Kevin Sheedy vs Leigh Matthews (as coach)

Who was the better Coach?

• Leigh Matthews

Votes: 49 60.5%
  • Kevin Sheedy

Votes: 32 39.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Cadillac

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leigh Matthews 4X premiership coach. 461 (267–186–8)

Kevin Sheedy 4X premiership coach. 634 (386–242–6 (As coach or Essendon)

I left his record from GWS off the books because it seriously deminished his W/L record.

Also Matthews beating Sheedy in a grand final may carry some weight. But in saying that, Essendon were cooked going into the 2001 grand final.

Hmmmm...... I think you have to take in to account the advantages granted the Lions for their three-peat.

Sheedy also took three different sides to flags too.

Sheedy - but not by heaps.

Sheedy for me as well as he took 3 different sides to a premiership, but it's very close. Matthews was given a strong list at the lions. But he also broke a long drought at Collingwood. Sheedy gave Essendon their first premiership since the 60s in 84 in one of the best grand final comebacks vs Hawthorn.

Matthews

Note some comments about Matthews inheriting a great list @ the Lions

Sheedy coached the bombers in the 80s when only 3 teams won premierships !!

Sheeds for me. Matthews walked into a magnificent list at Brisbane. Sheeds built 3 different flag teams. And in 93' he completely out coached Parkin, with the help of Neil Daniher it should be noted.
Monkey do you remember a story floating around that Carlton's match day tactics ended up in a fax machine at Windy Hill by mistake?

Also there was more to Sheeds than coaching. He marketed Essendon to Australia and helped the game grow in general. And his tactics such as swapping players positions helped the game become a better spectacle and above all win footy matches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monkey do you remember a story floating around that Carlton's match day tactics ended up in a fax machine at Windy Hill by mistake?

The story as I recall was that Neil Daniher had figured out Carlton's centre sqaure set ups and he and Sheeds had devised a gameplan that would shred it to pieces. There was a fax detailing all this that was mistakenly sent to someone who just happpened to be a Carlton supporter. When the mistake was discovered they contacted the guy who then gave his word that he wouldn't reveal anything to the Blues about their gameplan having been busted.

The story as I recall was that Neil Daniher had figured out Carlton's centre sqaure set ups and he and Sheeds had devised a gameplan that would shred it to pieces. There was a fax detailing all this that was mistakenly sent to someone who just happpened to be a Carlton supporter. When the mistake was discovered they contacted the guy who then gave his word that he wouldn't reveal anything to the Blues about their gameplan having been busted.

Was said supporter summarily hung, drawn and quartered after his discretion cost them a flag?

Was said supporter summarily hung, drawn and quartered after his discretion cost them a flag?

I think there was a photo of the guy in the papers at the time. Must've been in his 50's if my memory has the right pic. I wonder how long before he could show his face at Princes Park again. I remember as a young man being pretty dirty on the bloke, but as it does, age mellows and I can at least now appreciate the sense of fair play.

Sheeds for me. Matthews walked into a magnificent list at Brisbane. Sheeds built 3 different flag teams. And in 93' he completely out coached Parkin, with the help of Neil Daniher it should be noted.
In 1990 and 2001 Mathews outcoached Sheedy

Also only 1 premiership from 99-01 from the 'team of the century' is pretty nothing to write home about.

In 1990 and 2001 Mathews outcoached Sheedy

Also only 1 premiership from 99-01 from the 'team of the century' is pretty nothing to write home about.

Matthews' team may have won in 01' but I don't think he did anything in particular that out coached Sheedy. I have no idea about 90'. Never watched the game. It was a Carlton supporter's nightmare matchup knowing that either the Pies or Dons would be premiers no matter what. Who the hell do you back in that game? All I recall is checking the scores on a big screen at a shopping centre I was at that day.

What I'm talking about in 93' was Sheedy genuinely tactically outmanoeuvring Parkin. And then the reports following of Sheedy's pre-game address. I guess Matthews had the "if it bleeds you can kill it" line.

Still Sheeds for me.

Matthews' team may have won in 01' but I don't think he did anything in particular that out coached Sheedy. I have no idea about 90'. Never watched the game. It was a Carlton supporter's nightmare matchup knowing that either the Pies or Dons would be premiers no matter what. Who the hell do you back in that game? All I recall is checking the scores on a big screen at a shopping centre I was at that day.

What I'm talking about in 93' was Sheedy genuinely tactically outmanoeuvring Parkin. And then the reports following of Sheedy's pre-game address. I guess Matthews had the "if it bleeds you can kill it" line.

Still Sheeds for me.
In both games Sheedy told his players to go the biff. That's his go to plan whenever he's under pressure. In both matches Mathews told his players to concentrate on the ball and both times they had easy wins.

In both games Sheedy told his players to go the biff. That's his go to plan whenever he's under pressure. In both matches Mathews told his players to concentrate on the ball and both times they had easy wins.
Did you miss 04 when Matthews was losing to Port?

Pretty even, Matthews was given a hell of a list in Brisbane but he did get the most out of it, I can't split them.
Doesn't that demonstrate a difference in coaching ability though? Mathews got 3 premierships out of his superteam, Sheedy only got one out of his 'team of the century'.

Back