Ken v Nicks

Who goes first

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Lots of satisfied Crow supporters laughing at our poor cousins WRT Ken and getting the boot. Seemingly oblivious to our own Matty Nix apprenticeship being almost entirely under the Port master with a year of finishing school under Leon Cameron.

Question is, knowing both are done sometime next season, which is the first to officially lose their job? I think Ken will walk first and Nix will cling on and coach out the year.

Ken will have a resurgence and get another Brad Johnson Premiership (prelim loss)
Nix will win a couple more games and have more to point at. The both are there in 2024

Nicks at least has some charisma and personality. Daddy Donuts has neither of those things. He's definitely done at the end of next year. I doubt he will even last the whole of the 2023 season

Nicks sacked first.

Comedy prediction: It will actually be ambiguous. The Crows management is so broken they even manage to stuff up the task of sacking the coach. He ends up in a week or two of a Rutten-esque limbo where he is both fired and not-fired.

The Power capitalise on this to sack Hinkley, hoping that their bad news gets lost in the background noise. So in some ways Nicks will be sacked both before and after Hinkley.

Nicks sacked first.

Comedy prediction: It will actually be ambiguous. The Crows management is so broken they even manage to stuff up the task of sacking the coach. He ends up in a week or two of a Rutten-esque limbo where he is both fired and not-fired.

The Power capitalise on this to sack Hinkley, hoping that their bad news gets lost in the background noise. So in some ways Nicks will be sacked both before and after Hinkley.
Oh god. This is too real

I predict Nicks will become our Ken and in 2030 we will finish top 2 and not make a GF again...

Then in 2031 we will send out former players with a speech impediment and current players with a head like a novelty watermelon to say they don't like Port Power and their deoxyribonucleic acid isn't suitable for showdown 81.

Hinkley is my bet. There is no way Port could afford to retain him, seeing how adversarial supporters are becoming to him.

Nicks is on track for a 2 year extension by the mid-point of the season, assuming he doesn't stale out. Had a solid two years with one of the more volatile lists in the league coming into a contract year. Assuming we're on track for 9-11 wins, I can't see us wanting to rock the boat at this point. I also doubt Adelaide is in a position where they're hamstrung by a payout.

My hope:
Port Powah get off to a flyer after they return to their usual easy draw, Kochie is all cockahoop and extends Kens contract for another two years.

After yet another half a season of not improving, Nicks gets the arse over the bye round, what a ridiculous decision to give him that 2 year extension by our board - just mistake after mistake from these clowns.

After yet another half a season of not improving, Nicks gets the arse over the bye round
I thought pretty much the same as you until the Rankine-get was announced, so much so that I madea bet with jenny61_99 that Nicks will be sacked around the bye in 2023.
I won't renege on the bet, but:
--- another full pre-season under Burgess will definitely sharpen up several of our blokes. He's all ready done wonders with Fogarty/McAdam/Berry.
--- A forward line of all-fit Walker/Fogarty/Thilthorpe/Rankine/Rachele/McAdam (Gollant and Newchurch to be considered also) would be formidable, provided they play Milera @ HB and Dawson on a wing, and our mids start looking for targets. Nicks loves Keays, so he'll be retained and probably rotate with Rankine and Rachele as mids/HF.
I dunno where Sloane will fit in, tbh, if Hinge and Dawson are on the wings. No room for Sloane forward so maybe as a rebounding HB flanker, Edwards-style?

I'm not saying we'll do a 2022-Collingwood in 2023, but I can see the potential for strong improvement.
If the Crows are 15-18 mid-season, Nicks will be gone.

As for Hinkley, I couldn't give a Malcolm Blight-rat's-tossbag about what happens to him, or Port Power. Fkem.

Lots of satisfied Crow supporters laughing at our poor cousins WRT Ken and getting the boot. Seemingly oblivious to our own Matty Nix apprenticeship being almost entirely under the Port master with a year of finishing school under Leon Cameron.

Question is, knowing both are done sometime next season, which is the first to officially lose their job? I think Ken will walk first and Nix will cling on and coach out the year.

I think the Crows will move on Nicks faster. There would have to be rumblings on the board about how and why we panicked into gifting Nicks an extension so early as its become clear he has some major deficiencies as a coach. Nicks would have been sacked without a doubt this year midseason. Hinkley won't get sacked at least before the end of the season because Kochie's ego wont allow him to move Ken on because it would make him look bad. In fact if Port are in the 8 I can see a contract extension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks sacked first.

I was about to vote but realised that Port probably competing for finals to the end, so he probably coaches out the season. I'm thinking they both make it through to end of season but neither eatery 2024 at current club.

I think the Crows will move on Nicks faster. There would have to be rumblings on the board about how and why we panicked into gifting Nicks an extension so early as its become clear he has some major deficiencies as a coach.
I hope so. I think there was a bias to extend, purely out of a need for stability, with performance being pushed to the way side. I don't expect they will be as accommodating this time around.

Who wanted Nicks in the first place? Not me! I'll be happy when he's gone.

What an apprenticeship!

And yes, I'm laughing at our poor cousins, not because they have Hinkley, but because they're so blind they continue to blame their failures on Hinkley. It's not Hinkley.
I would say a lot of our issues are Hamish Ogilvie's fault.

More than a decade between drafting an A grade mid let alone elite will kill any coach.

Even Brad Crouch was drafted in 2011, and he is not really a proper A grader.

Not trying to defend Nicks, but our lack of drafting midfielders talent since Dangerfield (Sloane) doesn't help him.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hinkley is a good coach, he might even be an excellent coach; he will have offers and opportunities from other clubs

I think he walks away from the abusive, coercive relationship at Alberton for another team.

We won’t terminate Nicks, we will say the 2nd half of season fade-out (a staple of his tenure) was down to young players getting tired. We will desecrate the memory of Phil Walsh by pointing to close losses as moral victories

We just have to hope there is no extension in the off season and he gets the chance to change the narrative in 2024

Last edited:
Hinkley is a good coach, he might even be an excellent coach; he will have offers and opportunities from other clubs

I think he walks away from the abusive, coercive relationship at Alberton for another team.

We won’t terminate Nicks, we will say the 2nd half of season fade-out (a staple of his tenure) was down to young players getting tired. We will desecrate the memory of Phil Walsh by pointing to close losses as moral victories

We just have to hope there is no extension in the off season and he gets the chance to change the narrative in 2024

LOL desecrate the memory of Phil Walsh oh please stop, this board would of treated Walsh the same way it has treated every senior coach
after 2 or 3yrs calls for him to be sacked would start and team selection would be one of the top reasons.

Back