Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Problem is that the Port board does not represent the members. 8 out of 10 board seats, including Chairman Koch, are appointed by the AFL and answerable to them. The interest of the AFL is keeping Port stable and not taking any risks. Hovering between 3rd and 11th for 10 years is exactly what the AFL want from Port.

Even under those conditions it is clear that Hinkley is past use-by and keeping him on next year would be damaging to crowds and membership numbers, so I think (hope) the board will act. But the real underlying problem here is that Port members don't actually get proper representation in the running of their club.
Genuine question - does any club?

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Genuine question - does any club?
Short answer: all Victorian clubs and Brisbane have completely member elected boards. WA clubs controlled by WAFC, and then the two newest expansion clubs plus Port, Adelaide and Sydney are controlled by AFL. Of those 5, I believe only Port and Adelaide don't have a roadmap to eventually become member controlled.

Long answer: watch this video...

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Short answer: all Victorian clubs and Brisbane have completely member elected boards. WA clubs controlled by WAFC, and then the two newest expansion clubs plus Port, Adelaide and Sydney are controlled by AFL. Of those 5, I believe only Port and Adelaide don't have a roadmap to eventually become member controlled.

Long answer: watch this video...

Crows being AFL controlled is bizarre but shows how well SANFL screwed over the AFL teams in SA.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
I think it's Hinkley that needs to decide, if he has offers coming in from GWS and or North he'd have to consider taking them this off season, realistically he'll only have one more year at Port why not sure up your Job security with another club and get a fresh start.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I think it's Hinkley that needs to decide, if he has offers coming in from GWS and or North he'd have to consider taking them this off season, realistically he'll only have one more year at Port why not sure up your Job security with another club and get a fresh start.
Why would Hinkley take the north coaching job? North will finish bottom four at least another 2-3 seasons before gradual improvement.

Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why would Hinkley take the north coaching job? North will finish bottom four at least another 2-3 seasons before gradual improvement.
Because he wants to be a career coach not a winner.
He’s stated he never wants to coach final year of contract because he coaches better without distraction.
Which is quite contrary to normal.
Like American house reps don’t vote for banning guns their job is more important then making a difference.
If someone offered him a 3 year deal now he’d bite their hand off.
He’s 55 he would be thinking if I can squeeze another $4mil out the of the system he can retire or casual part time for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
Because he wants to be a career coach not a winner.
He’s stated he never wants to coach final year of contract because he coaches better without distraction.
Which is quite contrary to normal.
Like American house reps don’t vote for banning guns their job is more important then making a difference.
If someone offered him a 3 year deal now he’d bite their hand off.
He’s 55 he would be thinking if I can squeeze another $4mil out the of the system he can retire or casual part time for the rest of his life.
Nailed it.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The bitterness and hate for a long term (and fairly successful) coach is astounding. Maybe you don't rate him fair enough (not sure I do), but apparently he is Darth Hinkley who only coaches so he can bleed Port for money and ruin the development of all their HoF standard players.

And get free Coke Zero.

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The bitterness and hate for a long term (and fairly successful) coach is astounding. Maybe you don't rate him fair enough (not sure I do), but apparently he is Darth Hinkley who only coaches so he can bleed Port for money and ruin the development of all their HoF standard players.

And get free Coke Zero.
How is 3 finals wins in 10 years “fairly successful”? Coaches are supposed to take you to a premiership. It’s been clear for a while now that’s not within Ken’s abilities.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
How is 3 finals wins in 10 years “fairly successful”? Coaches are supposed to take you to a premiership. It’s been clear for a while now that’s not within Ken’s abilities.

Considering where the club was when he started he has been fairly successful. Not denying he seems to be short of being a premiership coach, although I question if he has ever had a premiership list.

Just noting the amazing hostility and projection that seems to be happening here ie Darth Ken is trying to sabotage the Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jakksynn

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Considering where the club was when he started he has been fairly successful. Not denying he seems to be short of being a premiership coach, although I question if he has ever had a premiership list.

Just noting the amazing hostility and projection that seems to be happening here ie Darth Ken is trying to sabotage the Power.
Considering he’s been there 10 years and turned over the list 3 times now the fact we still don’t have a premiership quality list falls squarely at his feet. The hostility comes from the years of frustration. The writing was on the wall in 2016. 6 years later and we’re right where we were then.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Considering he’s been there 10 years and turned over the list 3 times now the fact we still don’t have a premiership quality list falls squarely at his feet. The hostility comes from the years of frustration. The writing was on the wall in 2016. 6 years later and we’re right where we were then.

Does the Port coach do the list management? Genuine question, the Geelong coach has some say but it isn't his job.

carnthemaggies

Team Captain
Jun 25, 2015
Semaphore
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes - it might be difficult to understand the angst, but for many port supporters weve been watching the team lose key matches in very similar ways for very similar reasons. Like 5 or 6 years of frustration regarding lack of structure, skill improvement around forward play etc. Plus all of the talking up of oppositions, lack of accountability and response to last years prelim failure - people are either hostile, despondent or detached and cynical. And these feelings are aimed towards the club too because there doesn't seem to be a shared understanding or independent evaluation of these coaching issues.

99cents

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2011
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Geelong Cats
Nearly 18 years since Port's flag.
Officially becomes a drought as of September 2023.

Would prefer Kenny to Mcveigh at the Giants though

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Probably a perfect storm scenario too. The club finally invested in a decent football department, fitness coach and of course Ken. We also had pool of talent there that showed they were competitive. Ken got two good years out this group before it turned to s**t. Now our football department is average at best and god knows who is managing our unfit players?

Every club in the history of sport has gone through a difficult period at the bottom of the table at one point or another. I don't know why more is made of our two seasons near the bottom of the ladder (where we didn't even claim a wooden spoon) than any other team. Going on your theory of "where the club was" and being indebted to the coach who gave them a spike then Terry Wallace should still be in charge at Footscray.

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AFL/VFL record holder for most games coached at one club without making a grand final (let alone winning a flag).

No one in the history of the game has had more chances at one club then Ken Hinkley.

Pat on the back for past efforts but you’ve had your opportunities and couldn’t get it done. Time for a new voice.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Not trying to be a dick but do you consider shitting the bed in two consecutive prelims his fault? Was it game plan, lack of on field leadership, what does a Port fan consider it to have been?

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Where was the club? We had 2 s**t years. Most clubs have had 2 s**t years at some point, even if you have to go back a decade or two.

The off field stuff was not fixed by ken.

Most port fans give him credit for 2013-14, sure. That was 8 years ago.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Nearly 18 years since Port's flag.
Officially becomes a drought as of September 2023.

Would prefer Kenny to Mcveigh at the Giants though
Why is it officially a drought in 2023?

Why isnt it a drought now? What am i missing

Back