Key Pillars

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
This is a big trade period for the club. But it's a big off season off field too.

It's often stated that your key pillars need to be on the same page.
President/Chairman
CEO
Senior Coach
Football Manager
Assistant Coaches
Strength & Conditioning Boss

With Bell favoured to get the CEO job at North and Josh Carr tipped to head back to Port those moves could really be bad news for Freo.

I thought Peter Bell's name was just a speculator for the North CEO job? Grist for the mill.

Also, Carr going back to Port would be interesting. You'd think they'd have to be selling him some angle for top job prospects there. Career-wise he's much better off heading somewhere else otherwise or sticking fat here if he likes it comfortable/wants to consolidate.

With Bell favoured to get the CEO job at North
Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

I thought Peter Bell's name was just a speculator for the North CEO job? Grist for the mill.

Also, Carr going back to Port would be interesting. You'd think they'd have to be selling him some angle for top job prospects there. Career-wise he's much better off heading somewhere else otherwise or sticking fat here if he likes it comfortable/wants to consolidate.

That's a bizarre thing with Carr.
They're effectively restricting themselves to one mane to replace Kern.
Strange

Why would Bell seriously want to be the enforcer on a micromanager coach like Clarkson? Didn’t he have enough of that with Ross?
And conversely, why would Clarkson want to partner with Bell who has been rumoured to have white anted the coach as captain and as colleague.

It just isn't a match made in heaven no matter which way you slice it.

Jamie Graham is also one of the favourites to get the Bombers job. If we lose Bell, Carr and Graham it's really bad news.

I only see Bell leaving as bad news. I'm totally confident that we can easily replace Graham and Carr but it'll be a bit tougher to replace Bell. Having said that, I'd be surprised if Bell leaves and or Graham gets the Bombers gig.

We'll be fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bell leaves, could we angle for Pyke as head of football?

Joel Corey into the midfield coaching position, Mundy into development?

If Graham leaves, would seriously look at JJK as a replacement, wonder if Matty Lloyd would like a holiday for a couple of years? :think:

I wonder if Josh Kennedy is going to coach now that he's retired - he'd be a good replacement for Carr if he goes albeit a bit inexperienced.

If Bell leaves he is dead to me. Call me old school or a romantic but footy clubs arent soulless corporations that you jump between. This isnt like going from COO or CFO at Santos to CEO at Woodside. Bells attempt at FIFO playing from Geraldton during his last year never sat well with me.
Freo delisting Bell after one game never sat well with me, fact is AFL footy is big business and the players work at the coal face. Money ruins everything when it comes to sport. Local clubs have more heart and soul.

Last edited:
If Bell leaves he is dead to me. Call me old school or a romantic but footy clubs arent soulless corporations that you jump between. This isnt like going from COO or CFO at Santos to CEO at Woodside. Bells attempt at FIFO playing from Geraldton during his last year never sat well with me.

Bell won two flags with the Roos. He'd have a soft spot for them. Going back with another former Roo in Clarko and turning them around might appeal to him.

I hope he says but it would be for more than a cash grab if he left imo.

I'd be less phased than some if Bell went.

The state of our list and playing group at the moment is much more down to Walls than Bell. We've drafted well with mid-range picks in recent times and very well with top picks and that's not Bell at all. The moves he has had a hand in with trades and FA's he's running at about 50% or maybe slightly better but certainly not to any degree that makes him irreplaceable. He's also partly responsible for the last S&C team hanging on longer than they should have.

He's a pretty divisive personality which is fine, antagonists have their place too. I'd be concerned handing the whole shop to him.

I'm all for keeping the current band together despite my doubts about Bell and the trading side of the gig.

Its a pretty big trade period for us. When you look at what those around and below us look like doing, internal improvement alone won't cut it for us next year. Port will be back up and about I think and looking at getting some decent players in, Brissie will be better if they get Dunkley, Richmond if they land their 2 would expect to be on the up too, Collingwood might have a few coming in.

We have some forced activity coming and if we make the most of it it'll be great, but if we stub our toe it'll drop us down a bit.

I'd be less phased than some if Bell went.

The state of our list and playing group at the moment is much more down to Walls than Bell. We've drafted well with mid-range picks in recent times and very well with top picks and that's not Bell at all. The moves he has had a hand in with trades and FA's he's running at about 50% or maybe slightly better but certainly not to any degree that makes him irreplaceable. He's also partly responsible for the last S&C team hanging on longer than they should have.

He's a pretty divisive personality which is fine, antagonists have their place too. I'd be concerned handing the whole shop to him.

I'm all for keeping the current band together despite my doubts about Bell and the trading side of the gig.

Its a pretty big trade period for us. When you look at what those around and below us look like doing, internal improvement alone won't cut it for us next year. Port will be back up and about I think and looking at getting some decent players in, Brissie will be better if they get Dunkley, Richmond if they land their 2 would expect to be on the up too, Collingwood might have a few coming in.

We have some forced activity coming and if we make the most of it it'll be great, but if we stub our toe it'll drop us down a bit.

Well based on that, I hope your poor view of Bell is wrong (which I think it is) or we should piss him off now because you're spot on, we HAVE to get this off season right!!!

My
Well based on that, I hope your poor view of Bell is wrong (which I think it is) or we should piss him off now because you're spot on, we HAVE to get this off season right!!!
I agree on the importance of this period for sure.

My view of Bell isn’t poor, I do think he’s getting too much credit for the list.

My

My view of Bell isn’t poor, I do think he’s getting too much credit for the list.

He's highly involved with our list management and from what I've heard, that's where most of his passion lies. He, JL and Walls work closely together on all the list/recruitment decisions from what I've heard.

My

Everyone has their flaws but it just feels like Garlick, JLo, Bell, Walls, Carr, Bob Murphy, etc work well together. If one or 2 of them depart it upsets the apple cart.

Everyone has their flaws but it just feels like Garlick, JLo, Bell, Walls, Carr, Bob Murphy, etc work well together. If one or 2 of them depart it upsets the apple cart.
I think they do but I'm less fussed about assistant coaches getting promotions elsewhere. If Jamie Graham gets the bombers job then talented young coaches will see Freo as a place to get recognised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back