Kevin Sheedy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2004
Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears
Was thinking about it the other day when he said at the Press Conference that we were just client for 27 years.

Is anyone dissapointed he said this or thinks this? Has it been too easy for him to move on after what happened? Am I over-reacting?

and does anyone see him ever coming back to the club in a different role?

Was thinking about it the other day when he said at the Press Conference that we were just client for 27 years.

Is anyone dissapointed he said this or thinks this? Has it been too easy for him to move on after what happened? Am I over-reacting?

Your a bit slow on the uptake Sawxy, I mentioned it 6 months ago. Let the old fox move on.

Ask Jimi Hird if he thinks he and Essendon were clients for 16 years.......

I feel that it was just a way of reducing the sympathy that was inevitably going to be directed towards him and trying to show that he's ready to move on to something else.

At that time, he was still well in the race for a few coaching jobs and they were hardly going to employ a man still besotted with an opposition club either.

Sheeds is a sentimental, and I don't question that the time he spent at Essendon means a lot to him, and nor do I question that the time hes pent at Richmond means a lot to him.

As it stands now, I think the only way Kevin Sheedy would return to Essendon to work would be as a board member. He is getting older, and after living a very busy life, I'm sure he'll look to scale down his responsibilities (even if that doesn't include scaling down his work rate). He's in a great role with the AFL now, and that should do him for the time being.

Long live King Sheeds, the crafty ol fox.

There would be some indepth reason for his statement, I'm sure. He is still the man.

I think Kevin was just trying to make it easier to deal with by saying 'client'.
I think he'll become our next president, and when that happens depends on how our club is fairing on and off the field. I think he hinted in one of his press conferences that he'll come back and get those responsible for his axing (in a mischievoius way).

I feel that it was just a way of reducing the sympathy that was inevitably going to be directed towards him and trying to show that he's ready to move on to something else.

At that time, he was still well in the race for a few coaching jobs and they were hardly going to employ a man still besotted with an opposition club either.

Sheeds is a sentimental, and I don't question that the time he spent at Essendon means a lot to him, and nor do I question that the time hes pent at Richmond means a lot to him.

As it stands now, I think the only way Kevin Sheedy would return to Essendon to work would be as a board member. He is getting older, and after living a very busy life, I'm sure he'll look to scale down his responsibilities (even if that doesn't include scaling down his work rate). He's in a great role with the AFL now, and that should do him for the time being.

Agree, well said.

Even though it was mentioned a while ago and at the time a useful ploy for Sheedy to defuse his sacking mid season, I think that down the track he has subtly displayed some disaffection that is a little unsavory for one that was more than just a coach for 27 years. He has a massive ego, and a sense of self importance that has become a doubled edged sword.

I would suggest that Knights has benefited indirectly from this because the renewed focus upon the playing group, the redefinition of the coach as a manager of this group and also the coaching fraternity. There seems to be more clarity to a whole range of positions within the club. Fans and I sense the club, are enjoying a renaissance that hitherto they would not have imagined under Sheeds.

Will he come back to the club in the future?? I think it depends on what he does in his football life post Bombers. Most bomber people would want to see just a little public parochialism from him to put to bed the unfortunate issues surrounding his sacking.

For him personally though, I am not sure what the club can offer him to appease his personal ambitions/needs. He would be good for the club but not just now.

Maybe in a marketing role but i would be very suprised.

I think someone with his ideas and plans would be better suited to the whole game, rather than just a club.

Basically his role with the AFL as an ambassador is probably a good role for him

The man has been on a downward spiral since 2002.

If anyone read his article in the weekend paper about the TAC and how they shouldn't sponsor football clubs because it's too much of a burden on the young players would realise that he's completely lost the plot.

For all the interviews and press conferences Sheedy has done over the years he could always find a way to make me cringe with embarassment.The client call was just another in a long list of public utterances when his mouth has clicked into gear before his brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't his wife or someone come out after he was sacked and said that he had taken this very hard and was really upset that he was sacked?

Maybe he tried to keep it from Geraldine that he'd been told twice by very senior people that he wouldn't be re-appointed. When he was told that, he should have saved everyone the angst and stood down.

I think Kevin was just trying to make it easier to deal with by saying 'client'.
I think he'll become our next president, and when that happens depends on how our club is fairing on and off the field. I think he hinted in one of his press conferences that he'll come back and get those responsible for his axing (in a mischievoius way).

I think your right about Sheedy trying to make it easier for himself by calling Essendon his sex worker. That herald article from his Mrs saying how upset he was didnt help either.. I have a strong sense he wants to put something back into the tigers he has mentioned a few things and with KB going back to punt rd it might be the catalyst for that old crew to do something for the tiges..

President sheedy!!! maybe if Jim takes over as head coach

For all the interviews and press conferences Sheedy has done over the years he could always find a way to make me cringe with embarassment.The client call was just another in a long list of public utterances when his mouth has clicked into gear before his brain.

How sweet it is - I couldn't agree more. That "marshmallow" moment aimed at North was a real cringe time for moi, the coach shoots off his mouth and the players faced a fired up,antagonistic opposition because of it.
The throat cutting gesture was more theatrics we could have done without.
But it was the refusal to delist players who weren't up to scratch that really got to me.
And about Richmond. For all everyone's talk about Sheedy "going back" there - we're still waiting.
I notice Sheedy was in attendance for McPhee's wedding, so he hasn't been forgotten.
As for him being a future President/Chairman of our Board, forget it chum, it just won't happen. Isn't there a bloke from Tattersalls now on the board ?
It will be someone with business expertise, a corporate background.
Also, before we get the Save Essendon fools in full flight on here, the man was told in January that it might be time for him to re-think his future after 2007. But the Sheedy ego wasn't listening.

Great Coach. Great Marketer. Great Businessman?

The way he handled this change was a marvel to me 17 seasons. Fantastic display of the unselfish, "Get The Job Done" sheeds.

I know that I'm well and truly excited about the next generation and the knights era which is great for the Essendon fc. It would seem quite a few are, and I think a little of this is owed to the way Sheeds handled a delicate? situation.

How sweet it is - I couldn't agree more. That "marshmallow" moment aimed at North was a real cringe time for moi, the coach shoots off his mouth and the players faced a fired up,antagonistic opposition because of it.
The throat cutting gesture was more theatrics we could have done without.
But it was the refusal to delist players who weren't up to scratch that really got to me.
And about Richmond. For all everyone's talk about Sheedy "going back" there - we're still waiting.
I notice Sheedy was in attendance for McPhee's wedding, so he hasn't been forgotten.
As for him being a future President/Chairman of our Board, forget it chum, it just won't happen. Isn't there a bloke from Tattersalls now on the board ?
It will be someone with business expertise, a corporate background.
Also, before we get the Save Essendon fools in full flight on here, the man was told in January that it might be time for him to re-think his future after 2007. But the Sheedy ego wasn't listening.
If we had lost the `84 G.F he would have been shown the door, pure and simple. Just think back to the " they (hawfforn) are sniffing something at 3/4 time, i think it`s illegal" Lucky for him Essendon clicked into gear in the last quarter, no `84 g.f, no sheedy.(especially after `83)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back