Kennett the Fashionista

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair.

But I'm not the one blowing the dog whistle.
It's a comment referencing those who are saying Kennett should have known better to make that joke to her because of her heritage, despite the fact she was wearing designer jeans. I'm not actually advocating for treating indigenous people differently than you would anyone else in the country.

Congrats to Caro - she’s hated Kennett with a passion for years and this is kind of the knock out blow she’s always wanted.

As far as the situation with the Rioli’s goes….it’s a shame it ended up like that….

I suspect it’s more just a dickhead comment from a known dickhead - an old man making a dated joke about torn jeans than a racist attack….but perception is reality.

Kennett’s apology is weak, but it’s definitely from a man that does not accept that he made a ‘racist joke’ - and I guess it’s hard for him to accept that is how it was perceived.

So I guess from here, the jungle drums start beating for Kennett’s head by Monday and Hawthorn have him fall on his sword in disgrace….or Jeffrey weathers another storm, sees out his time in the next couple of years anyway (or is it sooner?), and Cyril and Family are back at the club shortly there after.

Well why don’t you enlightened me with your interpretation of it all.

If you have the guts to.
I can definitely see how Caro's emotive leading writing puts people off.

To strip the article back to facts, in 2013 a senior player used a racial slur:
they say that on an end-of-season trip in 2013 a senior player asked teammates whether the partner of an Indigenous teammate was “also a boong”.
Club didn't take it seriously:
“Cyril found out about it,” said Shannyn, “and was very upset, but when it went to the leadership group they told him to ignore it and just said: ‘Don’t worry about it’. No one in the leadership group stood up to act.”

Coaches made some off colour comments:

“But bloody oath it was hard sometimes. Some things that happened to my teammates. The comments by coaches about the blackfellas all sitting together. The white fellas were always welcome to join us. I don’t think they (the club) really had any idea of what it was like for us, in reality.

Club appointed an Indigenous liason officer which seems to have been a PR exercise (feel it s a bit of a stretch to relate this to the Rioli's from Caro):
The club’s subsequent appointment of highly rated Indigenous liaison officer Leon Egan lasted barely one year with Egan only employed one day a week. The club has said the million-dollar funding was largely spent on Hawthorn’s community programs at Katherine. Now the welfare officer role has been mandated as full-time by the AFL and the Hawks appointed Brady Grey two weeks ago.

Rioli's wife went to the club about cultural awareness twice and got blown off (people tangential to the club probably email thought bubbles all the time and get blown off though, so don't think this is that big of a deal):
Shannyn urged the club to improve its cultural awareness. In 2012, while working with the Victorian Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation, she emailed the Hawks’ welfare officer regarding the club’s Indigenous programs but says she received no response. In 2016, she suggested to Clarkson that the club introduce cultural awareness training, but again she said she received no meaningful response.

Kennett insulted her clothing, pretty sure everyone knows the details already.

Afterwards the club deployed Burgoyne to speak with Rioli, an executive went to mediate with his wife, and Clarkson contacted her mother and sister to have them get Rioli to stay:

Football boss Wright visited Shannyn and she says he wondered aloud whether the Kennett comments had triggered some bad memories from her childhood. Wright told The Age he had no recollection of making this comment. Coach Clarkson contacted Shannyn’s mother and sister in a bid to defuse the situation, offering to fly sister Jordan to Melbourne to intervene.

And finally Sam Mitchell has contacted Rioli to reconcile but Rioli isn't interested:
Hawthorn’s new coach Sam Mitchell contacted Rioli in December in a bid to make peace between player and club, while also reinforcing a renewed club quest to forge stronger ties with Indigenous Australia.

Rioli appeared appreciative of Mitchell’s approach, but the journey back to a constructive relationship with the club appears obstacle-laden, particularly while Kennett remains in charge. “I’d be up for helping clubs if they wanted me … Richmond or West Coast … but I wouldn’t go back to Hawthorn after what’s gone on. It’s the only club I wouldn’t put my hand up for right now.”

Club appointed an Indigenous liason officer which seems to have been a PR exercise (feel it s a bit of a stretch to relate this to the Rioli's from Caro):

Rioli's wife went to the club about cultural awareness twice and got blown off (people tangential to the club probably email thought bubbles all the time and get blown off though, so don't think this is that big of a deal):

Afterwards the club deployed Burgoyne to speak with Rioli, an executive went to mediate with his wife, and Clarkson contacted her mother and sister to have them get Rioli to stay:

And finally Sam Mitchell has contacted Rioli to reconcile but Rioli isn't interested:

A good summary

Which means she’s dredging up old news and the Riolis don’t want to discuss anything with HFC but for some reason they are compelled to tell Caro the entire story again

Something is a bit suspect about it all

As in …Caro desperately wanting to write a controversial piece for the sake it

I'm not claiming it was racist, just laughable that rather than apologise for being a dick he went for the gaslighting technique of apologising that the person was offended.

The difference between a joke being taken well and taken poorly is often as much to do with the delivery as the words. If people take offence to a joke you should take responsibility rather than blaming them for being offended.

Didn’t she get upset because she thought it was racist? If so, how could he apologise for that? He’d then admit it was a racist attack

The issue i have with the article is a lot of the article is about Kennett while most of the actions happened at the club in the period of 2012-16 when he wasn't there. There are plenty of peoples actions including club legends and a current AFL commissioner that need to be asked questions as much as Kennett

Kennett still needs to go immediately

The rest of the article is pretty damning for senior people at Hawthorn, rather than just Kennett’s comment about Shannyn’s ripped jeans.

The leadership telling Rioli to just get over a teammate making that comment and using that term isn’t a great look.
One of those leaders is their coach

The issue i have with the article is a lot of the article is about Kennett while most of the actions happened at the club in the period of 2012-16 when he wasn't there. There are plenty of peoples actions including club legends and a current AFL commissioner that need to be asked questions as much as Kennett

It's a hit piece on Jeff - but if anyone deserves one....

Yeah fully agree. I actually think the bigger issue with Kennett is that he's an autocratic dickhead rather than racism, but as you say the overarching issue which has little to do with Kennett is it seems like the club didn't care at all about building bridges with the Indigenous community. The handling of the Kennett issue just highlights the only focus was on pressuring Rioli to stay, not with actually doing anything on the club's end about the longstanding issues which alienated Rioli.

Very disappointing as a supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those leaders is their coach
From memory he completely walked away from the leadership group when he stood down as captain so may not have been a part of any of the decisions. There are still questions for him though as well

The airport joke isn’t racist. It just isn’t. It’s a dad joke. So Rioli’s wife being upset about that can’t be about racism in isolation. It was no doubt the tipping point though, as there were other issues obviously simmering that caused her to boil over.

What is highly problematic is the ‘keep quiet’ mentality when racist comments were heaped around. I don’t think any AFL club has come far at all when it comes to addressing these issues. It’s all pretty backward and isn’t going to change whilst there is a certain generation of players, coaches, staff etc involved in the game. It’ll really only be when the current generation grows older and starts filtering into those roles and leadership positions that it’s going to shift.

Scrapping indigenous round would help. It’s a piss take to try and display ‘respect’ to indigenous people when the system itself is so bent out of shape. It’s absolute tokenism.

Congrats to Caro - she’s hated Kennett with a passion for years and this is kind of the knock out blow she’s always wanted.

As far as the situation with the Rioli’s goes….it’s a shame it ended up like that….

I suspect it’s more just a dickhead comment from a known dickhead - an old man making a dated joke about torn jeans than a racist attack….but perception is reality.

Kennett’s apology is weak, but it’s definitely from a man that does not accept that he made a ‘racist joke’ - and I guess it’s hard for him to accept that is how it was perceived.

So I guess from here, the jungle drums start beating for Kennett’s head by Monday and Hawthorn have him fall on his sword in disgrace….or Jeffrey weathers another storm, sees out his time in the next couple of years anyway (or is it sooner?), and Cyril and Family are back at the club shortly there after.
But FFS let’s keep perception away from reality; what he said wasn’t racist! It can’t be twisted that way.

The airport joke isn’t racist. It just isn’t. It’s a dad joke. So Rioli’s wife being upset about that can’t be about racism in isolation. It was no doubt the tipping point though, as there were other issues obviously simmering that caused her to boil over.

What is highly problematic is the ‘keep quiet’ mentality when racist comments were heaped around. I don’t think any AFL club has come far at all when it comes to addressing these issues. It’s all pretty backward and isn’t going to change whilst there is a certain generation of players, coaches, staff etc involved in the game. It’ll really only be when the current generation grows older and starts filtering into those roles and leadership positions that it’s going to shift.

Scrapping indigenous round would help. It’s a piss take to try and display ‘respect’ to indigenous people when the system itself is so bent out of shape. It’s absolute tokenism.
It's difficult to tell whether Kennet's ripped jeans joke was racist without actually hearing how it was delivered and any of his actions leading up to it.
I believe Cyril said it was the last straw.

For example there's a difference between Mother Teresa making the comment and the Grand Wizard.

Isn't that how gaslighting works?
Being able to needle someone, but if the incidents were put on paper without context, the victim looks dramatic or hysterical
Offering some change to someone to mend a hole in their jeans doesn’t seem to be racist. Why can’t we just focus on that without gaslighting or perception etc?

The other issues? Absolutely. They are very big concerns for Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back