Kennett: all board members must go when I say

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawtho...s-board-quit-if-i-say-so-20180209-p4yzv3.html

Wow... this is amazing.

Do the Hawks not have board elections like other clubs?

How can one board member (albeit the chairman) simply remove a director when he feels like it?

I’ve often said Collingwood puts too much power at the feet of their president, but this is next level...

Is it even allowed under the club constitution? It’s appalling corporate governance.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
So glad we told this bloke to shove off when he came sniffing to be our club president.

I just find it staggering. Kennett has always been a champion of good corporate governance, what with his instituting of fixed terms to ensure nobody can do an Eddie at Hawthorn.

And now he demands the right to remove elected directors at the snap of his own fingers? WTF

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As long as he is not premier of the state, closing schools and selling the land to his mates for a buck fifty a hectare don't really care what he says or does regarding HFC.

He also said that banning pokies would disadvantage rich clubs. Why doesn't he move Hawthorns pokies venue from Deer Park to Hawthorn?

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
I just find it staggering. Kennett has always been a champion of good corporate governance, what with his instituting of fixed terms to ensure nobody can do an Eddie at Hawthorn.

And now he demands the right to remove elected directors at the snap of his own fingers? WTF

I think it’s fair to point out that Jeff didn’t give himself himself such power, there was unanimous agreement amongst the entire board that he be given this power. It seems strange to me, but those other board members should be copping some stick for this, not Jeff. I’m surprised that the entire board thought this was a good idea and doubt that we will see any rigorous debate at that board table.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
At the end of the day, he's a conservative politician, which often means at least some degree of narcissism, hunger for power and a lust for the spotlight, self-interest and the interests of their own circle, the stinking rich and their cronies well above the interests of the many, and above all at least a somewhat tyrannical and heavy-handed approach to governance.

Stax on the mill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the end of the day, he's a conservative politician, which often means at least some degree of narcissism, hunger for power and a lust for the spotlight, self-interest and the interests of their own circle, the stinking rich and their cronies well above the interests of the many, and above all at least a somewhat tyrannical and heavy-handed approach to governance.
Instead of sitting on the fence why don’t you come out and say what you really think?

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I think it’s fair to point out that Jeff didn’t give himself himself such power, there was unanimous agreement amongst the entire board that he be given this power. It seems strange to me, but those other board members should be copping some stick for this, not Jeff. I’m surprised that the entire board thought this was a good idea and doubt that we will see any rigorous debate at that board table.

He’s by far the most powerful member of the board and has the media around his little finger.

“Give me this or I’m leaving” = unanimous agreement??

Lol, give us a break.

Sheepey

Club Legend
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
A very broad and frankly ignorant post.

Kennett said:
It’s part of my genre that I never go back in life
It's part of his 'genre'? :drunk:

Kennett said his two immediate goals were to make the board and administration ‘‘fit for purpose’’.
Does that mean the current board and administration is not "fit for purpose"?

Back