Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

So on brand for Port supporters to be hating on their coach after a win.
So on brand for Hinkley defenders to think that squeaking a narrow win over 13th placed St Kilda in April somehow addresses his long and unparalleled record of finals failures.

None of this even addresses the content of my post, let alone rebuts it.

The head recruiter delivered Ken three forwards who were proven 70% or thereabouts accurate goalkickers at their previous clubs, his gamestyle immediately turned two of them into 60% accurate goalkickers and one of them into a 50% accurate goalkicker. So yes, our accuracy is on Hinkley and his dogshit forward structure and even more dogshit mental preparation.
Because stats are like bikinis. What they show you is interesting, but so it what they don't show.

Show me beehives or those players expected scores. We need to contextualise with why the rates have changed. Is it simply nerves or are harder shots being taken.

5th on the ladder having survived an in-game injury crisis that should have sank them.

Hinkley is guiding them to thereabouts territory yet again and who knows from there in a weak comp.

Keep knocking on the door and someone may eventually answer, holding a Coke Zero.

And I think that's me off the Hinkley train.

Don't mind losing, but that was absolutely pathetic.
Steele Sidebottom said Port a like a biscuit, they crumble under pressure.
Goes to show opposition sides don't respect them.

Chris Scott will shamelessly say whatever will benefit Geelong, and Ken Hinkley continuing to coach Port Adelaide benefits Geelong because it's one less team for them to worry about winning a premiership.
David Koch is a great president for the same reason, in that Port don't bottom out.
He's also said rebuilding is an excuse for failure and Port won't rebuild under him.

Port are trying to emulate our model and even though they've been successful at attracting players from other clubs, they're inability to attract any superstars is a reason why they haven't been to hit the high water marks we have.
Chris Scott being a superior coach to Ken Hinkley is another reason.

Everyone watch, the Ken Media Cartel will go into overdrive this week claiming that Ken’s doing a great job with all the injuries, especially if we lose the Showdown.

Would you have taken a 6-2 start, when the fixture was released?
An 8-0 start wouldn't make one iota of difference to anybody's opinion of Ken. It's April. He's never been a bad H&A coach. Win finals or * off.

An 8-0 start wouldn't make one iota of difference to anybody's opinion of Ken. It's April. Win finals or * off.
How can he win finals in April without making them, though?

Personally my opinion of Kenny would shift with an 0-8 start and 60% rather than an 8-0 start and 170%. He'd need the finals wins, but it would be a solid start. It seems that you disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How can he win finals in April without making them, though?
He can't, which is why this thread should be locked until September. Ken can't even address the criticism of him until September, let alone rebut it.

Where do you rate Port's list in the comp? I'd say they have about the 7th best list right now. So one finals win would be par. Less is unders and more is overs.
Believing you can objectively rate lists independently of the coaching and gameplan is lunacy.

Outside of Dusty I don't think Richmond ever had anywhere near the best list in the comp, and they won three flags. Guys like Jason Castagna, Jack Graham, Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett wouldn't get a game for us on talent, but their coach found a system that fit them and gave them belief in themselves. Ken Hinkley wouldn't get Richmond's 2017-2020 list past about 6th.

Believing you can objectively rate lists independently of the coaching and gameplan is lunacy.

Outside of Dusty I don't think Richmond ever had anywhere near the best list in the comp, and they won three flags. Guys like Jason Castagna, Jack Graham, Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett wouldn't get a game for us on talent, but their coach found a system that fit them and gave them belief in themselves. Ken Hinkley wouldn't get Richmond's 2017-2020 list past about 6th.
I highly disagree that Port from that era had a better list than Richmond. Geelong also badly suffered after about the top 8 compared to them. Yes they had a couple of plodders at the bottom but their B cast was actually deceptively strong.

I highly disagree that Port from that era had a better list than Richmond. Geelong also badly suffered after about the top 8 compared to them. Yes they had a couple of plodders at the bottom but their B cast was actually deceptively strong.
Good coaching is what makes seemingly untalented B casts 'deceptively strong'.

All you're doing in this thread is demonstrating that you have no understanding of the fact that coaching can make players better or worse.

Good coaching is what makes seemingly untalented B casts 'deceptively strong'.

All you're doing in this thread is demonstrating that you have no understanding of the fact that coaching can make players better or worse.
No need to get personal. It seems you don't actually want to have a discussion, so I bid you good day.

Watching Port this year, the thing that stands out most is their inefficiency when entering the forward 50.
It's very similar to watching Melbourne play and I imagine it must be very frustrating for Port supporters.

Port's forward line coach is Chad Cornes so he is responsible for Port's forward 50 system, yet no one has criticised him for Port's inefficiency.
Where is the scrutiny?

Watching Port this year, the thing that stands out most is their inefficiency when entering the forward 50.
It's very similar to watching Melbourne play and I imagine it must be very frustrating for Port supporters.

Port's forward line coach is Chad Cornes so he is responsible for Port's forward 50 system, yet no one has criticised him for Port's inefficiency.
Where is the scrutiny?
Chad Cornes is routinely criticised on the Port BF board. Should be out the door along with Ken at the earliest opportunity.

I browsed through the match thread on the Port board.

50 pages and 1,200 posts of pure relentless negativity. From go to woah...

Maybe 20 or 30 positive posts from random well-adjusted Port fans which stand out like a beacon in a Sea of Toxicity

They all started in on Hinkley from the outset, blaming him for Port's 1st qtr inaccuracy (1 goal, 8 behinds)
As though Kenny has any control over his players' kicking for goal... (SMH.. Absolute muppets)

Bagging the coach, bagging nearly every player, threatening to quit following club, saying "I've had enough", etc

This is when they win a hard-fought close game, mind you. 5th place on the ladder with 5 wins and 2 losses.

Their carry on was exactly the same as the poor North fans after their 45 point loss to Hawthorn last week. At least, I can understand why the North fans would be so dispirited after getting belted in perhaps the one "winnable" game on their fixture and finding themselves winless in 18th place again. (their 5th successive year at rock bottom)

Port, by contrast, are premiership contenders for the 4th time in the past 5 years.

I can't believe these fickle clowns on the Port board actually call themselves "Port Adelaide supporters". They're the complete opposite of supporters. You see Channel 7's occasional shots of the mad, passionate Port fanatics in the crowd and the difference between them is palpable. You realise those in the crowd are the true Port supporters and most of the whinging sooks on the Port board are just angry, frustrated, basement-dwelling losers.

Last edited:
I browsed through the match thread on the Port board.

50 pages and 1,200 posts of pure relentless negativity. From go to woah...

Maybe 20 or 30 positive posts from random well-adjusted Port fans which stand out like a beacon in a Sea of Toxicity

"I 'browsed' through the thread" ... you read 50 pages well enough to put the number of positives posts between 20 and 30. Quit the maskerade - you obviously read the whole thing with a preconceived notion of what you'd find, and were not disappointed. At least be honest about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back