Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

killtaker1993

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
I reckon he's in trouble - the suburban jungle drums are beating........

76142710-1b57-49e2-a0f5-1863dfce96fb-jpeg.1455753

David King today on radio

"shake hands, no ill feelings, you've done a good job with this football club. Got us off the canvas, we had a couple opportunities to win it we're going to miss the finals...(lots of waffle left out). [surmising as Hinkley] ...maybe it's a good opportunity for me to give you some clear air"

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
David King today on radio

"shake hands, no ill feelings, you've done a good job with this football club. Got us off the canvas, we had a couple opportunities to win it we're going to miss the finals...(lots of waffle left out). [surmising as Hinkley] ...maybe it's a good opportunity for me to give you some clear air"

He probably wants him as a cut price Clarko for North.

Sinnthesis

Hinkleyball
Nov 26, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its pretty clear if you just read the sign.
What part of sack Hinkley is so hard to comprehend?

Last edited:

ash17

Debutant
Oct 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Their problem is their forward line? Who looks after them? They are an absolute rabble. Their defence and mids aren't the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
16th in the comp for efficiency inside 50- Nathan Basset as forwards coach
They've fallen for the old 'get it in long to the big guy' trap.

They just bomb to Dixon constantly, and somehow think that this strategy will net them enough goals to consistently win games

It just doesn't.

It's almost like having a big key forward is a curse these days. So many coaches get sucked in to the failed and obsolete 'bomb it in' strategy.

incorrectdisposal

Senior List
Jul 25, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
16th in the comp for efficiency inside 50- Nathan Basset as forwards coach
210 AFL Games as a Defender and All Australian Defender... not my logical choice as a Forwards Coach!
To be fair to Power, their Assistant Coaching ranks have been pillaged in recent years and that isn't easy to replace.

Matthew Nicks was Asst & Snr Asst Coach from 2013-2018
Michael Voss was Asst Coach from 2015-2021
Jarrod Schofield was Asst Coach from 2019-2021
probably others I don't know about...

Vossy the biggest loss in the last 12 months, and look at the influence he's gone on to have at Carlton. Hindsight now tells me some of the run&gun of the Power midfield 2018-2021 had Vossy's fingerprints on it.

FourthTimeAround

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nightmare scenario for Port Adelaide fans, if every game went to the favourite except for PA v Coll next week.....

Rd 20 Geel d WB, BL d Rich, PA d Coll, GC d WC, St K d Haw
Rd 21 PA d Rich, Frem d WB, GC d Haw, Geel d St K
Rd 22 WB d GWS, Rich d Haw, PA d Ess, Geel d GC, Bris d St K
Rd 23 Rich d Ess, WB d Haw, GC d Nth, PA d Adel, Syd d St K

Every match margin of 4 goals

Final H&A ladder
WB ahead of PA on 48 by 0.2%
Rich 46
GC, St K 44

Port Adelaide don't make finals, but Kochie makes a case for Ken to stay on.

Absolute nightmare.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually think Ken is a decent coach. The Port list has overachieved a little while he was coaching IMO. Moreso in the H&A season and then they get found out in the finals.

Not this year obviously.

Feel like it's time for a change though
I agree completely. The list has always felt a bit meh and he's done better than what I would've predicted each year.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Over his 10 year tenure, he has a winning % against the top 4 teams of something like 25%. That increases slightly to something around 35-40% against top 8 teams.

In 10 years we have changed our list profile multiple times, changed assistants and changed areas of our game style. However one thing has always remained constant, we never consistently can beat the top sides which is needed come finals.

If over a 10 year period a successful system cannot be developed to compete regularly against the best, clearly its time to change the one thing that has been a constant through that whole period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back