Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
The Magpies have started the search for their next netball head coach after foundation boss Kristy Keppich-Birrell announced she will step down at the end of the season.

Keppich-Birrell led the team to a preliminary final in the inaugural season of Super Netball last year but despite a highly-touted lineup the Magpies have not won enough games this season to make the finals.

The Magpies were not far off the pace but some close losses and the difficulty integrating Diamonds players back into the side after the Commonwealth Games contributed to their trying season.

There will be at least one new position to fill next season with star defender Sharni Layton retiring from netball.

Keppich-Birrell said she was proud to have helped start the Magpies team.

“We wrote the first pages of what I am certain will be a long and successful history. It was all new and such a personal and professional privilege.

“I want to thank my players, who came together from all over the country at relatively short notice and gave all that they had.

“I owe much to the staff and I want to thank Collingwood for embracing netball, for giving some of the finest female athletes in this country a new platform for their amazing talents.

“I walk away wishing this team and club all the very best and will be forever grateful for the opportunity to coach at the top level at this pivotal time in women’s sport.”

Collingwood chief executive Mark Anderson said Keppich-Birrell added a lot to the Magpies during her tenure.

“As the inaugural coach, Kristy should be proud of the important role she played in establishing the team,” Anderson said.

“She will be forever recognised as the first Magpies Netball coach, someone who helped shape a future we hope and plan will be very successful.”

The Magpies said they have commenced their search for a new coach for the 2019 season.

They play their final home game of the season against GWS Giants at Hisense Arena on Sunday at 3pm then play their last game of 2018 against Queensland Firebirds in Brisbane next Saturday.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/net...-keppich-birrell-departs-20180726-p4ztvb.html

Shae Brown and Erin Bell both gone?
MJ, vixens shooter, acl
Yes, it was announced earlier this week that Shae and Erin are both retiring at seasons end.

This means we are looking to fill at least 3 positions on the list, and I would be surprised if Teague-Neeld keeps her spot on the list. She’s been woeful this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back