Kent Kingsley: Unlucky?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kingsley could play. At times. And his best was pretty good. At times. But after the 8 goal haul against North in early 2006, his confidence just evaporated completely. Certainly wasn't terrible - you don't kick 57 goals in a season unless you can play - but it was the right decision to move him on.
It was odd that it appeared he lost confidence after kicking a big bag. He only played the week after vs Hawks, and was either dropped/injured for a few weeks after that.

Kent and Henry could have been the 'brangelina' of the FF/CHF world in 2005.

Kent had the looks and the goals, Hank had the hands and lead-up play.

What went wrong?

I read in the weekend paper that Geelongs other key forward at that time David Haynes - Geelong used - it was either pick 16 or pick 20 - and the Eagles used that pick to get Sam Butler - no superstar but played a hell of alot more games than Haynes

The Lions won 3 flags and had alot of top players - but they took allnight to beat Geel in that PF - and Geelongs 2 key forwards were Kingsley and Haynes - that puts the slows on the Lions when rating them i reckon

Harsh call on the Lions there. They had a few wounded warriors and were on their way to a fourth straight final even though they were pretty cooked by this stage. The Lions were more crash bash than later great teams too so once Voss started slowing down in particular they appeared as mere mortals. Our KP win over them earlier that year was a real turning point over a power unit that dominated us for years.

As much as my mentioning of Kingsley has brought up painful memories for many people, the name 'Playfair' has brought back one particularly sour one for me.

To me he will forever be the guy who cost us a streak of 28 consecutive wins.

It was round 21 against Port at KP in 2007, we had rallied from a fairly big deficit as I recall, and led with about 20 seconds to go and after a bit of a scramble for the ball at our right half back area, Playfair took possession, and as you do when youre in defence with no time left on the clock, he looked around for an option like it was midway through the first term.

Go barreled from behind, coughed it up, Cassisi kicked a goal from the boundary and out streak was capped at 15.

Never played for us again, and Sydney soon figured out why

As much as my mentioning of Kingsley has brought up painful memories for many people, the name 'Playfair' has brought back one particularly sour one for me.

To me he will forever be the guy who cost us a streak of 28 consecutive wins.

It was round 21 against Port at KP in 2007, we had rallied from a fairly big deficit as I recall, and led with about 20 seconds to go and after a bit of a scramble for the ball at our right half back area, Playfair took possession, and as you do when youre in defence with no time left on the clock, he looked around for an option like it was midway through the first term.

Go barreled from behind, coughed it up, Cassisi kicked a goal from the boundary and out streak was capped at 15.

Never played for us again, and Sydney soon figured out why
OR Playfair helped us to have the 'loss we had to have' so we didn't become complacent going into Finals.

Thanks for 2007, Hank!

Well I always thought the fact Kingsley got a game in our team was a reflection that we weren't a great side.

At the time I often said we would never win a flag whilst Kingsley is still in the team.

In hindsight I think we still wouldve won in 07 but it was more the fact that I thought he personified the fact we weren't a great team.

I don't know if Kent now has more money than his brother. I know Kent has done well, but I still doubt it.
But I remember Kent showing me pics of his brother on Elle's yacht in majorca.

Now THAT was a job to die for.
Personal assistant to Elle? Where do I sign?

Well I always thought the fact Kingsley got a game in our team was a reflection that we weren't a great side.

At the time I often said we would never win a flag whilst Kingsley is still in the team.

In hindsight I think we still wouldve won in 07 but it was more the fact that I thought he personified the fact we weren't a great team.
A factual argument

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw him towel up dustin fletcher on numerous occasions ... Wasn't that bad a player when he was on, could hit ball at pace on the lead

They were s**t.

Playfair was ok til he broke his jaw and was never the same after. Better than matt mccarthy at least. Kingsley was a good player but seemed to lose confidence and lose his way.

Playfair was ok til he broke his jaw and was never the same after. Better than matt mccarthy at least. Kingsley was a good player but seemed to lose confidence and lose his way.

They were ok compared to the competition we had at the time.
For a Premiership aspirant they were the anchors holding us down (among others, and among other "issues").

DMensch.gif

Didn't cop it as much as this guy... Nobody could ever live up to Ablett/Brownless/Stoneham. We were spoiled with ridiculous cricket scores week in, week out for a very long time.

Im impressed people still remember the Krew
Once a member, always a member.

I see you have been around on the forum a bit this season too. Fancy breathing some life back into 'Voice of the Outer?'

Last edited:
Didn't Kingsley bang on about how much more professional/hard at it Richmond were than Geelong in the '07 preseason? Things went south for him from there...

Had to be moved on for us to improve IMO. Would we have won the 2007 premiership if Kingsley was still our main target up forward?

2006 was a disaster, changes had to be made, honest sessions done, and everything worked out for the better. Was he unlucky? Maybe, but he was never upto it.
I recall maybe in his last year he played HFF a few times and knocked up lots of possies. So the assertion that he was a one trick pony is not quite right I think.

His kicking was often s**t, but I always thought he was a solid contributor and much better than most fans gave him credit for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back