Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/3aw-generic-blog/afl-legend-breaks-down-over-loss/20090213-86mt.html

AFL legend breaks down over loss

AFL Legend Kevin Murray showed up to the steps of parliament on Friday to support 3AW's Bushfire Appeal, his effort in turning up all the more commendable given he lost his Flowerdale house in the terrible fire on Saturday.

“I'm upset like a lot of people, because I lost my place at Flowerdale ... and um ... I’ll pull myself together, but that’s ah, that’s ok," Murray told 3AW's Neil Mitchell on the steps of parliament.

"Fortunately, I was going to be there last week for a week or 10 days to do some work on it. I’ve been renovating for 23 years remind you … with the excessive heat, I decided not to go."

"I come down to Melbourne, because I thought, even though it was God’s own country, I thought if the fire started there, there was no way out. And with the bad conditions we had, and Neil I’d just like to, um, say a special thank you to all the CFA firefighters who have fought so hard, all the volunteers who fought so hard, but one thing to the people who have lost everything, just remember, stand tall because the Australian public is behind you."

"Our ancestors had to fight through all this and they survived and they’ve given us strength to go on."

Humble as ever, the former Fitzroy Football Club champion spared a thought for those who have lost those closes to them in during this horrible crisis.

"I’m only one of the lucky ones, I mean, a lot of people have lost their families."

The Bulldog is an amazing human being.
I hope the club realises his situation & is providing assistance if it is required.

Club has to do something for an absolute champion, top bloke and key supporter of the merger. I'm sure they will.

Poor bloke was in hospital a year or so ago after falling off his roof. Can't catch a trick.

At least he's okay, that's the main thing.

Absolute tragedy for the old Roy Boy!

There are a few things happening behind the scenes to set up a contact point for donations, so watch the Fitzroy board for more instructions in the next day or so.

If other people are doing any other work being the scenes via other channels (BFC? AFL?) can you please let me know so we don't duplicate things.

We need to help Kevin out!

It's bloody hard work trying to get information at the moment, the AFL, BFC and FFC are not responding and that is understandable being the weekend. Hopefully posters on BF will be able to post info on here that will get things going.

If anyone wishes to make a donation the official channel for donations is:

Fitzroy - Brisbane Lions Past Players & Officials Association Inc.
32 Nash Rd.
Box Hill South Vic 3128

The Association is starting an appeal for all former players & officials who
have suffered losses through the fires.

The Club also extends its best wishes to Club icon and Brownlow Medallist Kevin ‘Bulldog’ Murray who lost a house and sentimental belongings in the recent bushfire tragedy.

Upon Kevin’s request, the Club will donate a number of memorabilia items to his local Flowerdale community to assist in the area’s fundraising efforts.

Sounds pretty typical of the champion, the club offers to help him out personally and he asks for it to be distributed amongst his community. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back