Moved Thread Kevin Sheedy calls on football to embrace sexual equality

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
AFL coaching legend Kevin Sheedy wants the football world to embrace sexual equality with the same enthusiasm with which it has supported indigenous talent at the elite level of the game.

Sheedy, part of a discussion panel about the LGBTQ community and football on Wednesday night, praised the AFL for its progressive stance on social issues, but spoke about the conservatism of society at large inhibiting a change in attitudes.

"We are very slow in looking at different projects and the opportunity to actually look at life," he said. "Before Michael Long, 28 Aboriginals had played AFL football in the VFL. Since Michael Long, there's been 330. Why did it take that long? Because we're very careful and conservative.

"I have a nephew who's gay. He's a beautiful person. The great thing about gay people is they're beautiful human beings who don't do the crap that heterosexuals do. In the end, they're very caring people, and I think that's an important ingredient to have."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-embrace-sexual-equality-20170518-gw7hyh.html

"I have a nephew who's gay. He's a beautiful person. The great thing about gay people is they're beautiful human beings who don't do the crap that heterosexuals do. In the end, they're very caring people, and I think that's an important ingredient to have."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-embrace-sexual-equality-20170518-gw7hyh.html

Bit of a generalization there Sheeds. I think he is implying that gays don't commit crimes. Wipe out the bolded section and 100% agree with Sheeds. What consenting sound of mind adults do is no bodies business IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of a generalization there Sheeds. I think he is implying that gays don't commit crimes. Wipe out the bolded section and 100% agree with Sheeds. What consenting sound of mind adults do is no bodies business IMO.

Yeah, his heart might have been in the right place, but his brain was definitely in neutral.

There wouldn't be that many gay AFL players I'd have thought. Lower than the 10% quoted in society. Although having said that, there was one openly gay player at my amateur club a few years back, and you'd never have picked him to be, so maybe there's a few more than you'd expect.

I don't really understand Sheeds' point either. Is he suggesting that there's a ton of gay players out there that haven't entered the AFL fray due to their sexuality? Seems a bit unlikely to me. Much more likely is that we already have closeted gays at AFL clubs.

Will be a great day when the first gay player comes out. I think he'll earn a ton of respect and the sledging etc will be virtually non-existant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back