Opinion Kenny's gold pass club

Remove this Banner Ad

A great decade, technological revolution, financial revolution, medical break throughs, opening up of world economy and destroying trade barriers, hundreds of millions of people lifted out of abject poverty, when food was still food not industrial food, housing was affordable, uni education was free, a reasonable level of personal debt, people didn't have anxiety complexes that they had to have everything yesterday and the best thing was the end of the cold war and you didn't have to worry about 400 million people being blown up over night by thermo nuclear weapons.

And the politicans were more interesting than this bland lot we have today who can't do things without checking a bloody opinion poll and don't have the ability to do much original thinking.
You must be from my generation, when kids had respect.

Dunno, on my morning run I:

- Got swooped by birds several times
- Got chased by a dog
- Almost hit by a car
- Had some housewife tell me she loved me
- Had an old lady spray her hose at me

Good Friday, my ass!
Next time you go for a run don't forget to put your shorts on.
images

Ken knows his job is on the line this year so he is backing experience to get the job done for him rather than putting in a stack of young players that may give him up and down performances. He is coaching for the now not the future because he knows that if the now doesn't go well he won't be part of the future anyway.

Ken knows his job is on the line this year so he is backing experience to get the job done for him rather than putting in a stack of young players that may give him up and down performances. He is coaching for the now not the future because he knows that if the now doesn't go well he won't be part of the future anyway.

If your career depends on getting Matt White in who hasn't played a full game in over 12 months, then you might as well walk out the door.

White has the experience necessary where playing him at the Magpies isn't going to prove anything. He's been in the AFL system for his entire career and knows what is required defensively in our systems since 2014, having done almost every preseason.

Eddy has done one preseason at an AFL club, has no idea about our systems and is costing us goals. I'd be willing to bet that almost every single goal that was scored from the backlines by Adelaide came down Eddy's wing when he was on the field because he just doesn't have the fitness base required to play the style of game we want to play at the moment. He might have one elite game in him every so often when he has sufficiently recuperated.

Seems like a yell at cloud type argument. Aside from perhaps Impey I don't see another player on our list who offers the same sort of skillset White does with his pace and evasiveness down the wings. Hence it should be a complaint about the structure we want to go into games with rather than the usual populist bash White and Monfries thing that's become prevalent. I'm not even sure how Gus was dragged into this, he obviously hasn't been near selection for over a year and is currently injured. When you're relying on a hypothetical to form half of your evidence, I think it's a pretty tenous concept.

Westhoff might be the only player who it may be argued that he seems to play regardless of form. And even then it's difficult to evaluate if we are judging him of the lens of what he should be rather than whether an alternative can bring more to the side. Right now, it's probably Hoff v Ah Chee and whilst I like Brendan and think there's a potential future for him he's hardly conclusively taken his opportunities in the senior side, nor smashed down the selection door in the SANFL. I wouldn't have much of a problem if Hoff got a game or two in the reserves to send him a message, but at the end of the day we're a better chance of winning with him in the side.

White has the experience necessary where playing him at the Magpies isn't going to prove anything. He's been in the AFL system for his entire career and knows what is required defensively in our systems since 2014, having done almost every preseason.

Eddy has done one preseason at an AFL club, has no idea about our systems and is costing us goals. I'd be willing to bet that almost every single goal that was scored from the backlines by Adelaide came down Eddy's wing when he was on the field because he just doesn't have the fitness base required to play the style of game we want to play at the moment. He might have one elite game in him every so often when he has sufficiently recuperated.

Agreed. White has the experience and was crucial to our past success. Same with Gus. Eddy may not have the fitness or nous for AFL.

However, have Gus and White got the match fitness? Will more SANFL get Eddy up to speed? If our preseason was built around 2 or 3 key forwards, is it smart to revert to 1? If Eddy, Howard, Marshall and Frampton weren't ready, why did we create a structure that relied on them?

More broadly, Ken has given some gold passes but they have been based around a need. Ie, S.Gray as a defensive forward because we are light on in this area or Kane Mitchell as an outside mid because we had no one else. That being said, some of Ken's calls have been baffling, this week especially.

Seems like a yell at cloud type argument. Aside from perhaps Impey I don't see another player on our list who offers the same sort of skillset White does with his pace and evasiveness down the wings. Hence it should be a complaint about the structure we want to go into games with rather than the usual populist bash White and Monfries thing that's become prevalent. I'm not even sure how Gus was dragged into this, he obviously hasn't been near selection for over a year and is currently injured. When you're relying on a hypothetical to form half of your evidence, I think it's a pretty tenous concept.

Westhoff might be the only player who it may be argued that he seems to play regardless of form. And even then it's difficult to evaluate if we are judging him of the lens of what he should be rather than whether an alternative can bring more to the side. Right now, it's probably Hoff v Ah Chee and whilst I like Brendan and think there's a potential future for him he's hardly conclusively taken his opportunities in the senior side, nor smashed down the selection door in the SANFL. I wouldn't have much of a problem if Hoff got a game or two in the reserves to send him a message, but at the end of the day we're a better chance of winning with him in the side.

I think the question is more whether White or Gus have match fitness. If they are at their best they are still best 22 for me and add needed experience and pace.

There are always players who come in when fit as they are great players, Robbie Gray, Boak, etc. Pittard's selection is in this category. Comes of a cracking season and reasonable preseason until his injury.

White and Gus haven't played for a year and haven't shown anything to suggest they are fit, in form or near their best, which as I mentioned offers the team a lot. Their 2015s were indifferent also.

Playing White in the maggies will prove if he still has the goods to play AFL and is in good match form. No use having experience if you're playing like sh*t. Guess Tredrea should still be playing, could have used his experience these last few years hey!
Did Eddy do your missus?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the question is more whether White or Gus have match fitness. If they are at their best they are still best 22 for me and add needed experience and pace....
Bingo!! Fully fit they are in our best 22. No ifs or butts about it.

Broadbent missed a chunk of the preseason, didn't play in the JLT or a maggies trial, was rushed back into the side for the swans, played well, but has struggled since. He couldn't keep up with Lynch last week.

White's one true weapon is his blistering pace and his repeat efforts. I didn't see any of that down at Noarlunga or in the trial at Alberton. Its why I reckon he is being picked on reputation not form.

Bingo!! Fully fit they are in our best 22. No ifs or butts about it.

Broadbent missed a chunk of the preseason, didn't play in the JLT or a maggies trial, was rushed back into the side for the swans, played well, but has struggled since. He couldn't keep up with Lynch last week.

White's one true weapon is his blistering pace and his repeat efforts. I didn't see any of that down at Noarlunga or in the trial at Alberton. Its why I reckon he is being picked on reputation not form.

That is a better argument, but again comes back to who better than White can fulfill the role that our coaches (rightly or wrongly) perceive to be critical to the success of the team structure.

That is a better argument, but again comes back to who better than White can fulfill the role that our coaches (rightly or wrongly) perceive to be critical to the success of the team structure.

It sets up the argument Choco got hammered for, that 80% fit X is better than 100% fit Y.

See if he gets 2 kicks 1 handball and 2 tackles and bugger all pressure acts and we lose by a decent margin does he stay in the side? Is the argument he needed the run? What about if we win, does he get the luxury to be carried?

You make a good point. I guess we have to wonder why a guy who struggled in 2015 and wasn't sited in 2016 remains crucial to our game plan and why we haven't built enough depth in this position.

Have a look at Bulldogs. Drop premiership players when out of form. And look at them come back tonight against Roos....totally committed to the team and focusing on getting the team across the line. We would have lost to the Roos by 5 goals that game.

Have a look at Bulldogs. Drop premiership players when out of form. And look at them come back tonight against Roos....totally committed to the team and focusing on getting the team across the line. We would have lost to the Roos by 5 goals that game.

LOOOOOOL.

We would have completely obliterated North Melbourne in that game. The Dogs lost to a side that we beat the week before by 89 points.

LOOOOOOL.

We would have completely obliterated North Melbourne in that game. The Dogs lost to a side that we beat the week before by 89 points.

My slightly crazy call for the year is that the Bulldogs will still miss the 8. I thought there'd be a hangover and despite early wins I'm still not all that impressed with them.

My slightly crazy call for the year is that the Bulldogs will still miss the 8. I thought there'd be a hangover and despite early wins I'm still not all that impressed with them.

I was never that impressed with them. Never seen a group prosper so much due to the draw and umpires. They're still the reigning premier though and to not rate them as such would be to our detriment.

Sent from mTalk

I was never that impressed with them. Never seen a group prosper so much due to the draw and umpires. They're still the reigning premier though and to not rate them as such would be to our detriment.

Sent from mTalk

That was the biggest load of bullshit though. Look they did well to make it past West Xoast and Howathorn but after that they got a serious ride. If only we could be so lucky i.e. Jonas not HTB against the Hawks in '14 f@#k me dead we would've been premiers had it not been for that bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back