Ken Hinkley - Why Was He Ever Doubted ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Hinkley did a longer than normal apprenticeship at a handful of clubs and was always being given glowing endorsements as to how suitable he would be as a senior coach.

He had been overlooked a few times in the past and even for the Port Adelaide gig, he wasn't their preferred choice and was the only real option left after the others all dropped out.

The question now is, after turning Port Adelaide around and have them now undefeated after five rounds, why did none of the other clubs look at him as a serious option in the past ??

It's quite clear the guy can coach, he has a playing group following his directions implicitly and playing great committed footy after being a near basketcase in the previous couple of years. Best of all, he hasn't made a heap of changes to the playing list either (apart from a couple of Free Agent signings).

Selection committees go for the glitzy sales jobs with the sports science and the "vision for the club" - Ken is a no frills sort of a guy that inspires loyalty - he was passed over too many times - it's the best story of 2013 and I hope they don't fall away

No Geelong supporter doubted him that's for sure. He was the architect of the game plan that Bomber Thompson gets credit for. Great to see him having success. But you also have to say he has some really good people helping him too. These things are never just the cause of one man.
This.

The word down at Geelong for years was that he was the best assistant coach they had compared to the rest. Though every time he went for a senior position he would tell the club interview panel what needs to be done and what's wrong with them on field very direct and blunt, not trying to be fancy with words and toot his own horn while seducing the panel. While all the other applicants for the job had wizzbang multi coloured exciting PowerPoint presentations to sell themselves and Hinkley is an old school chalk and black board kind guy.

So other clubs kept overlooking him because they were dazzled by some PowerPoint display and were told what they wanted to hear while being stroked. That's not Hinkley.

How on earth would you possibly know this?? or are you just going by simple assumptions about the demeanor of the guy?

LOL. You blokes still peddling that story.

Because it's true :thumbsu:

Even Gold Coast didn't want Ratten as an assistant coach. They took the guy who we sacked in the middle of his contract instead. I know you don't want to hear this about your ex-club legend, but he isn't that good a coach and he wasn't hot property when you guys sacked him.

September 13: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ide-coaching-job/story-e6frf9jf-1226473642983

Ratten looks like he wants the job!

September 15: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...elaide-next-year/story-e6frexx0-1226474736442

Ratten's meeting with us again? He must really want the job.

September 19: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ver-coaching-job/story-fnca0u4y-1226476870491

Well, he certainly seems like a guy who wants the job, doesn't he? Now let's see what happens after the interview:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ion-for-port-adelaide-job-20120920-2699n.html

Ratten made the effort of applying in two separate interviews, only to suddenly decide that he didn't want the job? How very odd. It's almost as if he didn't think he would get it ...

'Although the Ratten camp contacted Port Adelaide, it is understood the former Blues coach was no certainty to get the senior job, a fact of which he was acutely aware.'

But surely he was still hot property, right?

Ratten spoke to the Gold Coast on Tuesday but it is believed no other club has made contact with the Carlton coach

I would have been happy if we'd appointed him over Scott at the time but the club understandably wanted an outsider who didn't already have relationships with the players (one of the reasons Primus failed at Port).

I couldn't be happier with Chris Scott, nor for Hinkley and Port that they're off to a flyer. No Geelong people would ever underestimate Kenny - as well as being a club champion, he was the architect behind the gameplan that turned us into a powerhouse.

How on earth would you possibly know this?? or are you just going by simple assumptions about the demeanor of the guy?

Maybe because of the simple fact that I live in Geelong and being the way it is you do get to mingle with players and associates of the GFC from time to time, prior to Hinkley leaving they labelled him as a possible future great coach but was overlooked because he didn't have a "jazz" that interview panels get blinded by.

The reason why Ken was overlooked so many times is because every team when looking for a new senior coach has been looking for a pretty boy assistant coach who can double up as a marketing guru for the club. Ken should have had a senior job 5 years ago but didn't fit the mould. I'd rather have a man that can coach and not give a toss for selling the club.

The reason why Ken was overlooked so many times is because every team when looking for a new senior coach has been looking for a pretty boy assistant coach who can double up as a marketing guru for the club. Ken should have had a senior job 5 years ago but didn't fit the mould. I'd rather have a man that can coach and not give a toss for selling the club.

Amen to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley was always held in high regard at Geelong, he was the last man standing for the Port Adelaide job so in the end they had no choice, because no one else wanted the job! They have had a dream start to the year with the draw and their first real test was the great win against West Coast coming from 7 goals down to win. The Eagles look stuffed so further proof will be required and that will come when they face the likes of the Hawks, Swans, Cats, Pies and Bombers away from home! Until then the jury is still out, Hinkley is the right man for the gig and they really only had one way to go this year and that was up. The win against The Eagles was a great one and it's those sort of wins that make or break footy teams, Port are definitely on the right track as that game could've easily derailed their entire season had they capitulated. I'm still not convinced they can maintain this form and make the 8, let's see where they are at after round 11?

Lack of powerpoint presentation skills and a lack of telling selection committees what they want to hear. Criteria for selection of coaches having little emphasis on the ability to coach. Nepotism. Fluff. Football. Western Royboy... you were right!

Lack of powerpoint presentation skills and a lack of telling selection committees what they want to hear. Criteria for selection of coaches having little emphasis on the ability to coach. Nepotism. Fluff. Football. Western Royboy... you were right!

It's not different now days with players, they recruit kids with athletic ability rather than football skills and hope to teach them the football side of things. That's why kids like barlow(slow)/blair(short)/Goodes(fat) got overlooked because they were missing an athletic criteria.

Hinkley was always held in high regard at Geelong, he was the last man standing for the Port Adelaide job so in the end they had no choice, because no one else wanted the job! They have had a dream start to the year with the draw and their first real test was the great win against West Coast coming from 7 goals down to win. The Eagles look stuffed so further proof will be required and that will come when they face the likes of the Hawks, Swans, Cats, Pies and Bombers away from home! Until then the jury is still out, Hinkley is the right man for the gig and they really only had one way to go this year and that was up. The win against The Eagles was a great one and it's those sort of wins that make or break footy teams, Port are definitely on the right track as that game could've easily derailed their entire season had they capitulated. I'm still not convinced they can maintain this form and make the 8, let's see where they are at after round 11?
Do people read threads before they post in them? Wrong, wrong, wrong....go back and do some reading pal.

In fairness, we've changed everything BUT the board...

Neeld's just decided to go into a full blown rebuild because many players on our list weren't up to playing how he wants, I think Hinkley is much more flexible - I think he looked at the strengths of Ports players and lists and developed you guys accordingly rather then saying - 'No, this is how you play!'.

I admit to not knowing much about Melbourne off field. What have you changed?

Do people read threads before they post in them? Wrong, wrong, wrong....go back and do some reading pal.
No point intrying to sugar coat it now...NO ONE WANTED THE JOB! Be thankful Port have ended up with the right man in the end. Even Port had doubts!

October 2012: “Sometimes these things happen and there is a reason for some people to come out at the top at the right time,” Hinkley told reporters when his appointment was announced on Monday.
“People have said ‘last man standing’ – I have heard those comments.
“Maybe I was the right man standing.”

Port, who haven’t played finals since 2007 and receive financial hand-outs from the AFL to stay afloat, wanted to appoint Leon Cameron as their head coach but he chose an assistant role at Greater Western Sydney instead. (Brilliant moveo_O)
Others on Port’s wish-list, including West Coast assistant Scott Burns, didn’t want to apply for the position.
And others still, including sacked Carlton coach Brett Ratten and Collingwood’s senior coaching strategist Rodney Eade, withdrew their bids.

Ken Hinkley was right, he was the right man standing!

No point intrying to sugar coat it now...NO ONE WANTED THE JOB! Be thankful Port have ended up with the right man in the end. Even Port had doubts!

October 2012: “Sometimes these things happen and there is a reason for some people to come out at the top at the right time,” Hinkley told reporters when his appointment was announced on Monday.
“People have said ‘last man standing’ – I have heard those comments.
“Maybe I was the right man standing.”

Port, who haven’t played finals since 2007 and receive financial hand-outs from the AFL to stay afloat, wanted to appoint Leon Cameron as their head coach but he chose an assistant role at Greater Western Sydney instead. (Brilliant moveo_O)
Others on Port’s wish-list, including West Coast assistant Scott Burns, didn’t want to apply for the position.
And others still, including sacked Carlton coach Brett Ratten and Collingwood’s senior coaching strategist Rodney Eade, withdrew their bids.

Ken Hinkley was right, he was the right man standing!
Still wrong. Some people just cannot accept being wrong. Case in point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back