Unsolved Kerryn Tate 1979 - Murder - Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Just posted the photo in response to you on CSK thread.View attachment 585869
Thats a fancy one. Its like a HG but with fancy grill. Custom alterations.

Holden HT with Holden Brougham front end fitted. Which would make it unique. Not many HT panel vans with Holden Brougham front ends me would finks.

Thats a GTS Monaro bonnet on a custom panel van vehicle. Mr Show n Shine

Who did those modifications? Rare as rockin horse **** even in its day

Maybe MR Panel van had engineering certificates? Although Queensland...

Last edited:
If that is a car of police interest. It would be worth doing a doco pointing out the unique features of the vehicle.

It has side custom windows too. Almost Sandman like. Im sure I read someone saying a van they were in had side windows?

Side windows were not normal. Aftermarket fitting from memory.

In this day and age, a database query for that number plate would roll out in under 3 seconds. Select PXJ*** FROM number_plate...

Surely they have migrated datasets from legacy databases in Queensland?

The car might have had same front end with grill, lights, side windows and GTS bonnet but sprayed yellow

Sharon Mason... well her body found behind a shop near another shop ...and guess what.....
Barbara Western...Karragullen skeletal remains...(foul play???)
Kerryn Tate : Karragullen: burnt to crisp....(Attended Witchcraft Lectures) and was not initiated...at the time....

Felicia Wilson 10/1/79. Mutilated. Kwinana

Kerryn Tate 28/12/79 fractured skull/burnt. Karragullen. *dont buy the motorbike story.

Anette Deverell 13/9/80. Fractured skull/burnt. Pinjarra.

Seen driving around in a panel van night she disappeared. "She was seen in that vicinity, last seen, talking to a young, blonde-headed, scruffy-looking fella," Detective Beaman said.

Lisa Mott 30/10/80. Seen getting into a panel van.

Pretty sure it was Garforth who was investigated for all 4 of those in 1999-2000 when Deverell's case was reopened with new info.

Sharon Mason 19/2/83. Dismembered. Reports of 2 men in a panel van.

Eaton/Yates missing since 1974 were also seen getting into a panel van, South Aus plates, with 3 guys.

Melsy - it was Pauline Walter Jun80 found in a roadside drain area on Rowley Rd, Forestdale.

Interesting post One Eye Spy.

How old would the perpetrators of these murders be now?

From what you have posted you’re inferring multiple perps in some cases.

All of whom must be now aged 60+

Noticed you highlighted the two men in the panel van in connection with Sharon Mason on 1983 - why did you discount the older male in the red sports car who reportedly tried to molest 14 year old Sharon at Mundaring?

Others said they saw her telling two young men in a white panel van that she “just wanted to go home” in an argument not far from the restaurant where she worked casually.”

“A teenage friend claimed that on that day, she found Sharon crying in the laneway behind the shops before they both hitchhiked to the city and then to Mundaring Weir with a man in a red sports car.

She told police they were driven back to Perth after the man tried to have sex with Sharon. She said the man dropped her off at the Causeway and that was the last she saw of both of them.“

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cr...murder-mystery-that-shook-perth-ng-b88699046z

The retired ex military man Phantom62 posted about a few of these cases when he was discussing the CSK murders.

Last edited:
to Mundaring Weir with a man in a red sports car.

Given the legacy database is still alive, it shouldn't take too much to find males of that age with a red sports car in Perth with a population of less than a million via a contemporary database.

About 8 hours Id say.

Given the legacy database is still alive, it shouldn't take too much to find males of that age with a red sports car in Perth with a population of less than a million via a contemporary database.

About 8 hours Id say.

May have already happened Melsy ;)

'' KERRYN MARY TATE, 19
Kerryn Tate disappeared from the Perth metropolitan area on the 28th of December 1979. Her remains were found draped over a burnt tree stump off the Brookton Hwy at Boulder Rock two days later.
A pendant found at the site was used to help identify her.

ANNETTE DEVERELL, 19
Annette Deverell was last seen heading to Mandurah to buy cigarettes on September 13, 1980.
Two years later, her burnt, skeletal remains were found in bush at Pinjarra. A shotgun was found nearby and a post mortem examination revealed her skull had been fractured.

LISA MOTT, 12
Lisa Mott vanished on October 30, 1980. She was last seen getting into a panel van on Forrest St, Collie, after a basketball game. Her body has never been found.
Serial killers David and Catherine Birnie are considered suspects in her case.

PAULINE WALTER, 22
Pauline Walter was last seen at a Perth backpacker hostel in June 1980.
Her headless body was found in a Forrestdale ditch six years later.

SHARON MASON, 14
Perth schoolgirl Sharon Mason vanished on February 19, 1983. Her butchered body was found by workman under a shed behind a shop run by Arthur Greer later that year.
Greer was convicted of Sharon’s murder in 1994 and received a life sentence.
However, there is a widely held belief that Greer did not kill Sharon and the WA Innocence Project have conducted a long-running campaign to appeal his conviction but his requests for parole have continually been knocked back.
His pro bono lawyer Jonathan Davies has applied to the board to allow Greer parole in light of the new evidence, which may explain his longstanding refusal to accept responsibility for the schoolgirl’s murder.
The evidence uncovered by John Button, who was also wrongly convicted over a murder committed by serial killer Eric Edgar Cooke, was presented to the Innocence Project in WA and Edith Cowan University law students, as well as criminologists and psychologists.
His years as a builder meant he was able to find a discrepancy about where the plumbing was on the Mosman Park site where Ms Mason’s remains were found.
It is now suggested that the remains were above pipes that were installed after the girl’s disappearance in 1983, and were not located under a shed then belonging to Greer, which was thought to have concealed the burial spot.

CHERYL RENWICK, 33
The last time Cheryl was known to have had contact with anyone was when she answered a phone call from a friend on May 25, 1986.
Her car was found abandoned at Perth Airport three days later but investigators do not believe she took a flight.
Serial killers David and Catherine Birnie remains the prime suspects in her case.

BARBARA WESTERN, 38
Barbara was last seen drinking at a pub on the Albany Highway on June 26, 1986.
Her skeletal remains were eventually found in bush near Karragullen and suspicion also fell on the Birnies, who are considered suspects in this case.

DARYLYN UGLE, 25
Ms Ugle vanished on March 25, 2003, from Highgate.
Her badly decomposed body was found in bush near Mundaring Weir about two weeks later."

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...s/news-story/0c2ef54e364745c7c0582b4e60685a91

141f7d7ccf421f5edc8992ac500d3819.jpg

That then leaves somebody active in 79/80 then no longer ( as known ) did they die or get locked up? Shelly is right that DNA techniques might narrow somebody or somebodies

Did they die or get locked up? Suspect sadly no.

More likely left the state, perhaps overseas.

Shelly was right. About the DNA.

Interesting post One Eye Spy.

How old would the perpetrators of these murders be now?

From what you have posted you’re inferring multiple perps in some cases.

All of whom must be now aged 60+

Noticed you highlighted the two men in the panel van in connection with Sharon Mason on 1983 - why did you discount the older male in the red sports car who reportedly tried to molest 14 year old Sharon at Mundaring?

Others said they saw her telling two young men in a white panel van that she “just wanted to go home” in an argument not far from the restaurant where she worked casually.”

“A teenage friend claimed that on that day, she found Sharon crying in the laneway behind the shops before they both hitchhiked to the city and then to Mundaring Weir with a man in a red sports car.

She told police they were driven back to Perth after the man tried to have sex with Sharon. She said the man dropped her off at the Causeway and that was the last she saw of both of them.“

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cr...murder-mystery-that-shook-perth-ng-b88699046z

The retired ex military man Phantom62 posted about a few of these cases when he was discussing the CSK murders.
Not discounting anything nor detailing all the varying information we know of each crime, I pulled the similarities relating to each. Whether they turn out to be relevant or the crimes connected is another matter of which I have no idea.

FWIW, I dont recall discounting Birnie possibly acting on his own for the first 4 either if only considering known killers who were around at the time. Yet I assume after he was thrown into the mix for Mott, they'd have surely checked his whereabouts for all the others too. My guess is he was in jail or something and therefore excluded & just proves how little info we have access to & can use to decipher much of anything really.

Regarding the Eaton / Waters disappearance in 1974 - another cold case reopened.

https://www.mandurahmail.com.au/story/5534350/missing-44-years/

“Raelene Eaton – who was 16 at the time – went to Scarborough’s White Sands Hotel with her 17-year-old cousin Yvonne Waters, when the pair disappeared without a trace.

The last time either of the teenagers were seen was when they left the hotel, accompanied by three unknown men, heading towards a white Holden panel van with Queensland number plates.”

Attending a concert at the Scarborough White Sands hotel - last seen accompanied by three men in a white Holden panel van.

Three men would have to be 60+ now. Have they identified them since? Seen a photo floating around of a white Holden panel van around that time of a Freo identity who is closely associated with someone mentioned on thread 1 which raises curiosity. Kinda fits the Beaman description. Might be nothing - will have to check the plates in the photo.

What was the band playing at the White Sands?

Looking at the photo of the girls walking to the white panel van, the car has double headlights, which suggests it to be a Holden HQ, maybe. Like this ute.
images

This model would have been brand new at the time. I guess it would be too late to see how many people bought a White HQ Panel Van in 1974 in Queensland, brand new. That said, there is no real proof these guys owned this van. It may have been stolen and driven to WA at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the photo of the girls walking to the white panel van, the car has double headlights, which suggests it to be a Holden HQ, maybe. Like this ute.
images

This model would have been brand new at the time. I guess it would be too late to see how many people bought a White HQ Panel Van in 1974 in Queensland, brand new. That said, there is no real proof these guys owned this van. It may have been stolen and driven to WA at the time.
The front end of that ute is a custom job. It's from a Statesman.

Woman studying Karl Jung psychology mixing with occult groups ends up on funeral pyre at Witches Boulder in Karragullen where her watch stops at 6.05pm

Looks like she found a bad egg in the group

Its a show and shine vehicle, heavily modified which makes it harder to indentify.

HT panel van with a premier front end?

585286_1ec63cc682b6ba9e5d6950c6add88492.png
Definitely a Premier front end. But since the front end was interchangeable between the HG, HK or HT model, being bolt on bolt off, so would only be able to tell from the tail lights, as the body on those three models were identical.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Definitely a Premier front end. But since the front end was interchangeable between the HG, HK or HT model, being bolt on bolt off, so would only be able to tell from the tail lights, as the body on those three models were identical.

Even the bonnet is Monaro I think. Very hard to pull a description. QLD plates might have been a ruse to avoid detection of police jurisdictional complexities.

Where would you go see the lights of Perth? Witches rock?

It was overheard that the girls wanted to show the men the ‘lights’ or the ‘sights’ of Perth. According to Jean Eaton, Raelene’s mother, this to her indicates Kings Park because that is the only location you can see Perth from.
https://missingpersons.gov.au/search/wa/raelene-eaton

There's a look out spot on the top of Crystal Brook Rd at the intersection with Welshpool Rd. It would've also been the most likely route from the city to where she was found as well.

Dont want to hijack this thread with another crime but I came across this article & reddit on another site. Its hard to make out but it says they located & interviewed one of the 3 guys in Wongan Hills in 1993 & that a prime suspect was Christopher Worrall of the Truro Murders fame. At the trial of his partner Miller, a lady testified that he had told her that Worrall had killed 2 girls in Perth. They traced him to RAAF base in Pearse in the 70's but I cant read all of it to see exactly what it says.
Does mention that the girls were reported missing at 8pm that night and it took 10 days to appear in local papers. The guys stood out because they looked like labourers & it says the car was a station wagon which is obviously wrong. It was the last day before a change of State Govt too. wp_ss_20181231_0002.png

Its a show and shine vehicle, heavily modified which makes it harder to indentify.

HT panel van with a premier front end?

585286_1ec63cc682b6ba9e5d6950c6add88492.png

Dont want to hijack this thread with another crime but I came across this article & reddit on another site. Its hard to make out but it says they located & interviewed one of the 3 guys in Wongan Hills in 1993 & that a prime suspect was Christopher Worrall of the Truro Murders fame. At the trial of his partner Miller, a lady testified that he had told her that Worrall had killed 2 girls in Perth. They traced him to RAAF base in Pearse in the 70's but I cant read all of it to see exactly what it says.
Does mention that the girls were reported missing at 8pm that night and it took 10 days to appear in local papers. The guys stood out because they looked like labourers & it says the car was a station wagon which is obviously wrong. It was the last day before a change of State Govt too.View attachment 600302
This is Worral at the time of his basing at Pearse. Courtesy Advertiser archives. None of the 3 in my opinion is Chris

d4901a497b5744dfd6ae832724f0031f

And this is the car he died in

404e493fd840d933fe958e83f6f9eb60

This is Worral at the time of his basing at Pearse. Courtesy Advertiser archives. None of the 3 in my opinion is Chris

One of the blokes in picture heading towards the panel van looks like Miller, although he probably didn't know Worrall then, nor was ever in WA. But if he was, and did. then he lied in his book.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/l...r/news-story/f346b0e95541187030e10fec33c0b2ff
09b3ac8bbfbf072fa8876ed3dcafb399.jpg
3a765c88c4e0d4631938c894ffebf651.jpg

I asked him if he had ever done it before.

It was then he told me that he had killed a couple of girl hitch-hikers on his way from Perth to Adelaide on one of his leaves when he had been stationed Pearce in WA in the Air Force.

I remember him saying in a voice that was not his normal voice that he had knifed one of the girls and it was messy, blood spurted everywhere. He said he had killed the other girl by bashing in her head with a rock.

He also claimed that once when swimming he had watched a friend drown before his eyes without lifting a hand to help him.

Chris was talking quietly and by looking at him I believed it to be the truth.

From James Williams Miller's book Don't call me killer

Last edited:

Great picture of Chris Worral at the time. I think one of the three guys that were last seen with the cousins could have been him. Also, South Aust number plate. A couple of mates came to WA to visit?
1546582989432.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back