Unsolved Kerryn Tate 1979 - Murder - Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Debra Joy Donnachy - missing 1992 - body found 2004 - Karragullen - husband became a suspect in the disappearance, but was killed in a vehicle accident the day after police interviewed him in relation to his missing person report on his wife.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Darylyn Ugle was also found burnt, but I can't find anything about how she was murdered. In fact there is very little info about her.
She was found on a burnt out tree stump, but as far as I know she wasn’t actually burnt.

Darylyn Ugle was most likely killed by Donald Morey. Around the same time he attacked another street based sex worker; she escaped and he was convicted of her attempted murder. Darylyn’s body was found near his childhood home, I think. Police always regarded Morey as the prime suspect.

While we're on burning, Deborah Anderson was burnt in her car at the Bottle-O in Middle Swan, although I highly doubt there's any connection.

With regard to GreyCrow's bushfire theory, I think at least one of the newspaper articles screenshotted or another I read on Trove made mention of the fact that at least one small aircraft radioed in a large-ish fire around the Karragullen area just after 6pm, which corresponds with the time Kerryn's watch stopped. It sounds like it might not have been just a small contained fire.

By all accounts, the scene was something like Kerryn's body draped over a small tree with evidence the killer had piled grass and twigs around the outside to build the pyre. In the middle of summer I could see that area going up pretty quickly. I think the article mentions the fire burned a decent size area around Boulder Rock and it was only once the fire was out that they were looking for the ignition source and found Kerryn. Although I think the killer messed up slightly cause wherever they left the block of wood and the yellow sheet was in a spot where the fire didn't burn

She was found on a burnt out tree stump, but as far as I know she wasn’t actually burnt.

Darylyn Ugle was most likely killed by Donald Morey. Around the same time he attacked another street based sex worker; she escaped and he was convicted of her attempted murder. Darylyn’s body was found near his childhood home, I think. Police always regarded Morey as the prime suspect.
thanks knew there was something

thanks knew there was something
Yes, I don’t think police have bothered with much reporting over the years because of their belief that Morey was responsible. They just didn’t have the evidence to actually charge him. I don’t think this is a case like LW, either. I think Morey was responsible given the timing, location and the reports of him being a concern by multiple sex workers.

Actually, on that point, I think there’s a fair likelihood that hitchhikers and street based sex workers could be targeted by the same types of people: it provides the same opportunity for ease of abduction. Not entirely sure that is applicable here, but maybe.

It's so long ago, there's a good chance that the male DNA is that of someone now deceased.

'Kerryn Tate: Cold case detectives probing 44-year-old homicide to identify source of male DNA'

'Wed, 5 July 2023 4:36PM
'...
Det-Sen. Sgt Potter said that the DNA profile had been run through databases both nationally and internationally but it was yet to yield a match.
The development comes just weeks after the State Government increased the reward for information about the case to $1 million.
Det-Sen. Sgt Potter said the increased reward had not yet resulted in new lines of inquiry.
Det-Sen. Sgt Potter said police were particularly keen to speak to anyone who knew Ms Tate in 1978 or 1979 or who may have given Ms Tate a lift to Karragullen.

“Quite frankly, someone in our community knows what happened to Kerryn,” he said.

“We are asking anyone, if they do suspect somebody who may have something to do with what happened to Kerryn to let us know, because by DNA comparison that will assist the investigation or eliminate that person as a suspect or having any involvement at all.”

... Suspicion has fallen on serial killer couple Catherine and David Birnie over the years in relation to Ms Western’s death, however the case remains unsolved.

... Anyone with information about Ms Tate’s death is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.'

"Rumours her murder was linked to witchcraft were rejected by detectives at the time, but have remained prominent among online cold case sleuths trying to crack the case."

I seem to recall seeing something recently about a stolen trailer full of musical stage show items, and a number of items from this trailer appeared around KT body. The trailer was apparently stolen a month or so prior. Could it be that KT was transported to the dump site in the trailer, and the items from the trailer were scattered around the fire site as the person dumping the body looked for combustible items to start the fire with. the trailer was apparently pinched from somewhere near karragullen iirc?

If this is true then the question is how did KT end up dead in the trailer, and how did she meet up with the person that had the trailer?

Does anyone know if there was ever a detailed scrutiny of the house where she was housesitting in karragullen? was there any way to know if she went there before being murdered? (keys purse etc on the bench?) anything out of place at the house like an intruder might of been there? any signs of a possible struggle?

How did she get to Karragullen? She was dropped off at 11am on Saturday morning somewhere else, has anyone come forward to say they saw her hitch hiking or gave her a lift?

I seem to recall seeing something recently about a stolen trailer full of musical stage show items, and a number of items from this trailer appeared around KT body. The trailer was apparently stolen a month or so prior. Could it be that KT was transported to the dump site in the trailer, and the items from the trailer were scattered around the fire site as the person dumping the body looked for combustible items to start the fire with. the trailer was apparently pinched from somewhere near karragullen iirc?

If this is true then the question is how did KT end up dead in the trailer, and how did she meet up with the person that had the trailer?

Does anyone know if there was ever a detailed scrutiny of the house where she was housesitting in karragullen? was there any way to know if she went there before being murdered? (keys purse etc on the bench?) anything out of place at the house like an intruder might of been there? any signs of a possible struggle?

How did she get to Karragullen? She was dropped off at 11am on Saturday morning somewhere else, has anyone come forward to say they saw her hitch hiking or gave her a lift?
I dont recall any information regarding the stolen trailer or these items being found near KT's body. This is odd, the mind boggles as to how she could be connected to this trailer? I wouldn't think that the person who stole it would just be towing it around the place? Maybe it was at this property? Was the trailer ever found? Need to find the news article?
' ....At 6pm forestry officers noticed a fire in bush land near the property, with Tate’s beaten body discovered the next morning burnt in a wooden funeral pyre....'
I also have not read before that she was found near the property she was house sitting.
Badly beaten? but burnt?
Was she beaten to death? This usually means there was a lot of rage in the perpetrator. Had she upset some one she knew?
Maybe she did make it to the property? I too wonder if the property was searched 'properly' ??

I dont recall any information regarding the stolen trailer or these items being found near KT's body. This is odd, the mind boggles as to how she could be connected to this trailer? I wouldn't think that the person who stole it would just be towing it around the place? Maybe it was at this property? Was the trailer ever found? Need to find the news article?
' ....At 6pm forestry officers noticed a fire in bush land near the property, with Tate’s beaten body discovered the next morning burnt in a wooden funeral pyre....'
I also have not read before that she was found near the property she was house sitting.
Badly beaten? but burnt?
Was she beaten to death? This usually means there was a lot of rage in the perpetrator. Had she upset some one she knew?
Maybe she did make it to the property? I too wonder if the property was searched 'properly' ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Badly beaten? but burnt?
not sure how close the house sitting house was to the location where the body was found. would anyone else have these details? i just noticed the details that she was house sitting in karragullen, the same area where the body was found.

from what I read in an article the police stressed she was badly beaten, and was not alive when burnt. I'm guessing the fire was to conceal evidence. so did she make it to the karragullen house?

not sure how close the house sitting house was to the location where the body was found. would anyone else have these details? i just noticed the details that she was house sitting in karragullen, the same area where the body was found.

from what I read in an article the police stressed she was badly beaten, and was not alive when burnt. I'm guessing the fire was to conceal evidence. so did she make it to the karragullen house?
I think she did make it to the Karragullen house and thats where something went horribly wrong. Why else would she be murdered and left so close to the place where she was house sitting?

I think she did make it to the Karragullen house and thats where something went horribly wrong. Why else would she be murdered and left so close to the place where she was house sitting?

quite possible. if the trailer and musical item claim above is true then there are quite a few coincidences of location.

Basically items from a trailer stolen in Karragullen found around a Karragullen located dead body of a Karragullen house sitter.

quite possible. if the trailer and musical item claim above is true then there are quite a few coincidences of location.

Basically items from a trailer stolen in Karragullen found around a Karragullen located dead body of a Karragullen house sitter.
I think there are likely two option here regarding the stolen trailer-
1. Contents of trailer were dumped in the bush before KT was murdered and it is just a coincidence KT was left there. (most likely)
2. Contents of trailer were dumper there, as trailer was used to transport KT there. (unlikely)
any other ideas??

I think there are likely two option here regarding the stolen trailer-
1. Contents of trailer were dumped in the bush before KT was murdered and it is just a coincidence KT was left there. (most likely)
2. Contents of trailer were dumper there, as trailer was used to transport KT there. (unlikely)
any other ideas??
I like the first one

I could see where the same person dumped both ie a known spot to them (at different times)

Thanks for the info re those found in the Karragullen area. I couldn’t have said who was found there and in what condition, just that it has popped up in a lot of murders over the years. The fact that she was burned, which seems to have been unique in that area to her, suggests to me it’s also a unique perpetrator. I will have to note if I come across other cases of bodies being burned. I’m sure there have been - but around the same time.

The burning is an interesting element to me because I would have thought - with my very limited understanding of these things - that burning indicated a lack of remorse and a desire simply to hide evidence. That suggests vicious and/or impersonal and/or randomn to me rather than someone who just killed someone and panicked. I am sure there are exceptions, though, and certainly your comments about the motorcycle element may explain it.

I’ll put something in here that is not connected, but maybe just food for thought on the burning. Elizabeth Henry was murdered in Queensland in 1998 and her body was burned (there is some debate about whether the burning occurred as part of torture while she was alive, or after she was dead). Her family believe she was in the process of exposing a snuff film ring. Going back on my original comment about the fact that the occult connection was a red herring, I wonder if Kerryn was about to expose something?

Excuse the leaping around and brainstorming. It’s such a weird one with such limited information I’m just trying to look at it from all angles.
I think you're onto something. I personally think wark is responsible for this one and a whole lot more. Why he has always seemed to slip through the system I'm not sure but I think he maybe Part of a larger group of??personally knew him an gave evidence for Hayley as when I was 17 he offered me to live on his property and was overly keen ( im thankful i refusedthe offer). He told me he had travelled from Western Australia with his dog miss piggy spreading ashes of his friend along the way? I'm familiar with the house he lived in in millaa millaa and it had a large fireplace that stood out. He also was involved with a man in the town who was charged with beastiality amongst other charges. Frank would hire the man's wife off him to do asexually sadistic things. He was not alone . He had friends around him. Bikies? I had a feeling they were part of a bigger scheme of things and had friends in places that were protecting them.

I think you're onto something. I personally think wark is responsible for this one and a whole lot more. Why he has always seemed to slip through the system I'm not sure but I think he maybe Part of a larger group of??personally knew him an gave evidence for Hayley as when I was 17 he offered me to live on his property and was overly keen ( im thankful i refusedthe offer). He told me he had travelled from Western Australia with his dog miss piggy spreading ashes of his friend along the way? I'm familiar with the house he lived in in millaa millaa and it had a large fireplace that stood out. He also was involved with a man in the town who was charged with beastiality amongst other charges. Frank would hire the man's wife off him to do asexually sadistic things. He was not alone . He had friends around him. Bikies? I had a feeling they were part of a bigger scheme of things and had friends in places that were protecting them.
Fascinating information about Francis Wark and I'm sorry you had the displeasure of encountering such a monster.

I definitely think Wark is responsible for other matters that have not yet been linked, given his history and tendency to violence and sadistic sexual assault. I had certainly not thought about him with respect to this particular murder, though. Is there something that jumps out at you that suggests a link? Given they now have DNA, wouldn't they be able to check it against Wark because his details would be in the system? Perhaps an associate of Wark was responsible or involved and it's his DNA?

Thanks for the info re those found in the Karragullen area. I couldn’t have said who was found there and in what condition, just that it has popped up in a lot of murders over the years. The fact that she was burned, which seems to have been unique in that area to her, suggests to me it’s also a unique perpetrator. I will have to note if I come across other cases of bodies being burned. I’m sure there have been - but around the same time.

The burning is an interesting element to me because I would have thought - with my very limited understanding of these things - that burning indicated a lack of remorse and a desire simply to hide evidence. That suggests vicious and/or impersonal and/or randomn to me rather than someone who just killed someone and panicked. I am sure there are exceptions, though, and certainly your comments about the motorcycle element may explain it.

I’ll put something in here that is not connected, but maybe just food for thought on the burning. Elizabeth Henry was murdered in Queensland in 1998 and her body was burned (there is some debate about whether the burning occurred as part of torture while she was alive, or after she was dead). Her family believe she was in the process of exposing a snuff film ring. Going back on my original comment about the fact that the occult connection was a red herring, I wonder if Kerryn was about to expose something?

Excuse the leaping around and brainstorming. It’s such a weird one with such limited information I’m just trying to look at it from all angles.

A number of bodies have been found in bedfordale through to karagullen over the last 40 odd years. Quite possibly because this region has been dense bushland, its with in a shortish commute from suburban Perth, and not many houses out that way to ask why your driving down a bush track at 2am.

Barbara Western 1986 - body found Karagullen
Kerryn Tate 1979 - body found burnt Karagullen
Kerry Turner 1991 - body found Bedfordale

That's the main ones I can think of, but there has been others. From memory there are a number of people missing/murdered from or found south of the river Perth from late 1970's through to early 1990's. When I get time ill see if I can research up some more names and dates, wondering if there may have been a serial killer or two out Armadale way during those years.

A number of bodies have been found in bedfordale through to karagullen over the last 40 odd years. Quite possibly because this region has been dense bushland, its with in a shortish commute from suburban Perth, and not many houses out that way to ask why your driving down a bush track at 2am.

Barbara Western 1986 - body found Karagullen
Kerryn Tate 1979 - body found burnt Karagullen
Kerry Turner 1991 - body found Bedfordale

That's the main ones I can think of, but there has been others. From memory there are a number of people missing/murdered from or found south of the river Perth from late 1970's through to early 1990's. When I get time ill see if I can research up some more names and dates, wondering if there may have been a serial killer or two out Armadale way during those years.
This is the list I have based on an article from the West Australian Skull and bones in bush grave Tranquil bush setting hides the secrets of the Karragullen .byLuke Eliot published 10 April 2004.

2013 December, Missing October, Michael Paul Pruiti

2004 April, missing May 1992, Debra Joy Donnachy 2004 husband suspected of killing her but died in a car accident. Body found about 500 metres away from Jennifer Wilby’s body.

2002 August, missing May 1999, Jennifer Wilby Massage Parlor Worker husband Dennis Ian Bell convicted of manslaughter.

1999 March, murder suicide, mother and 5 children

1992 February - 52 year old woman – no details published

1992 January – murder suicide, father and children

1991 late July, missing June 30. the body of Kerry Turner was discovered in bush near Canning Dam, about 5km south of the Karragullen site.

1991 March, missing 26 June 1986, Barbara Western body found about 500m from where 22-year-old Kerryn Tate's remains were found in December 1979. Likely Catherine and David Birnie.

1979 December, missing 28 December, 22 year old Kerryn Tate

This is the list I have based on an article from the West Australian Skull and bones in bush grave Tranquil bush setting hides the secrets of the Karragullen .byLuke Eliot published 10 April 2004.

2013 December, Missing October, Michael Paul Pruiti

2004 April, missing May 1992, Debra Joy Donnachy 2004 husband suspected of killing her but died in a car accident. Body found about 500 metres away from Jennifer Wilby’s body.

2002 August, missing May 1999, Jennifer Wilby Massage Parlor Worker husband Dennis Ian Bell convicted of manslaughter.

1999 March, murder suicide, mother and 5 children

1992 February - 52 year old woman – no details published

1992 January – murder suicide, father and children

1991 late July, missing June 30. the body of Kerry Turner was discovered in bush near Canning Dam, about 5km south of the Karragullen site.

1991 March, missing 26 June 1986, Barbara Western body found about 500m from where 22-year-old Kerryn Tate's remains were found in December 1979. Likely Catherine and David Birnie.

1979 December, missing 28 December, 22 year old Kerryn Tate
2003 - Darlyn Ugle body found near Mundaring

1979 - Felicia Wilson killed and dumped in kwinana

1996 - Marsha Caroline Johnson found dead in her warnbro bathroom

1977 - Lorraine Kessey - missing, last seen in Cannington, she was heading home to Maddington

1979 - Kerryn Tate body found in Karagullen

1980 - Annette Deverell - body found near Pinjara

2007 - Noel Acton missing from Gosnells

1991 - Kerry turner body found Bedfordale

1986 - Pauline Walter body found in Forrestdale, had been missing since 1980

1991 - Barbara Anne Weston - body found in Karagullen, missing since 1986

2003 - Darlyn Ugle body found near Mundaring

1979 - Felicia Wilson killed and dumped in kwinana

1996 - Marsha Caroline Johnson found dead in her warnbro bathroom

1977 - Lorraine Kessey - missing, last seen in Cannington, she was heading home to Maddington

1979 - Kerryn Tate body found in Karagullen

1980 - Annette Deverell - body found near Pinjara

2007 - Noel Acton missing from Gosnells

1991 - Kerry turner body found Bedfordale

1986 - Pauline Walter body found in Forrestdale, had been missing since 1980

1991 - Barbara Anne Weston - body found in Karagullen, missing since 1986

I just wonder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back