Opinion Key Backs and why Pies picked Frampton

Remove this Banner Ad

Forethought

Team Captain
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
After reviewing last years top 8 teams Key Backs and including Frampton ( small sample size). I believe that the Pies have picked Frampton for the evolving needs of Key Backs. This being the need of their kicking skills to take the pressure off the Quarterback having to drive the play from defence.

Below is the top 8 teams key Backs Possession rating and more importantly their KICKING EFFICIENCY.
BA= Below Average
A = Average
AA = Above Average
Elite= Speaks for itself.

Possession rating first the Kicking efficiency second.

Pies first:
Moore : AA / AA
Howe: AA/ A
Murphy: BA/ BA
FRAMPTON: Elite / Elite. ( only key Back rated Double Elite) 6 games sample.

Cats:
Kol : A/ AB
Henry: BA/ AA
De Kon : A/ AA

Swans:
P McCart: A/AB
T McCart: BA/ BA.

Dees:
May: Elite/ AA
Lever: A/AA
Petty : BA/ A

Lions:
Harris: A/ Elite
Payne: A/BA

Dogs:
Keath: A/A
Gardner: A/BA

Tigers:
Balta: A/BA
Tarrant : BA/A
Grimes: A/A

Freo:
Ryan : AA/ Elite
Cox : AA/AA

Blues : ( not top 8 )
Weed: A/BA
Young : A/AA

If you rate the teams on above and put Frampton in vs Murphy then only Pies and Freo Key Backs rate Above Average in Possessions/ Kicking effectiveness.

Why’s this so important?

Basically the turnover game but more importantly if Key backs have great Possessions/ Kicking efficiency they can drive or start the attack from the backline without involving a Quarterback style player. This allowing them to get more damaging further down the chain.

Let’s take this one step further.

Tigers: Rely on Short/ Rioli / Baker
Swans : Rely on Lloyd / Rampe/ Blakey
Dogs: Richard’s/ Daniel / Dale
Cats: Bews / With Wingers Mids dropping back
Dees: Salem/ Hibberd / Ed Langdon to drop back
Freo: Young / Jordon Clarke hence why they recruited him.
Lions: Starcevich / Rich/ Coleman
Blues: Saad/ Doc / Williamson ( injured)
Pies: Q/ Nobble / Nick D/ : Last year we were no 1 team starting de 50 attacking chains to Fwd 50. This I believe can only increase with Frampton. Moore was the No 1 Key Back to play on last year. This is just a piece of the puzzle that I believe can speed up our transition play whilst allowing more run from more players with the second/ Third chain possession.

After reviewing last years top 8 teams Key Backs and including Frampton ( small sample size). I believe that the Pies have picked Frampton for the evolving needs of Key Backs. This being the need of their kicking skills to take the pressure off the Quarterback having to drive the play from defence.

Below is the top 8 teams key Backs Possession rating and more importantly their KICKING EFFICIENCY.
BA= Below Average
A = Average
AA = Above Average

Pies first:

Cats:

Swans:

Dees:

Lions:

Dogs:

Tigers:

Freo:

If you rate the teams on above and put Frampton in vs Murphy then only Pies and Freo Key Backs rate Above Average in Possessions/ Kicking effectiveness.

Why’s this so important?

Basically the turnover game but more importantly if Key backs have great Possessions/ Kicking efficiency they can drive or start the attack from the backline without involving a Quarterback style player. This allowing them to get more damaging further down the chain.

Pies: Q/ Nobble / Nick D/ : Last year we were no 1 team starting de 50 attacking chains to Fwd 50. This I believe can only increase with Frampton. Moore was the No 1 Key Back to play on last year. This is just a piece of the puzzle that I believe can speed up our transition play whilst allowing more run from more players with the second/ Third chain possession.

Lots of work in this. But there is no way a player with 24 games in 8 seasons has been elite at anything.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is a sample size of 6 games.
If you consider the number of games the others in your analysis have it shows them to be a far more proven and consistent performer.

Frampton is an improvement on Madgen.
He was gettable at a reasonable cost.
There is hope.
But I’m not convinced of much more.

I’d play Murphy ahead of him round 1 at this stage.

The problem is a sample size of 6 games.
If you consider the number of games the others in your analysis have it shows them to be a far more proven and consistent performer.

Frampton is an improvement on Madgen.
He was gettable at a reasonable cost.
There is hope.
But I’m not convinced of much more.

I’d play Murphy ahead of him round 1 at this stage.
Not sure Frampton has proved he is an improvement on Madgen-yet.

Liam Jones will bolster the dogs defence. Has a lot more runs on the board than Frampton at this stage. Hasn’t played AFL since Covid, so don’t know how he will adapt again. But he can play intercept or one on one down back.

Liam Jones will bolster the dogs defence. Has a lot more runs on the board than Frampton at this stage. Hasn’t played AFL since Covid, so don’t know how he will adapt again. But he can play intercept or one on one down back.
Liam Jones makes their list really complete. If they're well coached, they should give it a shake this year.

As a buyer of Frampton I’m not buying this analysis. I think he can become a permanent fixture of our back 7 and perhaps even match Roughead’s output with time, however there are questions coming out of pre-season.

Much of what sold him to me was his ability to intercept and he was inconsistent overhead through the pre-season. He also seemed to lack intensity and I suspect it’s not pre-season mentality. Realistically like the rest of the defensive group his ability to perform will largely be dictated by pressure up field and he’ll be tested early season when it’s non stop fast footy.

Ranking him elite using arbitrary markers with a simple size of 6 holds as much weight as Cornes claim that Fogarty can win the Coleman...

It troubles me that a player with Frampton’s size isn’t known for winning 1:1 contested situations with key forwards.
That’s his USP that’s missing.
That’s why I don’t believe.

Murphy at least competes and isn’t that bad in other areas.

If you could blend the best of them, you’d get an amazing player.
Maybe even as good as Darcy Moore.

BA= Below Average
A = Average
AA = Above Average

Pies first:

Cats:

Swans:

Dees:

Lions:

Dogs:

Tigers:

Freo:

Why’s this so important?

This is old news, Buckley cleared out the backline of poor kicks when he took over. Our game plan centred around intercept marking and rebounding swiftly through precise ball use from the back half.

Frampton is an improvement on Madgen, only in so far he is taller and stronger than Madgen. He has a long way to go to demonstrate that he can negate his opponent better than Madgen and defense is about beating your opponent.

I saw improvement in Madgen the more games he got the more confident he became unfortunately probably took longer than it needed and also at that height of no mans land for a defender

Give Frampton some time and we may have a player

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a buyer of Frampton I’m not buying this analysis. I think he can become a permanent fixture of our back 7 and perhaps even match Roughead’s output with time, however there are questions coming out of pre-season.

Much of what sold him to me was his ability to intercept and he was inconsistent overhead through the pre-season. He also seemed to lack intensity and I suspect it’s not pre-season mentality. Realistically like the rest of the defensive group his ability to perform will largely be dictated by pressure up field and he’ll be tested early season when it’s non stop fast footy.

Ranking him elite using arbitrary markers with a simple size of 6 holds as much weight as Cornes claim that Fogarty can win the Coleman...
Don’t disagree with your comments. People forget this was an opinion piece on Why the Pies drafted Frampton not that he’s Elite.
Yes some comments from others 8years 24 Games but only 1 yr in AFL/ SANFL as a key back.
I think what they saw last year is what they are hoping for with plenty of improvement. If he was 18yrs old with 6 games sample size at his stats he’d be a top 5 Draft pick.

If he does get it right he has a high possession and kicking efficiency naturally, let’s hope he gets the other parts of his game up. I think he’s basically a free hit costing us not much for the upside. Risk to reward surely in our favour picking him.

Lack of depth in defence will be a problem,I just hope Frampton and Kelly prove me wrong.
I think we have plenty of depth in the backline actually
We are just a little unsure about the 2nd KPB.

Sure, its a concern, because right now some good back up options are injured (Dean, Kreuger)
And our main option is unproven (Frampton).

But we know we can get by with Murphy, plus we have more talls than last year so can shift the magnets if we need to.
Begg is an option as well, or even Mihocek if we are absolutely desperate
Of course we also have Kelly in theory, but he wont make it. But may be able to play a negating role if we absolutely have to.

I think we have plenty of depth in the backline actually
We are just a little unsure about the 2nd KPB.

Sure, its a concern, because right now some good back up options are injured (Dean, Kreuger)
And our main option is unproven (Frampton).

But we know we can get by with Murphy, plus we have more talls than last year so can shift the magnets if we need to.
Begg is an option as well, or even Mihocek if we are absolutely desperate
Of course we also have Kelly in theory, but he wont make it. But may be able to play a negating role if we absolutely have to.
You speak as if dean is proven . The consistent fawning over this zero gamer continues to astonish me.

I am hoping that Frampton will be a useful pickup, I don' expect him to be the greatest player we have ever gotten but if we can get something of value out of him when he's in the side I'd be happy.l

Better than Henry Schade is all I’m hoping for at the moment. Much better would be nice. He’ll feel the pressure no doubt with the eyes of supporters eagerly awaiting to see what he delivers. Good luck to him if he gets a game Friday.

No Hawkins would be an ideal match for him to debut with. Can show off his good points without the pressure of a strong big forward to contest with. Maybe Murphy gets the nod over him but hopefully he can have a great debut if picked.

Better than Henry Schade is all I’m hoping for at the moment. Much better would be nice. He’ll feel the pressure no doubt with the eyes of supporters eagerly awaiting to see what he delivers. Good luck to him if he gets a game Friday.
I'm hoping for much better than Jack Madgen to be fair, but if he's better than both then a win is here.

Was it THATSGOLD who became an unlikely booster of Schade ?

A moment of sunshine in TG’s dungeon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back