Opinion Key Backs and why Pies picked Frampton

Remove this Banner Ad

Many were optimistic about Murphy at the beginning of 2022. And proven right.
While others have egg on their faces.

There’s nothing wrong with optimism mate.
True mate. I am really optimistic on Dean becoming a regular. FB at that.

Frampton is an improvement on Madgen, only in so far he is taller and stronger than Madgen. He has a long way to go to demonstrate that he can negate his opponent better than Madgen and defense is about beating your opponent.
That’s a low bar considering Madgen was completely inept at negating any opponent he had.

Expecting a player to be capable in a position is very different to being a savior who’ll rescue a team.
Most are looking to “capable” as the benchmark for Dean, not “saviour” IMO.

Semantics . What word I choose to use for poetic licence to emphasise my point, doesn’t change my point. We are hoping every player on our list will be capable, at a bare minimum, but in deans case many people are expecting much more than that, based off very little evidence.

Last edited:
Semantics . What word I choose to use for poetic licence to emphasise my point, doesn’t change my point. We are hoping every player on our list will be capable, at a bare minimum, but in deans case many people are expecting much more than that, based off very little evidence.
I'm with you. Rookie draft selection who looked reasonable in a practice match and hasn't played since and people talk about him as though he's a lock to make us better...

I think most want him to just hold down a spot, ie be capable in that position.
Your suggestion “MANY people are expecting much more”, or a “savior” in your words, is not something I have noticed.

Last edited:
I'm with you. Rookie draft selection who looked reasonable in a practice match and hasn't played since and people talk about him as though he's a lock to make us better...

Yep.

It’s not about bagging him out either. He’s had a terrible run. But quite frankly we just don’t know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we have plenty of depth in the backline actually
We are just a little unsure about the 2nd KPB.

Sure, its a concern, because right now some good back up options are injured (Dean, Kreuger)
And our main option is unproven (Frampton).

But we know we can get by with Murphy, plus we have more talls than last year so can shift the magnets if we need to.
Begg is an option as well, or even Mihocek if we are absolutely desperate
Of course we also have Kelly in theory, but he wont make it. But may be able to play a negating role if we absolutely have to.
My concern is injuries to our key tall defenders,thus the lack of depth.

My concern is injuries to our key tall defenders,thus the lack of depth.

Understandably. Was the same last year post Roughy’s injury. We have a lot of depth, the issue is it’s largely unknown. We don’t yet know if the Frampton, Dean and Kelly types can become regular senior players. Only time will resolve that.

Ruscoe, Wilson, Dean, Kruger, Begg, Murphy is plenty of depth.

Quality unknown however, apart from Murphy and to some extent Ruscoe who are both a little undersized for Kpp. Need a clean run from Kreuger this year and ongoing development from Begg before we can say we have adequate depth. We also need frampton to justify why we recruited him……. And Moore and Howe to stay injury free

A 3 year contract tells me Fly knows a lot more than we do as to why Frampton was picked up.

I’d have assumed that was the cost of praising him loose from the Crows rather than any inside info McRae might have had. I’d have assumed he’d just give Wright a “we need a Roughy replacement”, Wright would then go back to him with a “what about this Frampton kid from the Crows, I think we can get him”. That’d be the extent of McRae’s involvement I’d have thought.

Quality unknown however, apart from Murphy and to some extent Ruscoe who are both a little undersized for Kpp. Need a clean run from Kreuger this year and ongoing development from Begg before we can say we have adequate depth. We also need frampton to justify why we recruited him……. And Moore and Howe to stay injury free
Ruscoe is 194cm, Stewart and Henry from GEEL are 190cm and 192cm respectively. May is 193cm and Lever 195cm.
So the case that, Ruscoe and Murphy are undersized is hard to support.
Very few clubs have 200cm depth defenders.

Ruscoe is 194cm, Stewart and Henry from GEEL are 190cm and 192cm respectively. May is 193cm and Lever 195cm.
So the case that, Ruscoe and Murphy are undersized is hard to support.
Very few clubs have 200cm depth defenders.
Hi No Spin, just re Ruscoe and size. I think certain players regardless of size can either play tall or small. I don’t believe Ruscoe plays tall regardless of his size. Your May example is his uniqueness that he can play on anyone from the Hawkins/ Dixon brutes to a mid size Fwd. If you take Doedee at 190 cm being a KPP and even Rampe is rated as a KPP and has played on the big boys all his career at only 187cm.
Ruscoe isn’t very good overhead whilst Murphy definitely is. These May/ Doedee / Rampe types back themselves in 1 on 1’s to out mark or position their opponents something Ruscoe can’t do yet.

Hi No Spin, just re Ruscoe and size. I think certain players regardless of size can either play tall or small. I don’t believe Ruscoe plays tall regardless of his size. Your May example is his uniqueness that he can play on anyone from the Hawkins/ Dixon brutes to a mid size Fwd. If you take Doedee at 190 cm being a KPP and even Rampe is rated as a KPP and has played on the big boys all his career at only 187cm.
Ruscoe isn’t very good overhead whilst Murphy definitely is. These May/ Doedee / Rampe types back themselves in 1 on 1’s to out mark or position their opponents something Ruscoe can’t do yet.
I think that we are agreed Ruscoe is not he full package, and he’ll need to make major steps forward this year or he’ll be at risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back