Ken Hinkley - Why Was He Ever Doubted ??

Remove this Banner Ad

No matter which way you look at it, Hinkley ended up being the right man for the job. Whoever knocked back Port had their reasons and ultimately they made a mistake, Ken Hinkley brought with him years of successful experience and know how, his appointment has been crucial to the Port Adelaide turn around. They still have to win games over here in Melbourne against the top sides and that will be their ultimate test, they appear to have their mojo back at home, however they have a dream draw with only 3 more games in Melbourne (Carlton, Essendon and St.Kilda) and 1 trip to Geelong. They don't play the Swans until round 13 at home and also play the Hawks and Pies at home in rounds 14 and 16, they Get GWS and Gold Coast again. It's very difficult to get a real guide on Port Adelaide's improvement. I'll be convinced if they win 2 out of their 3 games at Etihad stadium. I have no doubts about Ken Hinkley's abilities as a coach, he's a good one.

He certainly comes across as old school. They did well picking him, they could have ended up with a Matthew Knights!:eek:

Yeah, because Matthew Knights has really not done anything as Geelong VFL coach, except take them to a premiership, but, more importantly, shaped Allen Christensen, Mitch Duncan, Taylor Hunt, Mark Blicvas, Stephen Motlop, Billie Smedts, and George Horlin-Smith to play regular senior football at a club with one of the best senior groups in the league,and made some of these youngsters premiership players in their first or second year. Yeah, hasn't done anything there (sarcasm mine).

You must go for Essendon if you don't rate Matthew Knights.

Yeah, because Matthew Knights has really not done anything as Geelong VFL coach, except take them to a premiership, but, more importantly, shaped Allen Christensen, Mitch Duncan, Taylor Hunt, Mark Blicvas, Stephen Motlop, Billie Smedts, and George Horlin-Smith to play regular senior football at a club with one of the best senior groups in the league, and made some of these youngsters premiership players in their first or second year. Yeah, hasn't done anything there (sarcasm mine).

Unless I'm mistaken, he's been Geelong (VFL) coach for 1 year (2012), a year that Geelong did NOT win the AFL premiership, hence he wasn't even there when Geelongs last AFL premiership occurred. Additionally, of the players you listed, only 1 - Horlin Smith played in the VFL premiership side.

Of the players you listed he would have rarely seen in the VFL side last year:

* Christenson played 19 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 17 games last year.
* Duncan played 21 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 22 games last year.
* Hunt played 13 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 21 games last year.
* Motlop played 5 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 22 games last year.
* Smedts played 14 AFL games last year including 7 of the first 10 rounds.

I'm not sure how many of the above players have been "shaped" by Knights given the limited (if any) games they have played under him. I would have thought accrediting their development to Knights would be doing a disservice to the rest of your coaching panel.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's been Geelong (VFL) coach for 1 year (2012), a year that Geelong did NOT win the AFL premiership, hence he wasn't even there when Geelongs last AFL premiership occurred. Additionally, of the players you listed, only 1 - Horlin Smith played in the VFL premiership side.

Of the players you listed he would have rarely seen in the VFL side last year:

* Christenson played 19 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 17 games last year.
* Duncan played 21 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 22 games last year.
* Hunt played 13 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 21 games last year.
* Motlop played 5 AFL games in 2011, prior to Knights arrival, and 22 games last year.
* Smedts played 14 AFL games last year including 7 of the first 10 rounds.

I'm not sure how many of the above players have been "shaped" by Knights given the limited (if any) games they have played under him. I would have thought accrediting their development to Knights would be doing a disservice to the rest of your coaching panel.

Okay, then have a look at all the players at Essendon like Hurley, Heppell and others. James Hird was given these players to use but were drafted on Knights' watch and developed them.

He developed most of Essendon's youngsters, he developed the up and comers in Geelong's VFL side, so instead of writing off Knights to impress your Essendon mates, how about giving credit where it is due, and at least admit that he is good at developing young talent.

His record in his one senior coaching job wasn't great, but he has a great record at developing young players, so Hinkley as coach is a good-get, but if you had Matthew Knights as a development coach, it would develop your future youngsters pretty well.

Okay, then have a look at all the players at Essendon like Hurley, Heppell and others. James Hird was given these players to use but were drafted on Knights' watch and developed them.

Heppell was drafted after Knights was sacked.

He developed most of Essendon's youngsters, he developed the up and comers in Geelong's VFL side, so instead of writing off Knights to impress your Essendon mates, how about giving credit where it is due, and at least admit that he is good at developing young talent.

You made some statements about Knights being responsible for giving a group of young players a premiership ..... however I proved the AFL premiership came before he got there, and all bar one of the players you listed did not play in the VFL premiership you mentioned, and additionally, these same players played the majority of their seasons in the AFL side which he doesn't coach. As such the statements you made did not show he was good at developing young talent.

How about admit your evidence as stated was wrong, rather than trying to change your stance. So you've now listed Hurley and Heppell as evidence. Well Hurley was a pick #5 and widely regarded very highly rated player - it would be more of a surprise if he hadnt played any games, and Heppell never played a game under Knights.

Someone in the media, perhaps rucci said their other day some flubs were worried about his media ability..... Promoting clubs etc, which many lower sides need from their coaches.

Yeah no better way of promoting a club than getting a coach who can't coach.

If this is true, world gone mad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd probably wait at least until the end of the season before even starting to make a judgement...

You made some statements about Knights being responsible for giving a group of young players a premiership ..... however I proved the AFL premiership came before he got there, and all bar one of the players you listed did not play in the VFL premiership you mentioned, and additionally, these same players played the majority of their seasons in the AFL side which he doesn't coach. As such the statements you made did not show he was good at developing young talent.

How about admit your evidence as stated was wrong, rather than trying to change your stance. So you've now listed Hurley and Heppell as evidence. Well Hurley was a pick #5 and widely regarded very highly rated player - it would be more of a surprise if he hadnt played any games, and Heppell never played a game under Knights.

Why don't you change your stance about Matthew Knights being completely useless and incompetent, and considering that the reason he didn't do anything with the Port Magpies may have nothing to do with him? The Port Magpies are broke and have been a basketcase for years, so I doubt any coach can be solely blamed for that.

He has worked with developing good players, but you don't want to give the guy an ounce of credit about anything. If the players he did develop come good in a year or two, will you dismiss that as well, as you loathe to say anything good about the guy. What, did he sleep with your wife, or something?

Why don't you change your stance about Matthew Knights being completely useless and incompetent, and considering that the reason he didn't do anything with the Port Magpies may have nothing to do with him? The Port Magpies are broke and have been a basketcase for years, so I doubt any coach can be solely blamed for that.
Why don't you stop making stuff up ..... where in this thread did I mention the Port Magpies?
In fact where in this thread did I say he was completely useless.

He has worked with developing good players, but you don't want to give the guy an ounce of credit about anything. If the players he did develop come good in a year or two, will you dismiss that as well, as you loathe to say anything good about the guy.

Stop being a twat. You made some big statements about how good he was and mentioned a heap of players that he has influenced and helped win a flag. Almost all of those from Geelong were shown to already be established AFL players before he got to Geelong, and of the two you mentioned he impacted at Essendon one wasn't there. Additionally, he wasn't even at Geelong for their last AFL flag.

If you want to attack me go ahead, but don't make stuff up.... similarly, if you want to talk about his positive influence, don't use players as examples that have rarely played under him, or were top 10 draft picks. Its like me coming on here and claiming Matthew Primus is the reason Chad Wingard is a top player for us.

What, did he sleep with your wife, or something?
I'm starting to wonder if he slept with (and married) your mother, making him your father.

By the way - remember this post:
Mark Thompson
Here's what I predict. Essendon will slip down the ladder, as your list still contains the same hacks that Matthew Knights coached. Hird will eventually get the sack, and Bomber will take over. Who knows, Bomber may even stab golden boy in the back and take his job when he decides he does want to coach again. And Hird will be too naive to see it coming.

That's not entirely true, their is a story told by Stephen Hocking about the time when they were both playing out of the back line. Hocking ended up having to look after two opponents as in the words of Ken Hinkley "I am off to get three Brownlow votes", which he duly did.

Yep, that's how I remember him. He was a very attacking half-back, one could say ahead of his time really. He was a risk-taker, creative and skilful. He was quite an under-rated player, he had a lot of ability and flair.

Ken Hinkley did a longer than normal apprenticeship at a handful of clubs and was always being given glowing endorsements as to how suitable he would be as a senior coach.

He had been overlooked a few times in the past and even for the Port Adelaide gig, he wasn't their preferred choice and was the only real option left after the others all dropped out.

The question now is, after turning Port Adelaide around and have them now undefeated after five rounds, why did none of the other clubs look at him as a serious option in the past ??

It's quite clear the guy can coach, he has a playing group following his directions implicitly and playing great committed footy after being a near basketcase in the previous couple of years. Best of all, he hasn't made a heap of changes to the playing list either (apart from a couple of Free Agent signings).
Hinkley is proving his doubters wrong again this year. It's good to see.

Carlton should look at signing Hinkley as coach if Port decide it's time to part ways with him this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back