Ken Hinkley- Tigers Coach????

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't surprise me if you'd never heard of Ken Hinkley. Dual AA, would have won a Brownlow but for injury...but he didn't play for Collingwood.

I've heard of him mate and he was a very good player.

Relax, it was a play on words, I was bagging Richmond not Geelong!!!

(ps I'm still convinced North thought they'd picked up Sav's brother when they recruited Eugene Arocca!!!!!!)

Hope its not Alan Richardson. He deserves a premiership after missng out in 1990 due to injury, and he's not going to get one at Richmond.

oiy timmy you spanner how many flags has mick got at collingwood? or how man flags have any coach got at the woods in the last 50 years? richardson has no better chance getting a flag at the pies than the tigers.

I hope Hinkley gets it. He would have been the man to replace Bomber down the track if he stays with us. But he is pure quality and I hope he takes what he learnt at Geelong about turning around negative culture and applies it to Tigerland.

Hardwick is looking everywhere for work, has now gone to Port to chat to them for an assistant role when he is in the running still for our job. I for one dont like that at all......
Seriously? He's supposed to just sit on his hands and not consider other options while Richmond decide?
exactly, said it in a thread earlier in the week. hardwick poorly judged essendons talent, knighter saw potential and has developed it well. we cant afford another poor judge of talent at the club, no matter how much of a hardass he may be. if those things are indeed true, hes a damn good assistant but would fail as a senior.
But didn't he just want to get rid of a bunch of players that won't be around for the next premiership tilt? Like Lucas, Lloyd, etc. Given these players probably won't be around, how can you prove him wrong yet? He never said Essendon didn't have some talented youngsters. He just said the list had too many players on it who won't be around for the next tilt. Better to get rid of these players now and get some kids in. It is the same model Hawthorn used to good effect.
Exactly. If Essendon don't win a flag with Lucas, Lloyd and Fletcher playing a large part he will be proven correct. As it is Lucas has already retired. Two more to go. Now the Dons may end up winning one after these guys retire, but would they have been a better side with a few draft picks that they would have picked up? Hard to say. Certainly the club spirit of keeping those guys is also important.

Seriously? He's supposed to just sit on his hands and not consider other options while Richmond decide?Exactly. If Essendon don't win a flag with Lucas, Lloyd and Fletcher playing a large part he will be proven correct. As it is Lucas has already retired. Two more to go. Now the Dons may end up winning one after these guys retire, but would they have been a better side with a few draft picks that they would have picked up? Hard to say. Certainly the club spirit of keeping those guys is also important.

No you are wrong about why Hardwick did not get the essendon gig. Of course he did not think the older players would be part of our next tilt, but he also did not think many of the kids were up to scratch, I have no doubt in my mind that if we would have taken Hardwick players like Lonergan, Hocking, Reimers, Watson and maybe Dyson would not be playing the good consistent regular senior footy they are now. Knights has faith our kids given the opportunity could make it, Hardwick wanted a full overhaul.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, whoever gets the Richmond job will be taking on the poisoned chalice. With one exception in the modern era (Northey) no Richmond coach has gone on to coach another AFL club, and all have enjoyed negligible success at Tigerland. With Richmond's current list, I can't see finals football in the forseeable future

But didn't he just want to get rid of a bunch of players that won't be around for the next premiership tilt? Like Lucas, Lloyd, etc. Given these players probably won't be around, how can you prove him wrong yet? He never said Essendon didn't have some talented youngsters.

Three things (going by reports),

1. No he didn't rate our youngsters. He did not rate our list at all, he essentially told the club that we needed a complete rebuild and would not be competitive for at least 5 years.

2. He didn't want to get rid of Lloyd. He did want to get rid of Lucas and Fletcher. Absolute club champions and loved by the playing group, would have ripped the absolute heart out of the club.

Hawthron traded Thompson and Hay and got lucky that the Roos were happy to pay way over value to get them. Thompson and Hay at their best were good players, they were not club champions.

Trading Lucas and/or Fletcher for some cheap draft picks that would not assure us of getting a good player, would be the same as the Hawks trading Shane Crawford.

3. Our list was young. Majority of our list was 22 or under or 29+. We had very few players in the 23-28 age bracket, so why the hell would we rid one or two of the few experienced players we had.

Who knows just how much the likes of Neagle, Gumbleton, Daniher, Pears, Hurley and Hooker have learnt and developed from just being at the clubs watching and learning from Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher.

Ken Hinkley isn't even in the Sportsbet market for Richmond's next coach. Surely you think they'd at least ask him the question?

Sadly, whoever gets the Richmond job will be taking on the poisoned chalice. With one exception in the modern era (Northey) no Richmond coach has gone on to coach another AFL club, and all have enjoyed negligible success at Tigerland. With Richmond's current list, I can't see finals football in the forseeable future
Backfire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back