Preview Key non-Geelong matches that shape our top 4 hopes

Who are you predicting for top 4

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne Port should be a great game - neither team can afford to lose and both play good looking football most of the time

Disagree. We still have a game against North that we should look to boost it. And it's not that far off Port or Melbourne's % either.

Wouldn't think North in Tassie would be a % booster. They are much improved, hard to beat down there and the conditions are more likely to suit a low scoring scrap.

St K and GWS at home are more likely to be % boosters IMO.

St K and GWS at home are more likely to be % boosters IMO.
re: North, depends on whether they've given up by then. Some clubs out of the 8 starting resting players and putting them in for surgery.

I don't have either of them (saints or gws) finishing top 8 (see above) , so I agree they could be % boosters if they're mathematically out.

It's a pretty good year when there really aren't that many easy games, North can't play 4 good qtrs but have been challenging teams the last few weeks. So often when you think it's pretty predicable and unlikely upset occurs to throw it all out of wack.
That being said the Dogs and Brisbane do seem to be the form sides of the comp and I think will go 1 & 2 from here. Surely Port don't make the 4 considering they've beaten no one of importance. Our final game against the Dees is shaping up to be the final before the final, winner gets top 4. Think our danger game before then is Freo at Optus, we don't seem to play that ground well at all and Freo are good enough to cause the upset over there.

I think there's a very strong pack. You can make robust arguments for all 5 sides winning the premiership. How many times have we been able to say that in round 17?
I think it’s a weak group because the best team isn’t even in the top 5 or the 8. We just aren’t going to agree mate.

Cup half empty vs full

The Power doubters are vindicated.

One down, two to go. Well, one to go assuming Port is not going to beat the Bulldogs in Victoria...

We now have to wait a few weeks for the next interesting neutral game - Dees v Dogs in Round 20. The top five should all win through to that match. Assume no upsets against the top 5 (a reasonably big “if”, I accept):

If Melbourne d Bulldogs…

Dees will finish minor Premiers if they beat Geelong in Round 23. Geelong and Melbourne will likely meet again in the QF.

Dogs will likely finish minor Premiers if Geelong d Melbourne in Round 23. There’s a small chance Lions could if they pass the Dogs on percentage. Geelong would most likely finish 3rd or 4th on percentage unless they bank big wins in the next few weeks. QF opponent for Geelong too difficult to predict given all of that, but probably won’t be Melbourne.

If Bulldogs d Dees…

Bulldogs sew up the minor Premiership and the others are playing for 2nd.

If Geelong d Melbourne in Round 23 Dees will fall to 4th and we head to the Gabba for the QF.

If Melbourne d Geelong, we likely fall to 4th on percentage and face the Dogs in the QF.

A lot of “ifs” there, granted, but that Dees-Dogs game is just so important from here.

The Power doubters are vindicated.

One down, two to go. Well, one to go assuming Port is not going to beat the Bulldogs in Victoria...

We now have to wait a few weeks for the next interesting neutral game - Dees v Dogs in Round 20. The top five should all win through to that match. Assume no upsets against the top 5 (a reasonably big “if”, I accept):

If Melbourne d Bulldogs…

Dees will finish minor Premiers if they beat Geelong in Round 23. Geelong and Melbourne will likely meet again in the QF.

Dogs will likely finish minor Premiers if Geelong d Melbourne in Round 23. There’s a small chance Lions could if they pass the Dogs on percentage. Geelong would most likely finish 3rd or 4th on percentage unless they bank big wins in the next few weeks. QF opponent for Geelong too difficult to predict given all of that, but probably won’t be Melbourne.

If Bulldogs d Dees…

Bulldogs sew up the minor Premiership and the others are playing for 2nd.

If Geelong d Melbourne in Round 23 Dees will fall to 4th and we head to the Gabba for the QF.

If Melbourne d Geelong, we likely fall to 4th on percentage and face the Dogs in the QF.

A lot of “ifs” there, granted, but that Dees-Dogs game is just so important from here.
Mark me down as being incorrect on port. They're done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, none of us necessarily saw the St Kilda bus running over the Lions like that.

(And that helps explain why I'm more generally positive than negative about things. There are so many variables that I might as well enjoy things for what they are. It's only a game. Brisbane were on fire against us, but got smashed by St Kilda - we've looked unbeatable on occasions and ugly on others.)

Well, none of us necessarily saw the St Kilda bus running over the Lions like that.

(And that helps explain why I'm more generally positive than negative about things. There are so many variables that I might as well enjoy things for what they are. It's only a game. Brisbane were on fire against us, but got smashed by St Kilda - we've looked unbeatable on occasions and ugly on others.)
Yes, this has completely blown up my forecasting and seriously called into question the wisdom in spending time doing it!

So in the last 6 rounds leading up to the finals we meet Freo, Rich, the Roos, GWS, St Kilda and Melbourne.
Of those, I would pencil us in for 4 or 5 wins minimum which would take us to 17-5 or 16-6. Either is pretty handy.

So in the last 6 rounds leading up to the finals we meet Freo, Rich, the Roos, GWS, St Kilda and Melbourne.
Of those, I would pencil us in for 4 or 5 wins minimum which would take us to 17-5 or 16-6. Either is pretty handy.
We should make the top 4 from here 100%.....We’ve broken the back of the hard part of the draw now.

Back