans abruptly should be applauded, whilst also asking the important question of who was responsible.

I'm not as negative of some of the players you listed. I think Boak was right to move out of the midfield when they had deeper talents. Broadbent had a heap of injuries and battled the mental side as well, it happens. Wines has been caught out by the game getting so much quicker with Richmond, the trade stuff is a worry but i think he'll settle in to a very good but not great player - a Ben Cunnington type career.

Losing Wingard and Polec were the 2 big ones and that could've really stuffed them up but they've been lucky or excellent to bring in Rozee and Duursma

In the early years they had a distinct game plan - run you in to the ground and play expansive attacking footy. They were super fit and stuck to that plan.

Then like so many other coaches who don't win it all they start doubting the plan and trying to add in more defensive tactics. Port had the year where they had a really strong backline (2018 I think) because they always had everyone behind the ball chipping it safely and slowly! So of course they couldn't score. Last year they seemed to lurch between attacking, defensive, possession based etc almost weekly.

I think the up and down list management partly follows the fact that the coaching and game plan haven't been set. Instead of trusting the system it's desperately looking for players to plug in.

I think they also wisely pivoted to youth when they realised it was all going nowhere and they better bring in some good draft picks before they are left with a poor list. In general they draft and develop well so a tyre fire list was unlikely but things were trending poorly. So in some ways the decisions to change plans abruptly should be applauded, whilst also asking the important question of who was responsible.

I'm not as negative of some of the players you listed. I think Boak was right to move out of the midfield when they had deeper talents. Broadbent had a heap of injuries and battled the mental side as well, it happens. Wines has been caught out by the game getting so much quicker with Richmond, the trade stuff is a worry but i think he'll settle in to a very good but not great player - a Ben Cunnington type career.

Losing Wingard and Polec were the 2 big ones and that could've really stuffed them up but they've been lucky or excellent to bring in Rozee and Duursma
They were also played an extremely high-pressure gamestyle that forced turnovers. This is also what made them 'seem' super fit, because turnovers later in games were capitalized on with players running forward into space (very similar to what Richmond does rn).

You are right in that they seemed to change their style around a lot after ~2014. Even in 2019, they smashed WC in Perth and handled Geelong fairly comfortably at home, yet then get done by 15 goals against North when finals were right there. Seems like a team that has lost their gamestyle/identity. Most notably when they targeted Lachie Neale per Hinkley's comments, yet seemed to forget about playing the game as Brisbane jumped to a 40 point lead.

As soon as Port are out of the finals contention he will be walked but ken is a crafty cat his Gold Coast bluff was of the highest order
He might find a way to make the finals get the extra year and continue his dynasty

Hopefully he ends up at Geelong. The other Scott can join his bro on the AFL gravey train or the media.

Still remember when he told TV audiences before the game that Port were going to terrorise Lachie Neale. I think he's just a bogan who's out of his depth and it's remarkable he's been in the job for so long.

That was just one of a long list of Hinkley Incompetence. God I hate this guy.

The only sides that have not won a final since Port last played in one are Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane and Gold Coast. Those sides have also sacked coaches during that time (multiples time in the case of Essendon, St Kilda and Gold Coast). You can do the math here.

That being said, I am still a little surprised at how vocal many of the Port fans are on here about getting rid of him. Rarely see this level of hatred towards their own coach. Does this mean the board is incompetent?
funny you brought this up.....

You said....The only sides that have not won a final since Port last played in one are Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane and Gold Coast.

Lets bring up 3 teams specifically....

St Kilda: Hasnt played finals since 2011. So from 2012-19 is 8 years without finals.

Brisbane: Until this year, they spent 2010-18 outside the finals spot.

Gold Coast: Been in the comp for 9 years and Still hasnt played finals. Hell if you want a comparison, they are worse than Freo compared to their 9 years. It took freo 9 years to make their 1st final and they had less concessions and were more poorly run than gold coast now.

If you are Wondering why So Many Port fans wanna get rid of Hinkley....

Piss Easy, you remembered when Port made finals in 2013 and 2014? They beat collingwood at the MCG in 2013. They then beat richmond and Freo and then nearly beat the hawks in the 2014 finals series.

Lets keep this in mind. Since that 2014 prelim final loss to the hawks, they only made finals once from 2015-19 and that was in 2017 when they finish 5th and lost to your mob in that Elimination final in Adelaide.

To Be Brutally honest..... a team with Carlisle, Trengrove, Ryder, Boak, Gray, Wingard, Hartlett, Westoff, Wines, Schulz and Lobbe in their primes, They should of made finals each year from 2015 onwards.

So yes A decent coach would of made finals with this lot each year from 2013-19 and rightfully so.

I have posted this before. I had the similar Feeling Towards chris Connolly when he was sacked in 2007 as that freo side underachieved from 2003-7. Freo had that elim final loss in 2003 and that prelim in 2006. Most freo fans agreed that freo side from 2003-7, should of made finals each year from 2003-7.

....."He's been pretty good, Kenny, considering all the outside noise and ... the abuse he's copped from our supporters for the last year or so," Cornes said......

Cry me a river. Sack Hinkley.

Hinkley's protection in the media at full force.
If he was coaching the Crows he would have been sacked end of 2016 - Sando reached the PF and then had two mediocre mid-table seasons after and were booted out (same as Pyke but he reached GF at least).

Kenny, some advice because I want you to succeed, coil up in the corner like a snake waiting to strike, keep
them guessing and leave the Nostradamus like predictions to Kochy. People respect the quiet coach who is
in total control, leave the talking for after the performance. Actions speak louder than words..
Yeah but this is their bicentenary year , so they have to deliver something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kenny Hinkley challenges Charlie Dixon, do it again and again and again and again. All I can say is I told he
was the master motivator, let those words sink in again and again and again. Kenny maybe before you play
the Bulldogs tell Charlie Dixon "he is only as good as his last game" no need for a royalty you can have
that one for free.

How do you spell Extension ?, never mind.

Gerard Whateley embarrassed himself last year fawning over Hinkley asking for Ken to get ‘more time’. He has been there for 8 years FFS!

Hinkley's protection in the media at full force.
If he was coaching the Crows he would have been sacked end of 2016 - Sando reached the PF and then had two mediocre mid-table seasons after and were booted out (same as Pyke but he reached GF at least).

Crows for all their faults do not accept mediocrity at all. Don’t think any adelaide coach has ever survived two years in a row without a finals appearance.

Kenny Hinkley challenges Charlie Dixon, do it again and again and again and again. All I can say is I told he
was the master motivator, let those words sink in again and again and again. Kenny maybe before you play
the Bulldogs tell Charlie Dixon "he is only as good as his last game" no need for a royalty you can have
that one for free.

How do you spell Extension ?, never mind.
'Do it again' implies a proven ability to the do it in the first place...

I rate the youth. If Charlie is the club darling, though, Ken's in a ton of trouble.

Can a mod please close this thread or send to Port board? Someone like Messenger and Chief

We don't actually want Port to get rid of him do we? Besides this thread is a form of bullying Ken is a former AFL great and shouldn't be lynched like this

I have a sick feeling Port are going to get done by the Suns in round 1.

GC are usually up and about in March/April.

I've had it in my head all summer that they'll beat us in Round 1. They'll have been thinking about us for 6 months and they'll be inspired by Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Rankine etc. all playing their first games.

Port will be getting Gold Coast at their absolute best in Round 1 and we won't be prepared for it.

Can a mod please close this thread or send to Port board? Someone like Messenger and Chief

We don't actually want Port to get rid of him do we? Besides this thread is a form of bullying Ken is a former AFL great and shouldn't be lynched like this

I think we need to recalibrate the use of “former AFL great”.

Back