uxwjvrd.jpg

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I didn't post in this thread but that 4 year contract was a good idea at the time and was reflective of the football we were playing given the state of the list. I have no problems with the praise at the time.

The subsequent contract extension in 2017 is the issue.

What I find forensically interesting is the date of the OP - 26 March 2015 (home & away season already started, bit late to be extending a coach methinks, under normal circumstances, more like an afterthought).

Twelve days earlier - 14 March 2015 - Our Ken sat under a shady tree at Albury, arms crossed, savage glare hidden by sunnies, talking to nobody, coaching nothing ... ... ... while something was going on behind the scenes.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Great news :thumbsu:

Kern :hearts::hearts:
In March 2015 I thought it was great news that we had extended Hinkley's contract. He had got us to a prelim and the future looked bright. A few tweaks and we would be a genuine contender.

How quickly it became evident that Hinkley didn't understand what he was doing. He had done things that worked but he didn't actually understand what had worked and what hadn't. He'd gotten lucky. The tweaks he implemented didn't improve us, they made us worse. We missed the finals in 2015 and have only played in one final, for a loss, since his initial contract extension.

So he we are in 2019 hoping that he might finally be able to work out what is required to make us a genuine contender. :(

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In March 2015 I thought it was great news that we had extended Hinkley's contract. He had got us to a prelim and the future looked bright. A few tweaks and we would be a genuine contender.

How quickly it became evident that Hinkley didn't understand what he was doing. He had done things that worked but he didn't actually understand what had worked and what hadn't. He'd gotten lucky. The tweaks he implemented didn't improve us, they made us worse. We missed the finals in 2015 and have only played in one final, for a loss, since his initial contract extension.

So he we are in 2019 hoping that he might finally be able to work out what is required to make us a genuine contender. :(
If he ain't got it by now, he ain't getting it.

The Burger King

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Unlucky
  • 2013 AFL season, took a shambles of a club to the Semi Finals.
  • 2014 AFL season, took the club to within a kick of a Grand Final.
  • 2015 AFL season, would've made finals but for the Walsh Showdown. Most years record would make finals.
  • 2016 AFL season, Ryder and Monfries out for year, Lobbe out for bulk of year.
  • 2017 AFL season, reached Finals and would've progressed but for poor kicking and a ducking free.
  • 2018 AFL season, derailed by consecutive close losses against premier and Crows either of which could've gone the other way through umpire interpretation. Cleaned out Wingard and Polec. Record would usually make finals.
  • The thing about luck is that it will eventually go your way.
During this time
  • Lost assistant coaches.
  • Maintained a percentage above 100% every season.
  • Rebuilt a list.
  • Attracted talent like never before in the clubs history.
This year
  • Wins against Geelong, Adelaide and West Coast with one of the youngest lists in the league.
What happens if he leaves?
  • He takes players with him.
What we should be doing?
  • Putting pressure on David Koch for damaging our clubs brand.

Back