Kennedy's kicking accuracy slammed on TFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone see the game today?

Lynch having a good at Kennedy saying its affecting his accuracy. Guy kicks 5 goals, and is leading the coleman medal and his accuracy is getting questioned. The world just doesn't make sense anymore.

I actually agreed with Lynch.

During the second quarter it did look like Kennedy was overthinking his process.
Fortunately it also seems that during the half time break he was able to calm down.

This is it. No one laughs at Chris Mayne's robotic approach to goal kicking as it works for him...JK's approach is quite unusual, but as long as it works for him people shouldn't laugh lest it becomes ''a thing" and puts him off. It's akin to laughing at the same joke every time someone tells it. Can't we get over it?
The apple cart becomes upset when people don't adhere to the text book. I don't care if a player feels the need to do a handstand before every shot on goal they take. 6 points with a perfect approach is the same as 6 points with an alternative approach.

The biggest problem with is it that it seems to change all the time...if he did the same stutter every time (ie kept a routine), it would be fine. Yesterday he was all over the shop (as pointed out by Lynch), and he had some terrible shots. Could have easily had another two or three goals...I don't think anyone could say it was working for him all that well yesterday when kicking from around the 50.

I don't mind the shutter. Its the full body convulsion that he has just added in at the end is worrying IMO. He is dropping the ball without being as steady as he was even only a few weeks back.

I guess the idea is if he used the proper technique he could be kicking even straighter.

What proper technique though? Facts are, kicking a football is not an exact science, and the right method has to be found for the individual.

A golfer named Moe Norman was ridiculed for for his swing, because he went away from everything that was taught in golf. He will probably go down as the straightest hitter of the golf ball of all time. Now we have guys like Jim Furyk and Bubba Watson who would be laughed at for their swings in the past.

That's why I laugh at commentators who played years ago who get stuck into players who do things like kick around their body for goals.

Kennedy is fine imo.

It isn't his stutter that's the problem, its the way its a whole body motion now. He's waving the ball all over the place before dropping it which means it is affecting his ball drop.

I saw that they were taking piss out of his stutter on Game Day this morn. Spent five or so minutes questioning his routine and 15 seconds on the fact that his conversion rate is one of the highest in the league (third I think...) The Vic commentators will always find something to poke fun about in regards to the interstate teams.

Woosha in his interview answered questions about Kennedy's kicking and it was a rather amusing exchange with the reporters - with Woosha providing comedy gold on few occassions.

I thought that a reporter comparing Kennedy to Fred Flinstone was a quality call also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's gonna need a longer run-up, or should i say stutter-up?, to fit in those extra 8 steps he's introduced into his goalkicking routine.

Ugh.
TFS.
The one thing that NRL does far, far better than us. Nuff said.

The crowd laughing at it kinda annoys me too. Like you said, we've seen it, and it works. Just let him have his kick. Don't want to get to the stage where his own home crowd becomes a distraction

I don't blame the crowd for having a laugh at Kennedy's run up. It DOES look a bit like Fred Flintstone's bowling style. However as has been repeatedly pointed out , it works for him so who cares what it LOOKS like as long as Kennedy himself and the coaches are happy with it !

Rick Barry shot his free throws underarm and was one of the best free throw shooters of all time. I'm sure he got hassled a lot too. Who cares as long as it works.

The problem is if Josh misses a couple in a row then the run up gets blamed. If Joe Bloggs misses a few in a row and nothing will be said.

It's definitely become more pronounced. Eventually its going to get to a point where he is about to kick the ball, but he will just drop to the ground, curl up into a ball and start shivering. Probably never to play AFL football again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back