Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Something I’m not sure opposition fans are aware of is that Ken’s outlook on life/footy changed hugely after the death of Phil Walsh in 2015.

He was no longer the highly competitive, driven coach that was quite demanding of his players. In fairness, this is a natural and probably healthy response as a human being, but it hasn’t made for a premiership coach.

He may be a good bloke but he changed his priorities a while ago. He’s revered by opposition and the media as this knockabout bloke, perhaps rightly so, but Port fans have long known he doesn’t have the goods to win a premiership, and are understandably desperate to get a hold of the coach that does.

It should also be noted, in ten years of coaching, he has never once gone the umps after the game, even in a minor way. He has never stood up publicly for the champion Robbie Gray who has been officiated terribly over the years. Not sure I can think of a highly successful coach that doesn’t play that game. Another reason why he is widely popular in the industry but ultimately lacking. Easy to be well-liked when you’re harmless.

Last edited:

Time for a change I think it's been a bit overdue not sure on the president though he gives mixed feelings doesn't seem to make hard calls.

Interesting who would Port fans like as next coach ?.
I just want a thorough interview process. I want a coach that will empower the players to play with freedom and not overly choke up games.

A short list of blokes Id be happy with if the process determined they were the choice (in no order): Yze, Schofield, Caracella, Graham, Clarko, Simmo, Kingsley, Campo.

We have links to Kingsley and Schofield (ex players), Campo and Graham (sounded out last year) and obviously Clarko (Burgoyne, Burton, came from Port)

The only blokes I definitely dont want are those currently in the box with Ken, or similarly uncreative types like Lyon or Cameron.

If you force me to pick one bloke right now its probably Schofield marginally over Graham. I think we most likely end up with Kingsley or Clarko though, if we do move this year.

Think of the party when Ken Hinkley gets sacked, I swear to god it will rival the celebrations had when WW2 ended. Bells ringing from every building like when Thatcher died, sex and debauchery on the beautiful streets of Port Adelaide, INXS blaring from every corner: You Will Never Tear Us Apart!! Free Coopers and Nippys Ice Chocolate on tap, Toump Ass running naked down St Vincent street with a stolen spray-painted tarp declaring "Port Adelaide Football Club Forever!!!""

Whooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Something I’m not sure opposition fans are aware of is that Ken’s outlook on life/footy changed hugely after the death of Phil Walsh in 2015.

He was no longer the highly competitive, driven coach that was quite demanding of his players. In fairness, this is a natural and probably healthy response as a human being, but it hasn’t made for a premiership coach.

He may be a good bloke but he changed his priorities a while ago. He’s revered by opposition and the media as this knockabout bloke, perhaps rightly so, but Port fans have long known he doesn’t have the goods to win a premiership, and are understandably desperate to get a hold of the coach that does.

It should also be noted, in ten years of coaching, he has never once gone the umps after the game, even in a minor way. He has never stood up publicly for the champion Robbie Gray who has been officiated terribly over the years. Not sure I can think of a highly successful coach that doesn’t play that game. Another reason why he is widely popular in the industry but ultimately lacking. Easy to be well-liked when you’re harmless.
Exactly this.

No chinny Hinkley is gonsky :relieved:

Adam Kingsley the new man to take over.

Saw a clip of Hinkley's recent interview with (cant remember who) - and he stridently said he expected to be at PA next year and he's received assurances (and not that he needed them) - LOL.

I don't know if he's actually that arrogant or he's just projecting arrogance. Either way its not a good look. Plenty of coaches have been sacked a year before their contract ended, and many were fewer years into their tenure and doing better than Hinkley's currently performing.

It would be ludicrous if Hinkley was allowed to coach Port next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No chinny Hinkley is gonsky :relieved:

Adam Kingsley the new man to take over.

Don't like the idea of former players coaching the clubs they played for, it never ends well.

Port need to go for whoa for Adam Yze.

Yze is the next great untried coaching prospect imo

Robbie should’ve stayed on his feet more and stopped acting like a baby.

He’s weak hearted.

I hope port fans and admin will be very kind to him.

For modern fans and me alike the origin of modern port Adelaide can be traced back to his arrival.

That's why many people I know dub him the nickname uncle kendalf because he's a wizard that built it all

The calls of being a destination club, players loving the coach, etc... just reeks of a soft culture.

Boak's bio program on Fox Footy recenlty just highlighted the attitude the club has taken to make the players feel special and appreciated and less focussed on field results and success. The culture no longer reflects the creed the club has been driven on since the 1950's.
Isn't that the culture that the majority of successful teams since the 2010s have though? Having respect and love for your teammates and coach and then the rest falling into place because the players enjoy going to work and are feeling more relaxed.

I think ken's gone, being a very good coach for port, with a bit of luck the last two years he could have had the ultimate, I think he's first few years at the club were easily his best as a coach got a Mediocre group to prelim finals and pushed the Hawks in it.

He coached well with Richo, walshy and vossy as well. Reckon he's being off this year tactics wise, I think Rutten ends up at port. McVeigh, Hird and soloman had their onsite interview last week against the bombers and passed with flying colours, the bombers will bring those guys in, it will be a massive yes from their supporter base. Kenny heads off to gws

I think ken's gone, being a very good coach for port, with a bit of luck the last two years he could have had the ultimate, I think he's first few years at the club were easily his best as a coach got a Mediocre group to prelim finals and pushed the Hawks in it.

He coached well with Richo, walshy and vossy as well. Reckon he's being off this year tactics wise, I think Rutten ends up at port. McVeigh, Hird and soloman had their onsite interview last week against the bombers and passed with flying colours, the bombers will bring those guys in, it will be a massive yes from their supporter base. Kenny heads off to gws
A coach who finishes 10th or lower 40% of the time has been very good?

PAFC risk having a supporter backlash/boycott of attending games and buying memberships if they keep Kern on for another year (I think it's reached that stage)

The one thing they can have some hope for is GWS poaching him (with Clarko apparently set to chose the North coaching job)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back