Unsolved Kerryn Tate 1979 - Murder - Western Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Great picture of Chris Worral at the time. I think one of the three guys that were last seen with the cousins could have been him. Also, South Aust number plate. A couple of mates came to WA to visit?
View attachment 601279

The number plates would have been smashed now on a number-plate database. How was it no one recognised him if he is the band member? No one came forward?

1. Studying Karl Jung psychology
2. Enters early witch initiation
3. Burned on a funeral pyre, Karragullen. Boulder aka Witches rock.
4. Watch stops at 6.05pm according police.

Kerryn Tate disappeared from the Perth metropolitan area on the 28th of December 1979

Her remains found two days later on the 30th of December 1979

Kerryn was 19 in 1979. Kerryn Tate would be 59 now in 2019. How old would her perpetrator be?

I'd like to get on the vehicle licensing database and do a few queries. 1979 motorbikes of certain description. The database is so fast now. Drill down a couple of likely suspects.

Kerryn studying psychology. Was she at university? Who were her associates.

The owner of the motorbike would make for a good lead.

"Kerryn Tate returned to her home in Mt Lawley around 11.00 am 29th December 1979 after the North Cottesloe Surf Club dance the night before."

I feel she has met her fate with a madman in pursuit the Carl Jung psychoanalysis. Both Kerryn and her friend were studying occult psychology.

KERRYN MARY TATE, 19

Kerryn Tate disappeared from the Perth metropolitan area on the 28th of December 1979. Her remains were found draped over a burnt tree stump off the Brookton Hwy at Boulder Rock two days later.
A pendant found at the site was used to help identify her.

Last edited:

Studying occult psychology. Ends up burned on a Witches rock. Karragullen. According to police, a funeral pyre at 6PM. Motorbike.

Kerryn resided in Mt Lawley. Studying psychology in 1979 at 19. Someone else would be around this age.

How crime novel by a rock singer could hold the key to capturing a real life serial killer
"Warner’s initial assumption was that they were following up on the disappearance of a girl in 1980 after she was at North Cottesloe Surf Club on the night his band played there. Her body was found but to this day the killer has never been found."

"It’s all because of the similarities between his first crime novel City Of Light and one of Australia’s most infamous unsolved serial killer cases."

Last edited:
Maybe circumstances have changed?

Police should offer immunity to any associates who dob in a killer. Occult pyschology

Police have not made up time between 12 and 6pm of the fire. Its about 50 minutes in the day to the funeral pyre from her house in Mt Lawley.

The police should put a million dollars on this for the killer alive. This could rip open a can of worms.

funeral pyre
noun
noun: funeral pyre; plural noun: funeral pyres; noun: funeral pile; plural noun: funeral piles
  1. a pile of wood on which a corpse is burnt as part of a funeral ceremony.

Last edited:
Note similarities is body disposal.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Note similarities is body disposal.

That appears more akin to one of the other murders. Interesting a dead kangaroo draped over the body to disguise the smell of the murder

There was a murder further south that had a body stashed in a burned out tree.

Who has the balls to set up a funeral pyre at Witches rock at 6pm? That is a very casual task at such a popular spot to set a body on fire with just one exit?

Francis John Wark is now about 62 who owned a motorbike.

Birnies are about 68 now.

Last edited:
Lots of stuff about witchcraft, and a film from 1985 which features two occult groups in Perth, but has witchcraft really got anything to do with Tate's murder?

691886ecefbe4eaa4fc822d575208b25.jpg
0761ac52f6a58afb4aeb973ee4c491eb.jpg

Lots of stuff about witchcraft, and a film from 1985 which features two occult groups in Perth, but has witchcraft really got anything to do with Tate's murder?

Studying Carl Jung Occult psychology. Burned on a funeral pyre at 6pm at Witches Rock. An extremist with a packet lacking a few Tim Tams?

Her friend studying Carl Jung Occult might have some answers?

Goes to Dave Warner concert at North Cott Surf Club night before?

Stayed in Mt Lawley. 11am to 6pm. "Beaten to death"

Beaten to death. What is the motive?

Last edited:
Studying Carl Jung Occult psychology. Burned on a funeral pyre at 6pm at Witches Rock. An extremist with a packet lacking a few Tim Tams?

Body burned at witches rock how ironic

Body burned at witches rock how ironic

,Beating someone to death, hardly seems to be an occult practice. Would seem more likely that the crime scene had been staged IMO. Maybe the perpetrator was interested in the occult or wanted to shift the focus of investigators.

,Beating someone to death, hardly seems to be an occult practice. Would seem more likely that the crime scene had been staged IMO. Maybe the perpetrator was interested in the occult or wanted to shift the focus of investigators.

So just randomness, quick to deminish that one .
If I was a gambling man , which I don’t mind a bet probability is quite high that she new her attacker/s and that if there is a set up to shift blame .
Bang !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. Like I said, an extremist or just a bad egg. An occult can attract these people.

When I read this, I immediately thought of a bloke named Paul Yogi Nipperess. He claimed to be an Ordained Priest but was also into the occult. He died around 2005.

When I read this, I immediately thought of a bloke named Paul Yogi Nipperess. He claimed to be an Ordained Priest but was also into the occult. He died around 2005.
What was this guy 'Paul Niperess' story? Sounds interesting.

Saddest part about this case is that Kerryn was apparently just about to go back to Sydney and visit her young son in January 1980, and yet there's not even a page on the WA Crimestoppers site about her murder. A bit strange considering that son would be about 42 now and her former partner would be in his early 60s I'd imagine. Strange that none of Kerryn's family anywhere have spoken out about her murder.

But as for what happened, I think the witchcraft angle is a red herring. Seems like a simple case of girl gets picked up hitchhiking, taken to a remote spot and murdered. Then to dispose of the evidence/body, killer put her on some highly flammable tree, added some kindling and set fire to it to cover his tracks. Why wouldn't you do that in the middle of summer? Classic old satanic panic response followed when they found Kerryn dabbled in some alternative spiritual activities.

The thing that strikes me though is there's plenty of evidence you could test. The bloody chunk of wood, the yellow sheet. Where is it? Have WAPOL screwed another case and lost it or is it sitting in some storage facility long forgotten? Drag it out and test it for god's sake. Same with the evidence in the Annette Deverell case

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...3/news-story/fc45b2f8cf437d9950e8c5e11f63623d

Suspect the cops are looking at cold cases in other states such as these with similar MO to WA cases.

“All seven women were under 21, all were hitchhiking in the Coast-Brisbane area, they all suffered serious head injuries, it appears they were all sexually assaulted and, in most cases, there was little effort to hide the bodies.”

Expect they would be running DNA from these cold cases through other samples obtained.
I know I’m replying to quite an old post on this thread and I’m not even sure how it is linked Kerryn Tate, but I’m fairly sure in one of the books I read on Ivan Milat that police think he is responsible for at least some of these Gold Coast murders. He was working in the area at the time and frequently driving around the area.

As for Kerryn Tate, I agree with SquiffyRae that the occult/witchcraft connection is a red herring. It added an interesting element to the case and is something quite stigmatized so was, in my view, always going to be blown out of all proportion.

I know I’m replying to quite an old post on this thread and I’m not even sure how it is linked Kerryn Tate, but I’m fairly sure in one of the books I read on Ivan Milat that police think he is responsible for at least some of these Gold Coast murders. He was working in the area at the time and frequently driving around the area.

As for Kerryn Tate, I agree with SquiffyRae that the occult/witchcraft connection is a red herring. It added an interesting element to the case and is something quite stigmatized so was, in my view, always going to be blown out of all proportion.
KT's body was found near Boulder Rock, it can be no coincidence that she had recently attended a ritual in that exact area in the recent past. The coven she was attending meetings with (but had not yet been initiated into ) has admitted this. But what we don't know is why she was there and who she was with. KT was a hitch hiker (apparently house sitting down south for a friend), she was supposed to be heading back down there that day and would have passed this area. I think it is most likely she told the person who was giving her the lift about this ritual and took them to see it and they killed her. I don't think we will ever know who that was though.

KT's body was found near Boulder Rock, it can be no coincidence that she had recently attended a ritual in that exact area in the recent past. The coven she was attending meetings with (but had not yet been initiated into ) has admitted this. But what we don't know is why she was there and who she was with. KT was a hitch hiker (apparently house sitting down south for a friend), she was supposed to be heading back down there that day and would have passed this area. I think it is most likely she told the person who was giving her the lift about this ritual and took them to see it and they killed her. I don't think we will ever know who that was though.
I should probably clarify that I think she could have been killed by someone known to her through the occult stuff, but in the same context as if she was a member of any club. I don’t think it was anything symbolic or part of a ritual or prompted by that person’s actual dabbling in anything occult related. I didn’t explain what I meant by it being a red herring very well upon reading my post again.

Until I read this thread I thought she was killed the night she returned to the friend’s property after being at the surf club, which was close to where she was dumped, therefore explaining why she was could have been dumped there by a random stranger. Am I correct in my understanding now that they actually confirmed she made it home to Mt Lawley the following morning? That then in my view raises the possibility that it could have been someone she knew.

However, the Karragullen area seems to have been a dumping ground for a lot of murders over the years. I have read about it in a few cases - Jennifer Wilby and Michael Pruiti (sp?) are two I recall, but there are more. (I’m not suggesting those two are linked BTW, just that it seems to be a popular place to dispose of a body.) I presume the area is reasonably large so I wish we had enough details to map all of the remains found in that area. It might tell us something.

I should probably clarify that I think she could have been killed by someone known to her through the occult stuff, but in the same context as if she was a member of any club. I don’t think it was anything symbolic or part of a ritual or prompted by that person’s actual dabbling in anything occult related. I didn’t explain what I meant by it being a red herring very well upon reading my post again.

Until I read this thread I thought she was killed the night she returned to the friend’s property after being at the surf club, which was close to where she was dumped, therefore explaining why she was could have been dumped there by a random stranger. Am I correct in my understanding now that they actually confirmed she made it home to Mt Lawley the following morning? That then in my view raises the possibility that it could have been someone she knew.

However, the Karragullen area seems to have been a dumping ground for a lot of murders over the years. I have read about it in a few cases - Jennifer Wilby and Michael Pruiti (sp?) are two I recall, but there are more. (I’m not suggesting those two are linked BTW, just that it seems to be a popular place to dispose of a body.) I presume the area is reasonably large so I wish we had enough details to map all of the remains found in that area. It might tell us something.
Kerry stayed the night at her male friends house after the concert and he dropped her home to Mt lawley at 11am. She made some lunch and headed off presumably, down south. Karragullen is aprox 45 minutes from Mt Lawley.
1601692125898.png
1601691981527.png

Barbara Western as well was somewhere around Karragullen. Kerry Turner wasn't too far south at Canning Dam. The Birnies had their dumping ground pretty close by as well. Dunno if there's any significance to it other than it's a fairly isolated area of Perth with limited foot and vehicle traffic i.e. the perfect place for someone who wanted to hide a dead body where it's unlikely to be found to go. I have my suspicions that this general area might be where Sarah Spiers as well, although exactly where I couldn't say.

Interesting though that with the exception of Kerry Turner, bodies in this area tend to be buried. Kerryn Tate was burned. Makes me wonder about the supposed sighting of her with motorcycle guy. If he's responsible, maybe he burned her because it seemed the easiest option. Can't take a body or other evidence somewhere else to bury them on a motorcycle

Barbara Western as well was somewhere around Karragullen. Kerry Turner wasn't too far south at Canning Dam. The Birnies had their dumping ground pretty close by as well. Dunno if there's any significance to it other than it's a fairly isolated area of Perth with limited foot and vehicle traffic i.e. the perfect place for someone who wanted to hide a dead body where it's unlikely to be found to go. I have my suspicions that this general area might be where Sarah Spiers as well, although exactly where I couldn't say.

Interesting though that with the exception of Kerry Turner, bodies in this area tend to be buried. Kerryn Tate was burned. Makes me wonder about the supposed sighting of her with motorcycle guy. If he's responsible, maybe he burned her because it seemed the easiest option. Can't take a body or other evidence somewhere else to bury them on a motorcycle
Thanks for the info re those found in the Karragullen area. I couldn’t have said who was found there and in what condition, just that it has popped up in a lot of murders over the years. The fact that she was burned, which seems to have been unique in that area to her, suggests to me it’s also a unique perpetrator. I will have to note if I come across other cases of bodies being burned. I’m sure there have been - but around the same time.

The burning is an interesting element to me because I would have thought - with my very limited understanding of these things - that burning indicated a lack of remorse and a desire simply to hide evidence. That suggests vicious and/or impersonal and/or randomn to me rather than someone who just killed someone and panicked. I am sure there are exceptions, though, and certainly your comments about the motorcycle element may explain it.

I’ll put something in here that is not connected, but maybe just food for thought on the burning. Elizabeth Henry was murdered in Queensland in 1998 and her body was burned (there is some debate about whether the burning occurred as part of torture while she was alive, or after she was dead). Her family believe she was in the process of exposing a snuff film ring. Going back on my original comment about the fact that the occult connection was a red herring, I wonder if Kerryn was about to expose something?

Excuse the leaping around and brainstorming. It’s such a weird one with such limited information I’m just trying to look at it from all angles.

Burning is meant to eliminate evidence from stolen cars to houses etc

I wonder if the idea was to start a Bushfire and have her listed as a camping death etc

2 areas, which may tie into motorcycle gangs, is looking into anyone in her circle who was into car stealing

The other, burning is a classic precursor to psychopathic or sociopathic behaviour

Burning is meant to eliminate evidence from stolen cars to houses etc

I wonder if the idea was to start a Bushfire and have her listed as a camping death etc

2 areas, which may tie into motorcycle gangs, is looking into anyone in her circle who was into car stealing

The other, burning is a classic precursor to psychopathic or sociopathic behaviour
I could be mistaken, but I thought Darylyn Ugle was also found burnt, but I can't find anything about how she was murdered. In fact there is very little info about her.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back