Kennett the Fashionista

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2004
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
49ers, Liverpool
A pretty damning article for Kennett and Hawthorn.

Caused Rioli to walk away from the club and looks like will take some effort to get him to return. He doubts he will come to the 10 year premiership reunion next year.

It confirms my view the AFL has a serious problem with racism despite the constant pontificating that the league does.
Also no surprise whatsoever the very club that kicked off the pile on that caused Adam Goodes to be racially vilified out the sport has had the racist element in their club finally blown wide open.
Hopefully now the bullshit excuses people came out with to defend their racial vilification of Goodes will now end.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

‘The Hawks president then placed his hands in his pockets and offered her - he claims as a joke - some loose change to buy thread to sew up the jeans.’

jeff’s a bit of a loose cannon

To be fair, that jeans episode reads more like Kennett being a dickhead than Kennett being racist.
It’s Jeff Kennett. Do you think he’d have pulled up a white WAG to say the same thing? Odds would be slim

To be fair, that jeans episode reads more like Kennett being a dickhead than Kennett being racist.
Its a weak example, that unfortunately people are going to jump on to say "oh that wasn't too bad". But it was the last straw, and Kennett has plenty of other public moments of innapropriate comments. Dinosaur should have been fired years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's also that word that a senior player said in 2013. I seriously haven't heard that word spoken since the 90's. It's disgusting and I'm surprised that player didn't get his head filled in.
There wasn't many indigenous players on their list in 2013 (never has been anytime to be honest).
Buddy left that year, is there more to it or am I jumping to conclusions.

It's also that word that a senior player said in 2013. I seriously haven't heard that word spoken since the 90's. It's disgusting and I'm surprised that player didn't get his head filled in.
There wasn't many indigenous players on their list in 2013 (never has been anytime to be honest).
Hill, Franklin, Rioli, Burgoyne. Franklin left in 2014 to get out of the Melbourne fishbowl and for a boatload of money.

So essentially after years of "just jokes", one "just a joke" comment was the final straw and now white Bigfooty posters are telling people who have dealt with "just a joke" racist comments for their entire lives they need to continue to put up with it...

It's just not the same as blokey banter.

I do see the merit in Kennett not being racist in his comments in that very situation, but I do also see why Indigenous people if they're unsure are going to be like "why would this situation be any different to all the other times racist people were racist"

This is why I hate Indigenous Round. For one week of the year it's a love fest, and then for the other 51 weeks it's business as usual being racist and not helping them to bridge the gap in living standards whilst fat greedy f***'s pillage their land for resources.

Bit like the welcome to country being blasted by all these companies at meetings etc.

"We pay respects to our Indigenous people"

And then they go s**t on Indigenous land, the climate etc all at the expense of profit.

A lot of saying and positive PR, not a lot of doing

Sad to read. Even if you say the joke itself isn't racist the "I'm sorry you got offended" and then speaking over the top of her shows Kennett is an autocratic a-hole liability for the club.

Claiming to have never 'unintentionally' disrespected first nations people is also a very blowhard bizarre claim which for me at least makes his whole thing come across as passive aggressive not fence mending. I don't think anyone can say they've never unintentionally offended someone, such an unnecessary exagerration.

I think that was the worst part of the whole article rather than the Kennett stuff

There were actually a few

Rioli, Franklin, Burgoyne, Hill, Anderson, Amos Frank and Derick Wanganeen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back